Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

GavRedKing wrote: »
    I think if Arsenal do miss out on the UCL and the revenue and prestige it brings, something will happen and it might just stir a revival.

Theres only so long you can coast before youre taken over and it looks like this could be the year, now, its up to whoevers in charge and the board to identify the players to bring back the glory days for a charge next year if it does happen.

Chelsea have 3 - City (h), Everton, Utd (a)
    Spurs have 2 - Utd & Arsenal (h)
    Liverpool have 0 - after just beating Everton
    City have 2 - Chelsea (a) & Utd (h)
    Utd have 5 - Everton & chelsea (h), City, Spurs and Arsenal (a)
    Arsenal have 3 - Spurs (a) & Utd, Everton (h)

The run is going to be very close, Utd and Chelsea have the toughest games
    Chelsea will win the league.
    United have two chances of qualification for the CL.
    Spurs are too far ahead of us and will be second.
    The others have the points in the bag while we have to win our games in hand and also hope they slip up. Can't see it happening this time. We are pretty frail when it matters.

Chelsea will win the league.
    United have two chances of qualification for the CL.
    Spurs are too far ahead of us and will be second.
    The others have the points in the bag while we have to win our games in hand and also hope they slip up. Can't see it happening this time. We are pretty frail when it matters.

If you mean getting 4th spot is when it matters, then we have a proven track record of coming up with the goods. Not this year, though.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if we still got 4th.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I can't see us making top 4 this year. Not only Spurs, United and Everton to play but we also have to go to Stoke and Southampton. We have been useless at both these grounds in recent years so unless there is some drastic and dramatic change in performance we will miss out (as will United imo)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Winning the Europa now offers you a place in the CL though or am I wrong?

You might be right but..... wed have to win the thing. I wouldnt be confident about doing that. We would probably have to play a full strength side in pretty much every round which I don't think would work. Our second string would win sweet FA

sonic85 wrote: »
    You might be right but..... wed have to win the thing. I wouldnt be confident about doing that. We would probably have to play a full strength side in pretty much every round which I don't think would work. Our second string would win sweet FA

the sweet FA cup ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Serious question for ye guys, would you prefer no European football next season and finish 7th or finish 5th-6th and be in the EL next season?

Its a very tricky one to pick, no EL/UCL football means a clear run at the season but also means less rotation for squad players and everyone then expects you to be either a favourite or one of the favourites for the league which could set you up for a fall.

BTW, I'll also accept answers of finish 4th and play UCL football too. :o

I'd take Europa League football over no European football at all. I think finishing outside the European places wouldn't necessarily be an advantage for Arsenal, because they're Arsenal.

What would be on the surface a chance to give the league a good unencumbered run would only lead to more frustration in the long run - when it inevitably comes up short.

2 draws and a win against the other big teams, 6 wins and a loss against the other teams would give us 23 points from the lasat 10 fixtures, leaving us on 74, could very well be enough.

Basil3 wrote: »
    There you go. Failed at the old reading thing again. I didn't say that, and it's pointless explaining it to you.

I will stick to rugby, thanks. It's an infinitely better sport if you're interested in players that show a bit of desire and commitment. Luckily i have the ability to follow multiple sports.

Ok my apologies, so your not saying these guys are better/equal to Sanchez or whatever. So if this is the case tell me where exactly is the logic in selling arguably our best player and our top scorer for 60m and then replacing him with an inferior player for the same amount? :confused:

You haven't exactly fleshed your argument out have you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Will 7th in the league not be getting a EL spot because of who's left in the fa cup & man u winning the other cup?

Kos out tomorrow & maybe longer

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Will 7th in the league not be getting a EL spot because of who's left in the fa cup & man u winning the other cup?

Kos out tomorrow & maybe longer

no Ospina either so Martinez likely to start.

Ok my apologies, so your not saying these guys are better/equal to Sanchez or whatever. So if this is the case tell me where exactly is the logic in selling arguably our best player and our top scorer for 60m and then replacing him with an inferior player for the same amount? :confused:

You haven't exactly fleshed your argument out have you?

I'm not actually sure if you're having a laugh, or you genuinely don't understand why a club would sell a player instead of letting his value drop to nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

greendom wrote: »
    no Ospina either so Martinez likely to start.
    I like him. Will be number one someday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

What? How long is he out?

batistuta9 wrote: »
    What? How long is he out?

He's having a late fitness test for tomorrow, according to physioroom. Cech due back in less than a week as well.

• Advertisement

I'm not actually sure if you're having a laugh, or you genuinely don't understand why a club would sell a player instead of letting his value drop to nothing.

It would make far more sense to keep him. The big issue here is the clubs ambition more than money and even if it was about money Im sure the wage increase for Sanchez would greatly offset paying 60m for a player who may or may not turn out as good.

Like getting rid of Sagna and buying Debuchy for 6 or 7m who has been crocked or out on loan since we bought him. Sagna on the other hand was one of the few consistent leaders we actually had.

It would make far more sense to keep him. The big issue here is the clubs ambition more than money and even if it was about money Im sure the wage increase for Sanchez would greatly offset paying 60m for a player who may or may not turn out as good.

Like getting rid of Sagna and buying Debuchy for 6 or 7m who has been crocked or out on loan since we bought him. Sagna on the other hand was one of the few consistent leaders we actually had.

Yeah, well in an ideal world, we would just pay his wage increase and he would stay. I'm talking about if he's definitely leaving. The way the club is run, everything comes down to money.

If we can replace Sanchez for a net of €20-30m this summer, it's better than replacing him for €50-60m next year.

According to Physio Room our latest recruit Lucas Perez has, for the limited games he's played, been out injured 6 times. Amazing.

According to Physio Room our latest recruit Lucas Perez has, for the limited games he's played, been out injured 6 times. Amazing.

The injuries didn't improve at all despite getting Chad Forsyth in.

And yet Jack played 20+ games since joining Bournemouth. You'd have to wonder really at times about how Arsenal train and prepare. It cant be simply coincidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Has Jack had any time out for injury under Bournemouth ?

• Advertisement

Andip wrote: »
    Has Jack had any time out for injury under Bournemouth ?

He was out recently for a brief period tbf but is still managing to rack up a considerable amount of appearances away from Arsenal. He seemed to just get no luck at all at Arsenal. Djourou similar a few years back. Diaby is still a crock to be fair since leaving but in all honesty he would have been probably better off retiring

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

2 draws and a win against the other big teams, 6 wins and a loss against the other teams would give us 23 points from the lasat 10 fixtures, leaving us on 74, could very well be enough.
    Call me pessimistic if you like.....
    But that would be completely ignoring our current form where that points tally would mean a remarkable turn about in our fortunes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Apparently after Koscielny went off at half time no captain was nominated for the second half which is a breach of premier league rules. No action will be taken though. So basically we played the second half wth no captain, sounds like such an amateur thing to do. The captaincy at Arsenal really isn't taken seriously anymore is it? No wonder we don't appear to have any leaders on the pitch anymore.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Call me pessimistic if you like.....
    But that would be completely ignoring our current form where that points tally would mean a remarkable turn about in our fortunes!

It would. But that's Arsenal all over. Then the cycle about how well set we are for next season starts. :pac:

Apparently after Koscielny went off at half time no captain was nominated for the second half which is a breach of premier league rules. No action will be taken though. So basically we played the second half wth no captain, sounds like such an amateur thing to do. The captaincy at Arsenal really isn't taken seriously anymore is it? No wonder we don't appear to have any leaders on the pitch anymore.

We won that 2nd half 1 0. Perhaps we should play all our matches without a captain!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

The whole captain thing is overrated a good team needs 2/3/4 leaders not an armband

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

Soups123 wrote: »
    The whole captain thing is overrated a good team needs 2/3/4 leaders not an armband

Put Tony Adams in that team and he would soon sort some of them out.

I do get your point though.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Kos is our only leader though. Sanchez tries but gets accused of being stroppy for some bizarre reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭dinorebel

keano_afc wrote: »
    Kos is our only leader though. Sanchez tries but gets accused of being stroppy for some bizarre reason.

Throwing your arms in the air when someone doesn't pass to you isn't being a leader.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

keano_afc wrote: »

Probably down to the language barrier with him not having the vocabulary to say "Arron you're sh*t".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Full expect Arsenal to generously allow West Ham every opportunity to put and end to their losing streak tonight.

Arghus wrote: »
    Full expect Arsenal to generously allow West Ham every opportunity to put and end to their losing streak tonight.

I'm backing Sanchez for first goal. He has a great scoring record against West Ham. He's is only 3/1 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Is the game on the box lads? I've been in a pretty good mood today - maybe too good. I need something to bring me down a bit

sonic85 wrote: »
    Is the game on the box lads? I've been in a pretty good mood today - maybe too good. I need something to bring me down a bit

Only dodgy channels. Chelsea V city on BT.

NBC Premier League Extra best chance of English commentary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Had a box for tonight's game but had to say no because I'm abroad for the week.

Pig sick now.

Had a box for tonight's game but had to say no because I'm abroad for the week.

Pig sick now.
    The way we're playing it might be a blessing in disguise.
    My son is actually in one of those boxes tonight. Paid for by his company. He was always a lucky wee git.

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/849679306083241984

Martinez in goal. Elneny in for Coq, Gabriel for Kos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Per is better than Gabriel.

I'm looking forward to this. As well as dreading it.

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/849679306083241984

Martinez in goal. Elneny in for Coq, Gabriel for Kos.

I would have liked to have seen that team with Ox in for Xhaka just to give more attacking power. We have to go for everything now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Ospina is a busted flush

No excuses. 8 or 9 of our first 11 is starting. 3 wins in a row necessary.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

It's going to be a big test for Mustafi, Gabriel and Martinez up against the battering ram Andy Carroll. Not an ideal player for an inexperienced keeper to be playing against. Although Martinez impressed me in his previous premier league appearances a couple of seasons ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Only dodgy channels. Chelsea V city on BT.

NBC Premier League Extra best chance of English commentary.

What if you don't care about commentary? Is it on anything else?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    What if you don't care about commentary? Is it on anything else?

Yeah, a bunch of channels

http://liveonsat.com/los.soc_br_eng_ALL.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Not entering the stadium until the 13th minute because it's 13 years since arsenal won the league... that's kind of pathetic.

• Advertisement

Couple of lovely balls from Xhaka.

Stupid from Bellerin but Arsenal should have had a pen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Is there a more frustrating player than Theo?! Should probably have been a penalty mind you. Two woeful attempts at a cross and a pass back after Bellerin bust his bollox to keep the ball in and get a cross to Walcott's feet.

Welbeck should have buried that

Is there a more frustrating player than Theo?! Should probably have been a penalty mind you. Two woeful attempts at a cross and a pass back after Bellerin bust his bollox to keep the ball in and get a cross to Walcott's feet.

I think Walcott has been our best player tonight so far.

The frustration factor with him doesn't come close to Welbeck and what he just did (or failed to do).

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement