Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Basil3 wrote: »
    emmetlego wrote: »
    He's staying, has already signed a 2 year extension. They've even started using the 'war chest' line again. I give up

Who is they? The media?
    The media have been briefed. When you see the head writers all come out with the same story, then you know they've been briefed. This is going to get nastier and nastier.

The media have been briefed. When you see the head writers all come out with the same story, then you know they've been briefed. This is going to get nastier and nastier.

So they're briefed on who our next manager is and who we're signing as well?

Unless it's an official statement from the club, I'd ignore everything. Makes life a lot more bearable.

Basil3 wrote: »

So they're briefed on who our next manager is and who we're signing as well.
    Where did I say that? This is happening, time to accept it! All the top writers have started to say it, they're getting their info from within the club, it's being drip fed to us deliberately.

Where did I say that? This is happening, time to accept it! All the top writers have started to say it, they're getting their info from within the club, it's being drip fed to us deliberately.

I won't believe it until Ornstein tweets it :pac:

What do I have to accept? That the media are being drip-fed info about a war chest? I'm happy to remain in denial, and not get worked up over nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

gitzy16v wrote: »
    And Kroenke using Arsenal to secure loans to build new stadiums for his real love...American Sport...Kroenke is the cancer thats gripped our club he needs to go before anything changes regardless if AW has lost it or not..nothing will change until the ownership changes.

From what I've read they aren't even his real love. His love is money, none of his sports teams are successful at anything other than making it. They all suck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

He's slimy but I'd happily take him as owner now over Kroenke

The sneaky Russians!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvxId7f0Ack

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

What a way to bow out from international football. Love this guy, always wish he had featured a bit more for us. Hard to believe he's only 31, seems to have been around forever

https://twitter.com/AFCvideosHD/status/844661997513949186

Always had a great jibe for Podolski, best finisher in the club for several years and a likeable fella. Proved again tonight, in the better system, he can score goals. Arsene used him badly and he was at a loss for us, yet another class act that failed at our club under Arsene.

Always had a great jibe for Podolski, best finisher in the club for several years and a likeable fella. Proved again tonight, in the better system, he can score goals. Arsene used him badly and he was at a loss for us, yet another class act that failed at our club under Arsene.

He scored 19 in 60, so say 1 in 3, hardly played through the middle and I'd say his per 90 numbers look even better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Podolski another striker wenger just bombed out of the club. Bought to appease the fans just to get a striker...any striker, much like Perez this summer. Then unfancied and thrown on the scrap heap.

Four more years!
    Four more years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Wenger has ruined more careers than he has made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Jesus, all very revisionist here. Podolski was good, but never great.

Come on, there are enough things actually wrong without pretending he was better than he was.

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Come on, there are enough things actually wrong without pretending he was better than he was.

Like Perez he wasn't given a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Podolski may not have been all that, but there was definitely occasions in the latter half of his Arsenal career when what he had to offer could have been put to better use. He seemed to spend a lot of time on the bench when the team was searching for goals and Yaya Sanogo was being turned to instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

Any idea when is most likely that Wenger will confirm what's happening? Seems to be dragging on a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    Any idea when is most likely that Wenger will confirm what's happening? Seems to be dragging on a bit.

We all know whats going to happen. At least at the moment we can pretend there is still a chance he will leave

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

wawaman wrote: »
    We all know whats going to happen. At least at the moment we can pretend there is still a chance he will leave

It's not on the BBC or anything yet so how can you be so sure?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    It's not on the BBC or anything yet so how can you be so sure?

Rumours are it is going to be after the international break but in reality I won't expect anything concrete until after the FA cup or until the the end of the season.

Arghus wrote: »
    Podolski may not have been all that, but there was definitely occasions in the latter half of his Arsenal career when what he had to offer could have been put to better use. He seemed to spend a lot of time on the bench when the team was searching for goals and Yaya Sanogo was being turned to instead.

Very true, and Wenger insisted on playing him on the wing a lot, when he did most of his scoring when he played up top. A brilliant finisher, probably the best in the club at the time he was here, criminally under-used!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Lukas himself doesn't have a bad word to say about Arsene...

http://www.independent.co.uk/arsene-wenger-arsenal-latest-news-a7645161.html

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,408 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Very true, and Wenger insisted on playing him on the wing a lot, when he did most of his scoring when he played up top. A brilliant finisher, probably the best in the club at the time he was here, criminally under-used!

He generally played better on the wing for Arsenal, anytime he started up top he didn't do very well from what I remember.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    He generally played better on the wing for Arsenal, anytime he started up top he didn't do very well from what I remember.
    Seems to be a fairly common thing the last few years, we either play with someone slow (Giroud), useless (Sanogo/Welbeck) or someone decent (Podolski/Sanchez) and the "system" falls apart.

Seems to be a fairly common thing the last few years, we either play with someone slow (Giroud), useless (Sanogo/Welbeck) or someone decent (Podolski/Sanchez) and the "system" falls apart.

The failings of our "system" are more often to do with the other end of the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I always thought Poldi would work extremely well if both he and Giroud played up front together.

But then again, I've thought that if Giroud was part of a front two with most of our other strikers/forwards, from an attacking perspective we could be much better. But like you said, I'm sure our defensive system would then inevitably fall apart.

What annoys me most though, is that Wenger has never even tried to play two up front, not even as an experiment during a nothing game (unless we are desperate in the last few minutes of a game). Then again, he hasn't changed formation in years to try to counter the opposition or even set up the team accordingly depending on the opposition so I really shouldn't expect anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Arghus wrote: »
    He seemed to spend a lot of time on the bench when the team was searching for goals and Yaya Sanogo was being turned to instead.

Mother of Christ the frustration returned!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

If Wenger leaves my gut feeling says Ozil and Sanchez will leave too. Really thought Last Season was the best chance for us to win the Prem. Be interesting to see what happens when this season ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

5star02707 wrote: »
    If Wenger leaves my gut feeling says Ozil and Sanchez will leave too. Really thought Last Season was the best chance for us to win the Prem. Be interesting to see what happens when this season ends.

Sanchez is gone regardless, I actually think we would have a better chance of Sanchez staying if Wenger was gone. Sanchez is leaving due to lack of ambition on behalf of the club imo.

I'm resigned to Sanchez leaving, so long as it's abroad. If he was sold to another English club, that would really sum up the state of the club, right now.

Sanchez is gone regardless, I actually think we would have a better chance of Sanchez staying if Wenger was gone. Sanchez is leaving due to lack of ambition on behalf of the club imo.

I'm resigned to Sanchez leaving, so long as it's abroad. If he was sold to another English club, that would really sum up the state of the club, right now.
    Vieira and RvP left for them exact reasons. This isn't a new reason for players to leave us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Fully agree on this, Sanchez is at his peak & needs to win trophies "now". Wouldn't mind him leaving so long as it's outside the UK, then again we don't acquire a player of his calibre often. Hopefully a decent replacement and a workhorse too. One thing's for sure it ain't Arsenal without the roller coaster moments.

If the club had any ambition, they would have signed Suarez instead of him :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Fully agree on this, Sanchez is at his peak & needs to win trophies "now". Wouldn't mind him leaving so long as it's outside the UK, then again we don't acquire a player of his calibre often. Hopefully a decent replacement and a workhorse too. One thing's for sure it ain't Arsenal without the roller coaster moments.

Who could we get as a viable replacement for Sanchez? It would cost a bomb to get a similar player talent wise. He contributes so much in terms of goals and assists to this team. Without champions league football (real possibility next season) this task will become even more difficult.

Every summer I always expect Arsenal to try and strengthen their team and squad for the following this season. This summer I really think they are going to struggle to keep the squad any way competitive.
    Previous summers are starting to expose the squad. Still not forgiven Wenger and the board for only signing Cech in summer 2015. A couple of outfield players may have been the difference of winning the league and not. That would have made a massive difference going forward in the following seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Definitely Wenger's best chance of winning it, he's knows he has no chance now.

I think Alexis will leave no matter if Wenger stays or a new manager comes in. He's really looked like he's been out the door for a few months now.

Ozil, if he's offered crazy money and no big club comes in for him he probably stay. would going to Turkey be a major stepdown for him?

Could you imagine the uproar when Alexis,Ozil and I think add in Ox and Wilshire decide to leave us for other PL teams. Then Wenger announces he's staying for two more years, and he starts complaining about transfer markets, the media and the fans asking for too much. He's one defeat away from things turning really nasty for him.

Going to be some crazy crash TV for us Arsenal fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

farna_boy wrote: »
    Rumours are it is going to be after the international break but in reality I won't expect anything concrete until after the FA cup or until the the end of the season.

I think for the Board and himself I think he should leave it until after the Everton game, cause I could see things getting very abusive and protests getting bigger if he announces anytime during the remainder of the season. I think a win over Spurs or getting to the final they will probably announce it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Any potential player considering Arsenal as a future or a move, would do his homework and look at the set up, the wins, manager and titles. The first thing he would see is the annual collapse of the team. Putting two and two together and decide there are better options.

Why do I get the feeling that after missing aitter and sitter Ramsey will finally play a stormer tonight? :p

Why do I get the feeling that after missing aitter and sitter Ramsey will finally play a stormer tonight? :p

MOTM for sure!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Ramsey only looks good for Wales cos he's surrounded by Championship standard players outside of Bale

Ramsey only looks good for Wales cos he's surrounded by Championship standard players outside of Bale

He's shocking tonight.

He took McLean's yellow card. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

He's shocking tonight.

So basically how he's been for Arsenal :)

Looks like Ramsey's found his level.

Ugh, whatever happens, whoever we sign, he's still I charge. 2 more years :(

Tis quiet in here lads. I see Ozil played half an hour yesterday for ze Germans. Ox played the full game for England. Didnt really pay too much attention to what else is going on though I did read an article about Sanchez storming off down the tunnel after losing to Argentina. The players werent too happy with him not taking time to thank the fans, not sure if that was just another lazy article or if there was any truth in it

wonga77 wrote: »
    Tis quiet in here lads. I see Ozil played half an hour yesterday for ze Germans. Ox played the full game for England. Didnt really pay too much attention to what else is going on though I did read an article about Sanchez storming off down the tunnel after losing to Argentina. The players werent too happy with him not taking time to thank the fans, not sure if that was just another lazy article or if there was any truth in it

Saw a short video of him looking very annoyed after the Chile game. Perhaps he's considering a transfer to Brazil ? :D

Giroud scored a brace against Luxembourg but also looked partly responsible for the penalty that briefly brought the minnows back into the game.

France Spain tomorrow night should be a decent friendly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,662 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

Very quiet in here.
    Eurosport running a headline "Henry: I can't rule out taking over from Arsene in the summer".
    Still in work and can't watch the vid so what's all about? Just nonsense?

Very quiet in here.
    Eurosport running a headline "Henry: I can't rule out taking over from Arsene in the summer".
    Still in work and can't watch the vid so what's all about? Just nonsense?

http://www.getfootballnewsfrance.com/2017/thierry-henry-on-the-arsenal-job-it-is-the-club-of-my-heart/

Pretty much...

• Advertisement

no hiding what's wrong with the club this season...

Points away at the Top 10 2016-17
    Liv 13
    Spurs & Che 10
    City 9
    Man U 6
    W Ham & Eve 5pts
    5 teams 4
    Boro 3
    3 teams 2pts
    Sun, Hull, Bur & Ars 1

why have we failed so badly playing away this season. That stat is simply appalling!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

greendom wrote: »
    no hiding what's wrong with the club this season...

Points away at the Top 10 2016-17
    Liv 13
    Spurs & Che 10
    City 9
    Man U 6
    W Ham & Eve 5pts
    5 teams 4
    Boro 3
    3 teams 2pts
    Sun, Hull, Bur & Ars 1

why have we failed so badly playing away this season. That stat is simply appalling!

That's shocking

Conte makes Sanchez his number 1 target
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/28/chelsea-arsenal-alexis-sanchez-no1-summer-transfer-target?CMP=share_btn_tw

Tbh I think he's gone anyway but let him off to Italy or PSG and not to anyone else in the premiership

wonga77 wrote: »
    Conte makes Sanchez his number 1 target
    https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/mar/28/chelsea-arsenal-alexis-sanchez-no1-summer-transfer-target?CMP=share_btn_tw

Tbh I think he's gone anyway but let him off to Italy or PSG and not to anyone else in the premiership
    £100m TO Chelsea, £50M to anyone else.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement