Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Sell him to PSG and be done with it. To recoup some money we'll have to sell him at the end of the season anyway or risk losing him for nothing which would be a disaster. If he's sold to Chelsea or another big English team I'll never forgive the club. Theres more than enough teams in Europe that could afford him. We don't need to sell him to an English club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

sonic85 wrote: »
    Sell him to PSG and be done with it. To recoup some money we'll have to sell him at the end of the season anyway or risk losing him for nothing which would be a disaster. If he's sold to Chelsea or another big English team I'll never forgive the club. Theres more than enough teams in Europe that could afford him. We don't need to sell him to an English club

Not really a disaster. For the sake of 30 million I'd keep him. Ffs it's not like we're gonna replace him for 30 million.

Not really a disaster. For the sake of 30 million I'd keep him. Ffs it's not like we're gonna replace him for 30 million.

Replacing him this summer will cost 30m less than replacing him next summer.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Replacing him this summer will cost 30m less than replacing him next summer.

Get real.

Who are we going to get in the summer that's even remotely as good as Sanchez...without CL football. Can you see us spending 70-80+ million on a replacement?

Fùck no. Keep him, play him, if he sulks bench him. It's not my money.

We need as much money from his sale as we can get if we want to replace him properly. Let's face it Sanchez isn't going to fire us to a league title the way things are now and we're not going to be relegated without him. He could be the difference between winning and losing if all the other pieces were in place but they're not - were a shambles. It's a rebuilding job that's needed not just one or two players.

I'd rather lose him now and get something from it that we can use to rebuild than see him swan off to the club of his choice in a years time with nothing to show for it. Selling him now really doesn't matter

• Advertisement

Get real.

Who are we going to get in the summer that's even remotely as good as Sanchez...without CL football. Can you see us spending 70-80+ million on a replacement?

Fùck no. Keep him, play him, if he sulks bench him. It's not my money.

It is the club's money, though. I would be pretty concerned if they have the same attitude as you. You don't make your most valuable asset sit on the bench to make a point, to the detriment of your team.

It's much more likely we replace Sanchez with someone of similar ability if we sell him this summer. No chance we will pay 60m+ on a player next summer.

This is all assuming he doesn't extend his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Do Chelsea see us as rivals? They're top, we're 6th. Last time we won the league Villa were 6th and I never thought of them as rivals. Funny enough Newcastle were 5th that season.

Not that long ago we beat them 3 0 and we finished miles above them last season. Be a bit daft of them not to see us as rivals. Our spending power is a lot less than theirs though.

It is the club's money, though. I would be pretty concerned if they have the same attitude as you. You don't make your most valuable asset sit on the bench to make a point, to the detriment of your team.

It's much more likely we replace Sanchez with someone of similar ability if we sell him this summer. No chance we will pay 60m+ on a player next summer.

This was forever thrown at me years ago when I wanted wenger gone. "WHO WILL WE GET TO REPLACE WENGER THERE IS NO ONE"

So who are we going to get for 30-40 million to replace him? (Sanchez)

This was forever thrown at me years ago when I wanted wenger gone. "WHO WILL WE GET TO REPLACE WENGER THERE IS NO ONE"

So who are we going to get for 30-40 million to replace him? (Sanchez)

Lacazette or Lukaku for a start. Sure, they're different types of players and might not be as good, but they're better than a sulking Sanchez sitting on the bench and losing value by the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Sanchez moans that's just him, he was at the same when Chile lost there to Argentina.

I'd sell ozil if I'd to pick one, but I'd like to see both kept & hopefully they'd sign before next January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Sanchez moans that's just him, he was at the same when Chile lost there to Argentina.

I'd sell ozil if I'd to pick one, but I'd like to see both kept & hopefully they'd sign before next January.

Sanchez moans because he expects a higher standard from the players around him and he's not getting that. I think he'll leave.
    I think a lot of our former players left for the same reason. The squad is not good enough to win things.

Like who? Who will we get for this 60m?

Lol. Try reading.

Lol. Try reading.

So you would give 60m for players that arent as good when we could actually show some ambition and keep the one world class player we have? God your clever arent you :rolleyes:

Neither Lacazette or Lukaku hold a torch to Sanchez. No way

Here is a better solution. Get shot of our tired and perennially failing manager and some of the duds he brought to the club

Lacazette or Lukaku for a start. Sure, they're different types of players and might not be as good, but they're better than a sulking Sanchez sitting on the bench and losing value by the day.

Lukaku wants CL football that's pretty clear.

Lacazette isn't a replacement as much as it's an insult. Sanchez is miles better.

I quoted this again because it's so stupid.

Oh surely you didnt expose good old clever clogs Basil? Thats impossible :pac:

Lol. Try reading.

Lukaku and Lascazette better than Sanchez.....Lol back at you

Stick to rugby ;)

mHM3DMk.gif

I just wanted to know "WHO" we could replace Sanchez with.

Same thing that was thrown at all of us that wanted Wenger out years ago. "WHO".... while world class manager after world class manager went to other clubs and won things. "WHO!?!?"

It was always the first argument of an idiot.

We could get Ronaldo's left foot or Messi's ears.

• Advertisement

We could get Ronaldo's left foot or Messi's ears.

I'd be buying agureo myself

I'd be buying agureo myself

We would have to convince a rival to sell to us, City who lets face it don't need the £££.

We would have to stump up real money.

Has he any interest in the Europa league?

He knows the club is a mess.

Right now City are a better club.

Sanchez moans because he expects a higher standard from the players around him and he's not getting that. I think he'll leave.
    I think a lot of our former players left for the same reason. The squad is not good enough to win things.

It's money he wants. He's a moaner, winning or losing. Call it high standards or whatever you want but he's a moany little shît.

the squads not that bad at all, the manager & players themselves are underachieving

It's money he wants. He's a moaner, winning or losing. Call it high standards or whatever you want but he's a moany little shît.

the squads not that bad at all, the manager & players themselves are underachieving

If money was his main motivation he wouldn't have came to the land of the dinosaurs down in Islington. City, Chelsea, hell even Liverpool could have offered him more that year. The man wants to win things simple as. He is playing with weak willed spineless wimps who have no interest in applying themselves. Sanchez's signing should have yielded a bright new day for Arsenal but tbh as Troopz said on AFTV, we were an even better side with Bendtner and Denilson as bad as things seemed at the time.

I cant be always the players fault that they all want to leave. These guys want to win trophies but the Arsenal board, players and manager seemingly dont

Do Chelsea see us as rivals? They're top, we're 6th. Last time we won the league Villa were 6th and I never thought of them as rivals. Funny enough Newcastle were 5th that season.

Chelsea feel sorry for us now. Chelsea had 1 solitary title (1955) when we won our last title back in 2004, but since that they have won 4 (05,06,10 and 15) and will more than likely seal number 6 soon.

If money was his main motivation he wouldn't have came to the land of the dinosaurs down in Islington. City, Chelsea, hell even Liverpool could have offered him more that year. The man wants to win things simple as. He is playing with weak willed spineless wimps who have no interest in applying themselves. Sanchez's signing should have yielded a bright new day for Arsenal but tbh as Troopz said on AFTV, we were an even better side with Bendtner and Denilson as bad as things seemed at the time.

I cant be always the players fault that they all want to leave. These guys want to win trophies but the Arsenal board, players and manager seemingly dont

You've contradicted yourself a little bit there now in fairness. If Sanchez was as big a winner as has been claimed in this thread then he wouldn't have joined Arsenal in the first place. When he came it was a decade since we won our last title. Hardly the first club you'd come to if you were looking to win trophies. I don't actually recall him being linked with anyone else that year now I think of it. Though I could be wrong on that.

Anyway if he doesn't sign a new contract and wants to leave then let him go to the highest bidder outside the PL.

You've contradicted yourself a little bit there now in fairness. If Sanchez was as big a winner as has been claimed in this thread then he wouldn't have joined Arsenal in the first place. When he came it was a decade since we won our last title. Hardly the first club you'd come to if you were looking to win trophies.

Anyway if he doesn't sign a new contract and wants to leave then let him go to the highest bidder outside the PL.

Yeah but he came on the premise that we were headed in the direction of a club that had ambition to win major trophies. Ozil had arrived the year previous and was undoubtedly a factor in his decision to join Arsenal. He thought the 'famine was over' so to speak.

Yeah but he came on the premise that we were headed in the direction of a club that had ambition to win major trophies. Ozil had arrived the year previous and was undoubtedly a factor in his decision to join Arsenal. He thought the 'famine was over' so to speak.

Yep I'd imagine you're right but it was still a risky move for someone who wants to win trophies even if the club looked like it was going in a positive direction. Id also say there were probably a few other factors involved too why he ended up at Arsenal.

Yep I'd imagine you're right but it was still a risky move for someone who wants to win trophies even if the club looked like it was going in a positive direction. Id also say there were probably a few other factors involved too why he ended up at Arsenal.

Wenger still amazingly had pull when it came to signing players but id be very amazed if anyone wants to join his circus any longer where he is currently doubling up as ring master and clown

• Advertisement

Lukaku and Lascazette better than Sanchez.....Lol back at you

Stick to rugby ;)

There you go. Failed at the old reading thing again. I didn't say that, and it's pointless explaining it to you.

I will stick to rugby, thanks. It's an infinitely better sport if you're interested in players that show a bit of desire and commitment. Luckily i have the ability to follow multiple sports.

Saying having Lukaku or Lacazette on the pitch is better than having Sanchez sitting on the bench is stupid? Never seen a player score a goal from the bench, but I'm sure you'll point out why I'm wrong.

Everything i say is on the basis of Sanchez definitely leaving. If he doesn't want to leave, and wants more money, then pay it to him. Otherwise, there's the door.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

sonic85 wrote:
    You've contradicted yourself a little bit there now in fairness. If Sanchez was as big a winner as has been claimed in this thread then he wouldn't have joined Arsenal in the first place. When he came it was a decade since we won our last title. Hardly the first club you'd come to if you were looking to win trophies. I don't actually recall him being linked with anyone else that year now I think of it. Though I could be wrong on that.

Liverpool wanted him as a replacement for Suarez. He was offered more money arsenal and the fact ye are in London also attracted him.

He is a great player without back doubt but here's a luxury player that has to be carried by his team. Barca definitely got an upgrade with Suarez who works his ass off, off the ball.

If he doesn't sign a contract just sell him for the highest price and replace him with Douglas Costa. Same with Ozil replace him with verrati. Then add benzema and laporte. That is only investing in two quality players apart from replacements.

Arsenal already have a great team. Ye just need a couple of big players to lead the team through the tougher games.

With those changes even went could go out on a high next season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I will stick to rugby, thanks. It's an infinitely better sport if you're interested in players that show a bit of desire and commitment. Luckily i have the ability to follow multiple sports.

I hear ya Basil, I've been going to a lot more rugby games in the past 3 years. Haven't enjoyed Arsenal in as long I think. Last Saturday at Thomand Park was phenomenal. On a side note, I've managed to secure 5 tickets to the Munster vs Saracens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Mr.H wrote: »

With Wenger in charge nothing will change. Though I liked the sound of the rest of your post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

seems to be a serious protest going on outside the training ground

https://twitter.com/SimonPeach/status/849170928391127040

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

i say keep Sanchez and ozil for another season regardless and build on what we have now to try and win the title next year.

if we can win the title next year, sanchez and ozil can go for free for all we care as them going for free was worth it for us winning the title

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

i say keep Sanchez and ozil for another season regardless and build on what we have now to try and win the title next year.

if we can win the title next year, sanchez and ozil can go for free for all we care as them going for free was worth it for us winning the title

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Mr.H wrote: »
    Liverpool wanted him as a replacement for Suarez. He was offered more money arsenal and the fact ye are in London also attracted him.

He is a great player without back doubt but here's a luxury player that has to be carried by his team. Barca definitely got an upgrade with Suarez who works his ass off, off the ball.

If he doesn't sign a contract just sell him for the highest price and replace him with Douglas Costa. Same with Ozil replace him with verrati. Then add benzema and laporte. That is only investing in two quality players apart from replacements.

Arsenal already have a great team. Ye just need a couple of big players to lead the team through the tougher games.

Youre a few days too late for Aprils Fools.

Maybe Costa you could get but the others, no chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Youre a few days too late for Aprils Fools.

Maybe Costa you could get but the others, no chance.

He's a Liverpool fan.

Verratti doesn't even play the same position as Ozil.

He's a Liverpool fan.

Verratti doesn't even play the same position as Ozil.

Ya, it wasnt meant to be disrespectful to Arsenal FC, I just cant see any of those players leaving their respective clubs at the moment.

Even City would struggle to get those players with their billions, IMO.

Costa is an interesting one though, he wants a bumper rise in his contreact and hes being used sparingly by Bayern because of it, to make an example of him. I think he'd be fantastic in the EPL myself but if theyre against paying Costa a big wedge, I think they might baulk at paying Sanchez a 150-200k wage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I would argue what is the point of keeping Özil when he does not care. Sanchez too, turns it on and off. So if both players are not committed to the club, better to clear out at the end of the season. It's unlikely we will have CL football, which would not sit well with either of these players. Time to rebuild

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I would argue what is the point of keeping Özil when he does not care. Sanchez too, turns it on and off. So if both players are not committed to the club, better to clear out at the end of the season. It's unlikely we will have CL football, which would not sit well with either of these players. Time to rebuild

All our players "turn it on and off".
    That's why we are where we are.
    The club needs a clear-out from the top down.
    There has been so much damage done that I can't see us challenging for years.

Just to add. A lot of people saw this happening for many years now but the club and many fans refused to believe that Wenger would allow it happen.

Serious question for ye guys, would you prefer no European football next season and finish 7th or finish 5th-6th and be in the EL next season?

Its a very tricky one to pick, no EL/UCL football means a clear run at the season but also means less rotation for squad players and everyone then expects you to be either a favourite or one of the favourites for the league which could set you up for a fall.

BTW, I'll also accept answers of finish 4th and play UCL football too. :o

Serious question for ye guys, would you prefer no European football next season and finish 7th or finish 5th-6th and be in the EL next season?

Its a very tricky one to pick, no EL/UCL football means a clear run at the season but also means less rotation for squad players and everyone then expects you to be either a favourite or one of the favourites for the league which could set you up for a fall.

We will not finish in the Top 4 for sure.
    We will probably finish 5th or 6th and get Europa, than we will win a few matches but exit when we meet any quality.
    BUT and it's a BIG BUT if Wenger leaves and we get in a good progressive manager who will take no shyt then we could possibly improve and maybe challenge with a rejuvenated squad including a few good additions and a few shown the door.

We will not finish in the Top 4 for sure.
    We will probably finish 5th or 6th and get Europa, than we will win a few matches but exit when we meet any quality.
    BUT and it's a BIG BUT if Wenger leaves and we get in a good progressive manager who will take no shyt then we could possibly improve and maybe challenge with a rejuvenated squad including a few good additions and a few shown the door.

I think the problem is the English sides usually treat it with disdain and never go at it properly.

Chelsea didnt treat it seriously until about the QF stage when I think we beat Basel but we had an easier run at our win than Liverpool had with facing Utd, Dortmund and Sevilla.

I think Aif Arsenal are in it next year, theyed be automatic favourites, like Utd this year.

The quality ye have is clear to see but what you dont want to do is put all your eggs in the EL basket, miss out on top 4 again and then lose the EL.

Although if that happens, it would probably force Kronke to the market to get in even more quality. Theres still 27 points to play for and everyone in the top 7 are playing each other at least twice sides in the top 7 in at least 2 of the 9 games, Utd have 4 top 7 sides left in 9 games, I think.

I used to love the old European competitions. We had a great run in the Uefa Cup in 99 I think - got to the final but were beaten by Galatasary. That competition was one of my favourite memories watching Arsenal. The current Europa League for some reason just doesn't interest me. Id rather the club finish 7th and give it a miss than play in it.

The way we are now though we need the CL now more than ever. It's the carrot that brings in the best players. Were probably never going to pay huge wages so we need something that not many other clubs can offer. Dunno though. The whole things a mess.

I think the problem is the English sides usually treat it with disdain and never go at it properly.

Chelsea didnt treat it seriously until about the QF stage when I think we beat Basel but we had an easier run at our win than Liverpool had with facing Utd, Dortmund and Sevilla.

I think Aif Arsenal are in it next year, theyed be automatic favourites, like Utd this year.

The quality ye have is clear to see but what you dont want to do is put all your eggs in the EL basket, miss out on top 4 again and then lose the EL.

Although if that happens, it would probably force Kronke to the market to get in even more quality. Theres still 27 points to play for and everyone in the top 7 are playing each other at least twice sides in the top 7 in at least 2 of the 9 games, Utd have 4 top 7 sides left in 9 games, I think.
    For the last number of years we have finished an average of 14 points behind the winners. This year it's much worse, 18 at the minute. We are now even drifting behind a Top 4 position.
    Things have gone downhill but it started years ago and was allowed by the manager and Board.
    What makes you think Kronke or anyone else in power even cares considering it was evident for a lot of years?
    We only meet 2 of the Top four in our remaining games.

For the last number of years we have finished an average of 14 points behind the winners. This year it's much worse, 18 at the minute. We are now even drifting behind a Top 4 position.
    Things have gone downhill but it started years ago and was allowed by the manager and Board.
    What makes you think Kronke or anyone else in power even cares considering it was evident for a lot of years?
    We only meet 2 of the Top four in our remaining games.

I think if Arsenal do miss out on the UCL and the revenue and prestige it brings, something will happen and it might just stir a revival.

Theres only so long you can coast before youre taken over and it looks like this could be the year, now, its up to whoevers in charge and the board to identify the players to bring back the glory days for a charge next year if it does happen.

Chelsea have 3 - City (h), Everton, Utd (a)
    Spurs have 2 - Utd & Arsenal (h)
    Liverpool have 0 - after just beating Everton
    City have 2 - Chelsea (a) & Utd (h)
    Utd have 5 - Everton & chelsea (h), City, Spurs and Arsenal (a)
    Arsenal have 3 - Spurs (a) & Utd, Everton (h)

The run is going to be very close, Utd and Chelsea have the toughest games

I used to love the old European competitions. We had a great run in the Uefa Cup in 99 I think - got to the final but were beaten by Galatasary. That competition was one of my favourite memories watching Arsenal. The current Europa League for some reason just doesn't interest me. Id rather the club finish 7th and give it a miss than play in it.

The way we are now though we need the CL now more than ever. It's the carrot that brings in the best players. Were probably never going to pay huge wages so we need something that not many other clubs can offer. Dunno though. The whole things a mess.
    Winning the Europa now offers you a place in the CL though or am I wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I don't care either way. If we are in the Europa League, I'd treat it like the capital one cup and just play the second string/youths. The Europa League is a distant second to the Champions League, call me arrogant but it is despite the winners now getting a champions league place.

I'm still not writing off a top 4 finish anyway. Despite our horrific form the likes of Man City, Man Utd and Liverpool are hardly flawless either. I'd expect Liverpool to finish top 4 based on their remaining fixtures, but they have been a mixed bag against so called lesser teams this season. Man Utd have a horrific end to the season on paper and City are as inconsistent as anyone. So it's still all to play for. 50/50 shot of getting top 4 imo.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement