Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

gitzy16v wrote: »
    I think Elneny just shades it over Xhaka to partner Ox.
    The Ox gives a bit of drive in the middle,I remember him having a great game in the CL against AC Milan?...
    Roll on Wednesday..

I think Wenger won't win either way. A lot of people here will say that he doesn't adjust tactics for a match, so if he went defensive and paired Xhaka AND Elneny at the expense of Ox, people would say he wasn't adventurous enough.

I think we should go over with the belief that we can get away goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

Basil3 wrote: »
    Some big calls to be made, with Xhaka and Elneny available, and the Ox playing well.

I'd leave Ox there.

I think Wenger won't win either way. A lot of people here will say that he doesn't adjust tactics for a match, so if he went defensive and paired Xhaka AND Elneny at the expense of Ox, people would say he wasn't adventurous enough.

I think we should go over with the belief that we can get away goals.

Regardless of what happens Wenger will be wrong.

Remember the howls of derision at Ospina starting UCL games...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Is Ospina a shoe in to start on Wednesday? I know he started the group stages, but this is the business end of the competition now and it's not like the Efl Cup or FA cup. I've no issue with Ospina starting as he's a good keeper, but why wouldn't Wenger start his best keeper in a game of this magnitude?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Is Ospina a shoe in to start on Wednesday? I know he started the group stages, but this is the business end of the competition now and it's not like the Efl Cup or FA cup. I've no issue with Ospina starting as he's a good keeper, but why wouldn't Wenger start his best keeper in a game of this magnitude?
    It will be Ospina on Weds. Cech has really dropped in form recently and many thought Cech would be dropped for the game yesterday. It would be a huge kick in the teeth for Ospina were he not to start.

• Advertisement

I think Cech is only down to play the Champion's League final.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I can understand playing your second choice keeper in League cup and FA cup games. It's not just a case of giving the other guy a run out, but also ensuring you have a back up who's actually played some games and is ready to step in when needed.
    That said, this idea of playing the second string in Champions League games is an absolute joke. I totally agree with what people are saying about Cech's form going downhill of late but he remains our number 1 keeper and should definitely be starting what is now the biggest game of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,111 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Going into a Champions league Rd2 game and not playing your best Xi is stupidity. Cech should start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

I'd leave Ospina in goal,I really don't think dropping him for Cech is gonna make our chances of beating Bayern any better.
    He's played well enough this season and Cech is worrying me with his composure from backpasses this season,yes I know he gets a bad pass from defender too but to me he's looking a little shaky.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Going into a Champions league Rd2 game and not playing your best Xi is stupidity. Cech should start.

I don't think Cech is better than Ospina, his reaction time is slower for one

• Advertisement

When I look at the goals at the Arsenal end in the Allianz next Wednesday I want to see Ospina there

This is the biggest trip for me since Cardiff 09

Poor Leicester

Apologies for being the 4th post in a row... rocking thread... but this article is excellent on yesterday's goal

http://7amkickoff.com/index.php/2017/02/12/after-alexis-handball-controversy-pgmol-reveals-hidden-agenda-and-all-football-fans-should-be-outraged/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

so lucky against Hull.

Unbelievable

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

I'm trying to convince myself to watch the match on Wednesday but expecting nothing other than the usual no-show. Someone convince me it'll be different, using examples from this room.

keano_afc wrote: »
    I'm trying to convince myself to watch the match on Wednesday but expecting nothing other than the usual no-show. Someone convince me it'll be different, using examples from this room.

if wenger was to get the sack before wednesday then yea it will be different but so long as his in our club, same old ...

Can someone explain to me why we aren't playing our best keeper in a Champions league last 16 tie?

Just to note "because that's how we do it" isn't a valid reason.

It really is a massive game for Wenger and his team. It's about time that they show up in a game like this and not leave a mountain hill to climb in the second leg. Even a defeat by the odd goal, so long as we score that is, will leave it all to play for at the Emirates.

If we get hammered again and the tie is over after the first leg, than it really shows Wenger up.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,402 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

Can someone explain to me why we aren't playing our best keeper in a Champions league last 16 tie?

Normally I'd agree, but I'm no longer sure who our best keeper is.

Earlier in the season this would have been a valid question. The answer would have been to keep the second best in touch with first team football by giving him exposure to the game. Now there is a real question mark over who is our number 1. Can we honestly say that on current form, Cech is the better keeper.

In fact if Ospina plays well on Wednesday, I would consider dropping Cech from the first team for a while.

• Advertisement

if wenger was to get the sack before wednesday then yea it will be different but so long as his in our club, same old ...

How would Wednesday be different if Wenger were to be sacked before then?

Unless you're expecting Jesus as his replacement, I'm not sure how you can back that up ?

greendom wrote: »
    Earlier in the season this would have been a valid question. The answer would have been to keep the second best in touch with first team football by giving him exposure to the game. Now there is a real question mark over who is our number 1. Can we honestly say that on current form, Cech is the better keeper.

In fact if Ospina plays well on Wednesday, I would consider dropping Cech from the first team for a while.
    I think it's still a valid question, but if, like you claim, Ospina is the better keeper (not the case in my opinion) then why are we playing our second best keeper in Premier league games.

I think it's still a valid question, but if, like you claim, Ospina is the better keeper (not the case in my opinion) then why are we playing our second best keeper in Premier league games.

I can see the benefit in keeping both keepers with 1st team experience and the split between league and champions league is probably because Cech has years of experience in the EPL, something that Ospina is lacking.

From what I've seen Cech is becoming more and more of a liability in goal and I wouldn't be at all surprised if Ospina takes over as no 1, if Cech is not able to prove again that he is worthy of being our number 1.

I'm going to watch it, I'll probably even post here from Munich lolz

Cech's been shocking so far this season lets be honest

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

mansize wrote: »
    I'm going to watch it, I'll probably even post here from Munich lolz

probably.....

ArsenalFanTV interviewing Gary Neville today

ArsenalFanTV interviewing Gary Neville today

I'd rather eat glass

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

mansize wrote: »
    I'd rather eat glass

Ah the Neviller is not so bad these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

really optimistic this time, underdogs let's go!

ronjo wrote: »
    Ah the Neviller is not so bad these days.

He's still not forgiven for his scummy tackle on Reyes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

What's the predictions for Wed?

They're in their usual form in the Bundesliga - only 1 defeat all season. They did lose home and away to Athletico Madrid in the Champions League group stage so that does give some hope I suppose.

They're in their usual form in the Bundesliga - only 1 defeat all season. They did lose home and away to Athletico Madrid in the Champions League group stage so that does give some hope I suppose.

Yeah that's why I don't understand people saying that Bayern aren't the force they were. Only one defeat in a league as good as the Bundesliga says otherwise. I wouldn't read too much into the group stage results. They will be a different beast when we play them on Wednesday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Pheonix10 wrote: »
    What's the predictions for Wed?

A 3-0 loss.

I've seen absolutely fücking nothing from this shower of bottlers since last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

In a two leg knock-out round you need to have your tactics spot on. Especially for the first leg which is away.
    A lot depends on the personnel available whether you go out to score in the away leg or to defend and go for the nil nil.
    One thing for sure is that BM will not sit back.

This will be a great opportunity to see Wenger's tactical nous in operation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭GeorgeBailey

A 3-0 loss.

I've seen absolutely fücking nothing from this shower of bottlers since last season.

A 3-0 loss to be followed by a spirited 2-0 victory in the return leg.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

An away goal is almost a necessity. A 0-0 result would be as bad as a defeat and possibly worst than a defeat were we score (provided it's not something like 4-1 etc).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,505 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

In a two leg knock-out round you need to have your tactics spot on. Especially for the first leg which is away.
    A lot depends on the personnel available whether you go out to score in the away leg or to defend and go for the nil nil.
    One thing for sure is that BM will not sit back.

This will be a great opportunity to see Wenger's tactical nous in operation.

I doubt our tactics will be spot on. We seem to treat every game the same...We could go there and lose 3 or 4 nil and nobody would be surprised. Wenger has consistently made an absolute bollocks of these games against top teams for the last 10 years.... I'd love to see the stats on it.

Tactical nous...

Tactical ineptitude.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Bayern will win handy enough. 2-0, possibly 3-0. I just can't envision Arsenal getting anything from this game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Can we do the usual lose 3-1 then win 2-0 thing again?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,404 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

A 3-0 loss to be followed by a spirited 2-0 victory in the return leg.

Nope. We've had enough of that kind of s***.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I'll certainly take that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Happily I don't mind going through on away goals

Athletico Madrid are the dogs of war. we are the kittens off a kittensoft commerical. Id like to be proven wrong but i expect same capitulation.

How would Wednesday be different if Wenger were to be sacked before then?

Unless you're expecting Jesus as his replacement, I'm not sure how you can back that up ?

Good striker but im not sure he is ready or wants to be a manager just yet. Not sure he'd leave City for Arsenal either :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I think we'll go through on away goals.

Athletico Madrid are the dogs of war. we are the kittens off a kittensoft commerical. Id like to be proven wrong but i expect same capitulation.

not so bad if Bayern are the toilet roll!

Good striker but im not sure he is ready or wants to be a manager just yet. Not sure he'd leave City for Arsenal either :pac:

He has a broken metatarsal. Arsenal DNA.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

He has a broken metatarsal. Arsenal DNA.

He can take Wilshere's place :D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement