Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,513 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Quazzie wrote: »
    £100m TO Chelsea, £50M to anyone else.

Absolutely not.

1. He's worth FAR more than £50 million.

2. Even £100 million from Chelsea or another premier league team does NOTHING but boost our fat cats pockets. There's already enough money in the bank THEY ARENT SPENDING.

3. He HAS to go, even with a new manager (wishful thinking) I think he's already too far gone in terms of being disalusuoned at arsenal for him to be a positive figure.

4. Sell him to to a club far away from England.

I do not want another RVP incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Leave him off, sure we still have Sanogo

Absolutely not.

1. He's worth FAR more than £50 million.

2. Even £100 million from Chelsea or another premier league team does NOTHING but boost our fat cats pockets. There's already enough money in the bank THEY ARENT SPENDING.

3. He HAS to go, even with a new manager (wishful thinking) I think he's already too far gone in terms of being disalusuoned at arsenal for him to be a positive figure.

4. Sell him to to a club far away from England.

I do not want another RVP incident.

He's not worth far more than 50m, because he only has a year left on his contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Basil3 wrote: »
    He's not worth far more than 50m, because he only has a year left on his contract.

It really depends on who is buying. Chinese clubor another prrm club 50+ is realistic

If it's to a European team I think it's 35/40

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

cuckoo cuckoo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

If he'd actually be willing to stay if he got 250k a week its outrageous we're not giving it to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I think 50 million for a player with a year left in his contract is about as much as anyone could ever hope to get. And if he doesn't really want to be there, what other choice do you have?

Arghus wrote: »
    I think 50 million for a player with a year left in his contract is about as much as anyone could ever hope to get. And if he doesn't really want to be there, what other choice do you have?

50 million plus £1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

greendom wrote: »
    no hiding what's wrong with the club this season...

Points away at the Top 10 2016-17
    Liv 13
    Spurs & Che 10
    City 9
    Man U 6
    W Ham & Eve 5pts
    5 teams 4
    Boro 3
    3 teams 2pts
    Sun, Hull, Bur & Ars 1

why have we failed so badly playing away this season. That stat is simply appalling!

I just checked the league table there. From the current top 10 as it stands, we still have to go away to Spurs, Stoke and Southampton. Three grounds that we don't fare well at. So that record could look even worse by the seasons end.

Speaking of Stoke, just from memory I think we have only ever won their once in the premier league era. That being the match that Ramsey broke his leg and that took two 90+ min goals to clinch the win that day. Why are Arsenal so poor at that ground? It's a mid table side in general ffs, yet can't buy a win there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I just checked the league table there. From the current top 10 as it stands, we still have to go away to Spurs, Stoke and Southampton. Three grounds that we don't fare well at. So that record could look even worse by the seasons end.

Speaking of Stoke, just from memory I think we have only ever won their once in the premier league era. That being the match that Ramsey broke his leg and that took two 90+ min goals to clinch the win that day. Why are Arsenal so poor at that ground? It's a mid table side in general ffs, yet can't buy a win there.

Because we're soft southerners who dont like it up them. Or to translate, thugs like Charlie Adam and Ryan Shawcross are allowed kick lumps out of our players without any consequence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

keano_afc wrote: »
    Because we're soft southerners who dont like it up them. Or to translate, thugs like Charlie Adam and Ryan Shawcross are allowed kick lumps out of our players without any consequence.

I think more like Arsenal players are little wimps

keano_afc wrote: »

Load of rubbish.

I didn't see any problems when Tony Adams or Patrick Vieira was doing the same for us. It's what we need right now as opposed to the pussies we have now. The likes of Walcott pulling out of tackles makes me want to vomit. Pure wasters.

Load of rubbish.

I didn't see any problems when Tony Adams or Patrick Vieira was doing the same for us. It's what we need right now as opposed to the pussies we have now. The likes of Walcott pulling out of tackles makes me want to vomit. Pure wasters.

If i had a dollar for every time I've heard about Theo pulling out of that one tackle :pac:

If i had a dollar for every time I've heard about Theo pulling out of that one tackle :pac:

It's not just that one tackle though..

It's not just that one tackle though..

Yeah, that's the one that sticks in the mind, though. I'm sure you could rattle off a list of all the tackles he's pulled out of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Yeah, that's the one that sticks in the mind, though. I'm sure you could rattle off a list of all the tackles he's pulled out of.

Funny im not sure they do stats for chicken sh1t players...Id love to see how many hes pulled out of, if I had a dollar for every one I reckon id have at least $50

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Theo Walcott isn't the reason we're where we are this year. Of the top seven this year we're third in goals scored (56) which is Walcott's objective. We're also 1st in the league for goals scored away from home, despite our horrendous form overall away from home.

However we're second for goals allowed in the top seven (34), more than 50% higher than Chelsea, United and Spurs. Clearly our defence (particularly our FBs imo) and CM difficulties are the cause of our downfall.

As easy as it is to blame Walcott for this season he shouldn't be the lightning rod to vent your anger on.

domrush wrote: »
    Theo Walcott isn't the reason we're where we are this year. Of the top seven this year we're third in goals scored (56) which is Walcott's objective. We're also 1st in the league for goals scored away from home, despite our horrendous form overall away from home.

However we're second for goals allowed in the top seven (34), more than 50% higher than Chelsea, United and Spurs. Clearly our defence (particularly our FBs imo) and CM difficulties are the cause of our downfall.

As easy as it is to blame Walcott for this season he shouldn't be the lightning rod to vent your anger on.

Nobody is blaming Walcott for our horrendous season...???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

domrush wrote: »

Ah fcuk it...they are all going to get my anger at some stage,the lot of them.
    Just Walcotts turn today:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭Underground

So Sanchez wants to stay in London but at a team that "is a winner"; the latest quotes doing the rounds.

Hard to know if they've been taken out of context (likely) and he meant that this team itself needs to adopt a winning mentality, but expect this to be a talking point over the next few days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 245 ✭✭lanomist

domrush wrote:

domrush wrote:

domrush wrote:

I agree one hundred per cent. Our backs and defenceive midfielders have been our downfall this year. I realise the buck stops with Wenger but What is Steve Bold getting paid for. He is our defensive coach.He and he is doing a poor job of it. The amount of soft goals and goals from set pieces is a disgrace. If Wenger does sing a new contract one of the first things he should do is to replace Bold a with defenceive coach with a proven track record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Every other top 4 team pretty much always has an out and out highly regarded striker. Imo we haven't had one since Henry, except Eduardo who could have been amazing if it weren't for Martin Taylor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Every other top 4 team pretty much always has an out and out highly regarded striker. Imo we haven't had one since Henry, except Eduardo who could have been amazing if it weren't for Martin Taylor.

We need to ask Athletico Madrid how they find them so easily

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Cough

nicklas-bendtner-jpg0-84619800-1473227826.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Van Persie for 18 months

Then he was sold :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Press conference this morning, he was pushed several times by reporters to name his date and say whether he was staying, he said if he is staying 2 months or 2 years his commitment will be as always 100%. He was pushed several times to say why he's not announcing, and it got a bit tetchy. He's a stubborn mule! To me it sounds like he has already signed it and is just afraid to announce!

Other news. Cazorla is out for rest of season, Cech is out for this weekend, but maybe available for following game. Sanchez's injury was a kick and he is available for the weekend. Not that it makes any difference, City will give us a paddling in our current form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

We need to ask Athletico Madrid how they find them so easily

We can ask Simeone that question when he arrives at Arsenal this summer. Although that problem will be solved because he'll have Griezmann in tow :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Sanchez making noises about seeing out his contract. Although I'd prefer to have a player like him for another season rather than £50m the club won't spend, you'd have to think he'll stay in the premier league if he's a free agent going to the highest bidder. Would prefer to see him sold abroad this summer.

Sanchez making noises about seeing out his contract. Although I'd prefer to have a player like him for another season rather than £50m the club won't spend, you'd have to think he'll stay in the premier league if he's a free agent going to the highest bidder. Would prefer to see him sold abroad this summer.

Yeah usually I'd be all for letting him run out his contract, but they can't risk him signing for another premier league team on a free. So he either signs a new deal with Arsenal this summer or be sold to another European team. He can't be sold to another Premier league team at any price, it would just look so bad and completely alienate the fan base even more.

It's infuriating how Arsenal/Wenger have had a genuine top talent the past three years but haven't supplemented the squad with players to compete.

It's infuriating how Arsenal/Wenger have had a genuine top talent the past three years but haven't supplemented the squad with players to compete.

The thing is that our weakness isn't with attacking, it's always with defence. You'd feel that with the signings of Mustafi/Xhaka/Elneny, we would have been a bit more solid defensively through the middle and in the back 4. Hasn't worked out that way.

• Advertisement

The thing is that our weakness isn't with attacking, it's always with defence. You'd feel that with the signings of Mustafi/Xhaka/Elneny, we would have been a bit more solid defensively through the middle and in the back 4. Hasn't worked out that way.
    Elneny - no mark.
    Xhaka - no mark, but an expensive one.
    Mustafi - looks very poor.

Again, our issue is set-up. We've replaced most of the team bit by bit over the last few years but it's the same issues with shape and support that see us get done over and over.

I like Giroud don't get me wrong, but I think a genuine top quality forward with pace should and could have been added over the past few seasons. This would have got more out of Ozil and with Sanchez left or right made the attack even more potent. Giroud doesn't compliment Ozil imo, a forward who can run in behind is what's needed with a player like Ozil.

We have fired a few blanks over the last few seasons on the pitch, so I think the attack is far from a strong point. The midfield has been a major problem with how badly the defence has looked, as they simply don't protect the back 4. A defensively suspect midfield would make the great back 4s look like clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Elneny - no mark.
    Xhaka - no mark, but an expensive one.
    Mustafi - looks very poor.

Again, our issue is set-up. We've replaced most of the team bit by bit over the last few years but it's the same issues with shape and support that see us get done over and over.

Elneny is one of the very few players to emerge from this season with any credit.

Always at least looks like he's trying. I know there's more to it than that, but if they all worked like he does, we'd be perfectly fine (albeit with some strengthening to do).

He should always start, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Sad thing is that I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if we sold Sanchez to another Premier league club...even Chelsea.

We have a history of making stupid decisions and selling talent to our rivals. Ok if we lose Sanchez or Ozil then so be it, but they have to keep them out of the hands of the likes of Man Utd/City, Chelsea.

Andip wrote: »
    Sad thing is that I genuinely wouldn't be surprised if we sold Sanchez to another Premier league club...even Chelsea.

We have a history of making stupid decisions and selling talent to our rivals. Ok if we lose Sanchez or Ozil then so be it, but they have to keep them out of the hands of the likes of Man Utd/City, Chelsea.

I'd be surprised if we have both Ozil and Sanchez by next September...or one of them for that matter.

If they're sold to another prem team forget the unrest about Arsene being given a two year contract....there will be fücking riots at the emirates.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I like Giroud don't get me wrong, but I think a genuine top quality forward with pace should and could have been added over the past few seasons. This would have got more out of Ozil and with Sanchez left or right made the attack even more potent. Giroud doesn't compliment Ozil imo, a forward who can run in behind is what's needed with a player like Ozil.

We have fired a few blanks over the last few seasons on the pitch, so I think the attack is far from a strong point. The midfield has been a major problem with how badly the defence has looked, as they simply don't protect the back 4. A defensively suspect midfield would make the great back 4s look like clowns.

Not sure I agree about Giroud and Ozil. Didn't they have a really good streak going last season? It only seemed to stop when Sanchez came back into the squad, for whatever reason.

I still think Xhaka and Mustafi could be really good for us, but we won't see it until next season. The problem in defence seems to be that if Kos is out there is a massive drop off in quality or possibly it's a lack organisational ability when he isn't on the pitch.

I think we might have to look to replace Cazorla though. We lose out massively when he doesn't play and realistically I'm not sure that he will play another full season for us without getting injured.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I'd be surprised if we have both Ozil and Sanchez by next September...or one of them for that matter.

If they're sold to another prem team forget the unrest about Arsene being given a two year contract....there will be fücking riots at the emirates.

Would there though??

Everyone said the same about RVP, Nasri and Clichy

As a Liverpool fan if we were offered 50 million by Barca for Coutinho or 70 million by United I wouldnt bat an eyelid at selling to United. I mean who cares if he goes there. As long as the money is spent ona replacement it doesnt matter.

After Torres left Liverpool I swore I would never get attached to Liverpool players again. I didnt care when Suarez left. Sure it sucked but teams move on.

When Henry left ye moved on. When Cesc left ye moved on. When Ozil and Sanchez leave (either now or in 10 years) ye will move on.

Ye are Arsenal fc not Ozil and Sanchez fc

As for Wenger the guy needs to just relax the ego and bring in a director of football to handle contracts and stuff. Its no coincidence that when Wenger started handling that stuff the focus left the football.

Best case scenario for ye is Ozil and Sanchez sign an extension with a pay rise and release clause for foreign clubs only. Then Wenger announces he is signing a one year contract to give the club a chance to bring in the right man for the job and to get the club ready for a new manager to step in with a proper director of football.

That way Wenger can just spend next season trying to go out on a high and the fans will get behind his one last parade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

I very much doubt there will to be honest. I'd expect the Arsenal online community to go into nuclear mode but I genuinely suspect the vitriol over such a decision would remain largely online & not transfer to the stands to any large extent, simply because not enough people care enough to take it that far.

Similar was said when RvP was leaving, all the talk was 'flog him to Juve, Milan, Madrid, Munich, whoever but not a PL rival' then when he went to United what actually happened? S.F.A. Rinse & repeat for Sanchez.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    I very much doubt there will to be honest. I'd expect the Arsenal online community to go into nuclear mode but I genuinely suspect the vitriol over such a decision would remain largely online & not transfer to the stands to any large extent, simply because not enough people care enough to take it that far.

Similar was said when RvP was leaving, all the talk was 'flog him to Juve, Milan, Madrid, Munich, whoever but not a PL rival' then when he went to United what actually happened? S.F.A. Rinse & repeat for Sanchez.

Back in 2012 when he sold Van Persie I don't think Wenger was under nearly as much scrutiny as he is today. The premier league competition is probably more competitive now as well.

Imagine Selling Sanchez to a premier league rival, probably no champions league football on offer for new signings and getting himself a new 2 year contract with a salary rise all in the same summer. I don't know how he could justify that and keep a straight face. We would be completely ****ed for years to come and would need to rebuild. So would be pointless having Wenger there for another two years overseeeing that.

Back in 2012 when he sold Van Persie I don't think Wenger was under nearly as much scrutiny as he is today. The premier league competition is probably more competitive now as well.

Imagine Selling Sanchez to a premier league rival, probably no champions league football on offer for new signings and getting himself a new 2 year contract with a salary rise all in the same summer. I don't know how he could justify that and keep a straight face. We would be completely ****ed for years to come and would need to rebuild. So would be pointless having Wenger there for another two years overseeeing that.

We're in a different position now. We can afford to sell a player for less money, if it means selling them abroad. We didn't really have that luxury for a good few years, it was all about balancing the books and buying players in the £10-15m bracket.

This is why there will be murder if we sell to a rival.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

If Sanchez is sold to Chelsea Wengers head will be wanted on a plate,fair enough he's leaving but sell him out foreign and cash in the way transfer prices are lately we should be demanding nothing less then 60/70 million. Wenger can't keep getting away with holding out an answer whether he's staying or going the board are a joke we won't win the fa cup and won't get top 4 not being negative being realistic,il take no champions league football next year if it means that deluded man will go the legacy he created is crumbling and it's no fault but his own should have left years ago if he signs a new deal things will turn very sour. Ozil will probably leave too and if it means he will only stay if Wenger stays I say good riddance to the two. Some amount of deadwood and changes needed in the club I'll support my team through good and bad times but my god you can't start to rebuild with half the foundation still rotting away underneath. Kills me to say it but Van Persie was right to leave .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Rumours - the latest (highlighted by Perry Groves) that Vieira may be coming back in a coaching capacity. Rumour fueled by the fact that Patrick has put his gaff for Manchester up for sale.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Rumours - the latest (highlighted by Perry Groves) that Vieira may be coming back in a coaching capacity. Rumour fueled by the fact that Patrick has put his gaff for Manchester up for sale.

Hopefully , we have been missing that fight in midfield since he left . Is he not current head coach of New York City FC now ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Be great if he was coming in straight as manager ....

Yes he's unproven but he's someone who will make a fantastic coach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Surely because he lives in New York now would be a more valid reason for selling his gaff in Manchester than because he's coming near us. Lets face it, Manchester is a kip, and holding onto property there is helping no one's portfolio,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Viera? Lads let's get serious here! I'd rather the job went to someone with a serious track record.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Looks like we'll be 9 points behind Liverpool today. Games in hand mean little with our form.

Hard to summon any energy to support arsenal right now.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

omega man wrote: »

Hard to summon any energy to support arsenal right now.....

I think I'll make it to the sofa :)

Arghus wrote: »
    Viera? Lads let's get serious here! I'd rather the job went to someone with a serious track record.

It's sheer desperation for something new.

• Advertisement

I'm strangely looking forward to tomorrow's game. Games against the other top teams are what it's all about (despite our atrocious record). Hopefully the two week international break will have freshened things up a bit.

If they get the first goal though I think we will crumble, however if we get the first goal I think that could be massive. I actually think the crowd will be right behind the team tomorrow at the start, providing we don't go behind. I know the protests against the manager are happening again outside the ground, but inside I think it will be all about the team. If we get beaten easily though I expect the atmosphere to be toxic. It's going to be a strange day I think.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement