Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Atkinson has denied us two stonewall penalties. That last one on Monreal is bizarre how he didn't give it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

omega man wrote: »
    Oh fcuk off Spurs

They're gone.

City looking a little vulnerable tho

greendom wrote: »
    They're gone.

City looking a little vulnerable tho

Spurs tend to Spurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Decent win, pure domination in that second half from us. Great build up play for the second goal and a quality finish from Giroud for the third. The referee wasn't great and that's putting it mildly. Should have had a couple more penalties maybe, especially that last tackle from Byram.
    Anyway great to have another three points, it's been a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

Was anyone watching the game with Martin Tyler commentating tonight? If so can you tell me who the Scottish Co comm was?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Referees have been screwing Arsenal for years.
    Surprised the club haven't made some kind of complaint.
    No referee seems to give us our due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Was anyone watching the game with Martin Tyler commentating tonight? If so can you tell me who the Scottish Co comm was?
    I think it was Davie Provan.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Pierce_1991

I think it was Davie Provan.

Thank you. Solved an argument between me and the dad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,498 ✭✭✭Sono

Big goal for arsenal that Bournemouth equaliser, still think the Gooners will make top 4 and hang onto Sanchez/Ozil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

6 points behind Loliverpool with 2 games in hand

#twomoreyears

• Advertisement

newbie2 wrote: »

#twomoreyears

Glimmer of hope for top 4. Still think we'll miss out but not cut and dried.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Did Spuds win? FFS!

The only trophy I'm interested in this year is St. Totteringhams day trophy. Last year, it made me smile.

Yes, I'm already aware I'm a f****** loser. You need not remind me!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

emmetlego wrote: »
    Did Spuds win? FFS!

The only trophy I'm interested in this year is St. Totteringhams day trophy. Last year, it made me smile.

Yes, I'm already aware I'm a f****** loser. You need not remind me!

I think you will have to give up the idea of St.Totteringhams day this season ha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

Great result tonight can see us getting 3rd and winning FA cup wouldn't be too bad at the end of the day

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

I think you will have to give up the idea of St.Totteringhams day this season ha.

Yep I slagged a mate whose a Spurs fan early in the season about St.Totteringhams day, that's going to bite me in the ass now! As long as they don't win the feckin league now!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

liam7831 wrote: »
    Great result tonight can see us getting 3rd and winning FA cup wouldn't be too bad at the end of the day

At the end of what day?

The "no ambition day"
    Or the
    "let's pretend we're spurs day"

Come on now.

newbie2 wrote: »

#twomoreyears

No thanks. Im sick of title challenges collapsing year in - year out due to mental weakness. Wenger is finished and so is his duds.

No point qualifying for Europe, we'll only sh1t the course like we normally do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

At the end of what day?

The "no ambition day"
    Or the
    "let's pretend we're spurs day"

Come on now.

The fickleness of some of our fans is pathetic. An isolated win against a piss poor West Ham team and apparently this justifies Wengers position if we reach our annual glass ceiling. Do you know what? Some of our fans are getting the manager and club they deserve but the rest have to suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Absolutely tipp there is a reason that West Ham are three places off the relegation zone. We should be beating teams down that side of the table like that. That result changes nothing Wenger needs to walk, I'd prefer him to go immediately but will accept him going at the end of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Arghus wrote: »
    Full expect Arsenal to generously allow West Ham every opportunity to put and end to their losing streak tonight.

Typical barstooler!

For people who want to escape the wider central debate here is the Rocky and Wrighty documentary that was aired the other night

And this is a 70/71 review

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

Awful first half but once we scored the first goal, West Ham collapsed. We didn't have to try to hard to win it did we, Xhaka and Elneny played well and Ozil turned up (pity he doesn't do it when we really need him too). At least the win puts us in somewhat of a good mood .

But the real test is Monday at Palace, when Big Sam and his lads will bully and kick us off the field while playing some good stuff. Not looking forward to that

Still he can get top 4 and win the FA Cup but he still needs to go if we want to win Titles again.

The fickleness of some of our fans is pathetic.

You said it.

I can think of only one other team whose fans here regularly wanted them to lose and do badly to ensure a change, though that was one of ownership, and that was NUFC.

It can't get more fickle than wanting to see a team you support lose, in the hope that this may prompt a change, and the hope that that change will be for the better, and in the hope that change for the better will see them overtake more successful clubs flinging far bigger sums at their own hopes...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Didnt see anything last night to suggest this team has turned a corner, West Ham are a poor side & rolled over after the first goal went in.
    Still think 5th is as good as it'll get & with a tricky enough run in to come can see us finishing 6th.

In terms of the cup, even if we managed to beat City (not impossible by any stretch, they're equally likely to give up a weak performance) I simply cant see us stopping a Chelsea side chasing a double or a Spurs side that are simply on form & being honest a little bit better than us at the moment (I feel sick writing that)

Wenger still has to go IMO, no amount of wins between now & the end of May will change that.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

I'm actually kind of looking forward to the Europa League next year. It might be actually nice to have a run in Europe where we have a chance of success. Be a great bedding in process for our new manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Quazzie wrote: »
    I'm actually kind of looking forward to the Europa League next year. It might be actually nice to have a run in Europe where we have a chance of success. Be a great bedding in process for our new manager.

If we qualify for Europa league I fully expect Bayern to finish 3rd in their group just to troll us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

farna_boy wrote: »
    If we qualify for Europa league I fully expect Bayern to finish 3rd in their group just to troll us

Hahaha

:D

farna_boy wrote: »

There really should be an award for posts that make people laugh out loud! Fantastic Farna boy! Laughing and this thread are all too rare...

• Advertisement

You said it.

I can think of only one other team whose fans here regularly wanted them to lose and do badly to ensure a change, though that was one of ownership, and that was NUFC.

It can't get more fickle than wanting to see a team you support lose, in the hope that this may prompt a change, and the hope that that change will be for the better, and in the hope that change for the better will see them overtake more successful clubs flinging far bigger sums at their own hopes...

No one said anything about wanting to lose or spend ridiculous money. We want to have a manager that at the very least can put a team out on the field with a bit of fight and leadership in them. Is that too much to ask?

All well and good praising last night and patting ourselves on the back but the target that we should have been aiming for is long gone. What will fourth do at this stage? Only continue this cycle of mediocrity.

What people are forgetting also is that we have spent money on players. Since 2013, we've bought Ozil, Sanchez, Cech, Xhaka, and Mustafi who cost 140-150m for all 5 and that's before salaries are considered and yet it's the same result as if we had Bendtner, Denilson, Eboue, Chamakh, Squillachi, Gervinho.

No one said anything about wanting to lose or spend ridiculous money. We want to have a manager that at the very least can put a team out on the field with a bit of fight and leadership in them. Is that too much to ask?

All well and good praising last night and patting ourselves on the back but the target that we should have been aiming for is long gone. What will fourth do at this stage? Only continue this cycle of mediocrity.

ce What people are forgetting also is that we have spent money on players. Sin2013, we've bought Ozil, Sanchez, Cech, Xhaka, and Mustafi who cost 140-150m for all 5 and that's before salaries are considered and yet it's the same result as if we had Bendtner, Denilson, Eboue, Chamakh, Squillachi, Gervinho.

It's no good buying the best parts for your car if the mechanic can't fit them properly.

It's no good buying the best parts for your car if the mechanic can't fit them properly.

Great analogy and it is clear in this case the mechanic can't fit the parts any longer

Not to the board it's not, 2 more years.

Not to the board it's not, 2 more years.

I agree he'll get 2 more years BUT he is past it and is ruining his legacy and the club. It will be another step backwards.

I agree he'll get 2 more years BUT he is past it and is ruining his legacy and the club. It will be another step backwards.

The only way the club will move forward is if Kronke is somehow ousted, David Dein understood that 10 years ago hence his attempted coup with Usmanov.

• Advertisement

The only way the club will move forward is if Kronke is somehow ousted, David Dein understood that 10 years ago hence his attempted coup with Usmanov.

Yes I'd like to get rid of Kroenke too but will this make Arsene suddenly decide that the way he sets us up defensively is suicidal? Are we suddenly going to stop jumping out of tackles or downing tools?

And there is no chance of Kroenke going either when there is millions to be made yearly in profits with little input

Yes I'd like to get rid of Kroenke too but will this make Arsene suddenly decide that the way he sets us up defensively is suicidal?

No, do you trust Stan Kronke & Sir Chips to pick a manager who knows how to set up defensively? Do you think they've ever given it any real thought?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Yes indeed. The club would rather make money with mediocrity than take a risk strategy with a new manager and new ideas. It's Arsenal, slippers and a cozy settee.

No, do you trust Stan Kronke & Sir Chips to pick a manager who knows how to set up defensively? Do you think they've ever given it any real thought?

No i don't but if they go and say Arsene stays you'll still see the same naiveties.

Also, If for example you can picture a scenario where he took the Madrid job I'd honestly think that Wenger has lost it so much that the white hankies would be out after a hammering in his first el classico. He just never learns and won't get the same amount of chances to fúck it up elsewhere

No i don't but if they go and say Arsene stays you'll still see the same naivety. If for example he took the Madrid job I'd honestly think that Wenger has lost it so much that the white hankies would be out after a hammering in his first el classico. He never learns

Quite possibly.

There should be just as much Kronke out signs as Wenger out at this stage, when you have the amount of competition at the top of the league and 4-5 clubs who are fixated on throwing every resource they have at being successful and another club whose owner's priorities lie in America then removing Wenger and letting these guys pick the next manager is going to solve nothing.

• Advertisement

Quite possibly.

There should be just as much Kronke out signs as Wenger out at this stage, when you have the amount of competition at the top of the league and 4-5 clubs who are fixated on throwing every resource they have at being successful and another club whose owner's priorities lie in America then removing Wenger and letting these guys pick the next manager is going to solve nothing.

Hard to disagree with that and what would possibly happen if Arsene goes is that the board will only get another nodding dog in.

So ideally I would like both to go

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Am I the only one who thinks he might actually go at the end of the season? Cue the yeses. I'm not sure he'll stay at all.

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks he might actually go at the end of the season? Cue the yeses. I'm not sure he'll stay at all.

No. He's clinging on for dear life.
    Another few wins and it will be like this --

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1HcmGYexvQ

Gizmo55 wrote: »

Soundings from within the club sheet to show even at board level it's fractured. This is all going to end badly, unless there is a "catalyst for change" as Ivan Gazidas said recently!

I think the board do want change to prepare the club post Wenger and get the structures in place to stop what happened to Man Utd post Fergie. I get the impression that Wenger doesn't think much of these changes while he's still in charge (appointing a Director of Football and freshening up the coaching staff) so I predict a pretty messy Summer ahead. The club will probably suffer as a result

I think the board do want change to prepare the club post Wenger and get the structures in place to stop what happened to Man Utd post Fergie. I get the impression that Wenger doesn't think much of these changes while he's still in charge (appointing a Director of Football and freshening up the coaching staff) so I predict a pretty messy Summer ahead. The club will probably suffer as a result
    My worry is, that based on our transfer dealings, we'll get rid of Wenger on June 1st but not sign a manager till 30th August.

Quazzie wrote: »
    My worry is, that based on our transfer dealings, we'll get rid of Wenger on June 1st but not sign a manager till 30th August.

I wouldn't worry about that - he's staying for 1 more year at least !:D

I wouldn't worry about that - he's staying for 1 more year at least !:D

There was a rumour about 5 weeks ago that he was staying one more year. It came from someone in the club.
    I see more stuff about Sanchez and Ozil willing to stay one more year two.
    Wonder if they're connected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

There was a rumour about 5 weeks ago that he was staying one more year. It came from someone in the club.
    I see more stuff about Sanchez and Ozil willing to stay one more year two.
    Wonder if they're connected.

If that is the case, I might be hopeful of a few good signings this summer as I can't see them staying unless Wenger has told them who he wants to sign or given some indication that he has signings lined up.

That's a very big if though and that even depends if those rumour is true.

Safe to say that all possible outcomes are covered by the 'rumours'

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement