Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

21 points behind Chelsea is a fairly sobering thought

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Wenger: "I want fans to support the team. We played with a desire to win the game. It would be inconvenient for me to discuss my future."

I'd have thought that clarifying his future might at least take some of the pressure off, and maybe negate some of how poisonous the atmosphere at the club has become?

Make no mistake, Wenger isn't making this decision yet because he believes Arsenal is his, and he's entitled to decide his own future. Utterly selfish and egotistical. It still amazes me that it's allowed to go on at one of the biggest clubs around. Baffling.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

The manager and our spineless players disgust me. Didn't see the match but caught the goals. It's going to be a long end to the season. I reckon we will easily lose 4 of the last 8 matches. We are a mess and are probably going to be worse next season. There's no point even ranting anymore, getting hammered regularly is wearing me out. We literally could lose to anyone the way the team is at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

SlickRic wrote: »
    Wenger: "I want fans to support the team. We played with a desire to win the game. It would be inconvenient for me to discuss my future."

I'd have thought that clarifying his future might at least take some of the pressure off, and maybe negate some of how poisonous the atmosphere at the club has become?

Make no mistake, Wenger isn't making this decision yet because he beloved Arsenal is his, and he's entitled to decide his own future. Utterly selfish and egotistical. It still amazes me that it's allowed to go on at one of the biggest flu s around. Baffling.

He has said that it won't be him announcing his future

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

SlickRic wrote: »

Make no mistake, Wenger isn't making this decision yet because he beloved Arsenal is his, and he's entitled to decide his own future. Utterly selfish and egotistical. It still amazes me that it's allowed to go on at one of the biggest clubs around. Baffling.

I'm hoping he doesn't want to announce anything because the club want to have news on his replacement before they announce it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

The manager and our spineless players disgust me. Didn't see the match but caught the goals. It's going to be a long end to the season. I reckon we will easily lose 4 of the last 8 matches. We are a mess and are probably going to be worse next season. There's no point even ranting anymore, getting hammered regularly is wearing me out. We literally could lose to anyone the way the team is at the moment.

Count yourself lucky you didnt see the cowards masquerading as a football team tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Hard to get too worked up any more.

Arsene is a busted flush, but I feel for him a bit, taking all the fan's ire, while those further up than him are nowhere to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The Times sports headline summed this up very well -

Eagles 3, Butterflies 0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Apparently Bellerin went to applaud the fans and was booed. All very distasteful.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »
    Apparently Bellerin went to applaud the fans and was booed. All very distasteful.

Is it surprising though?
    They were a disgrace,the fans were right.
    They were not fit to wear the shirt.
    Wenger is the cause of all the animosity around the club,he needs to say if hes staying or going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I think its very rare for away fans to boo their team when they lose but things are coming to a head at The Arsenal and the players will have to shoulder some of the fans frustration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

gitzy16v wrote: »
    Is it surprising though?
    They were a disgrace,the fans were right.
    They were not fit to wear the shirt.
    Wenger is the cause of all the animosity around the club,he needs to say hes staying or going.

FYP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭Looper007

greendom wrote: »

Not surprising, the players have let down the club and the fans down massively over the last few weeks and years to boot. You can tell some are already looking to find a way out of this sinking ship.

It's sad right now, cause losing tonight didn't shock me either did the performance. It's a sign of manager's last days, he can't sign a contract now. AW so badly wants too but the board need to put him out of his misery. Not one shot at goal in the 2nd half with a team fighting relegation that's shocking really.

FYP.

Thanks tayto,think i was affected by the negative replies of my rant earlier:pac::pac::pac:

Arghus wrote: »
    Hard to get too worked up any more.

Arsene is a busted flush, but I feel for him a bit, taking all the fan's ire, while those further up than him are nowhere to be seen.

As i've been saying for several years if Wenger loved the club as much as he's meant to and wasn't deluded he would have come out against the board a long time ago. 10 years ago he had more money than he could ever need. Fact is he's been happy to take his cut over the years while, if anything, fanning the blame towards the board. The performances since the invincibles have been bang-average in the league when you look at the wage bill. Europe has been getting worse. Ah, but consistency! Great, consistency in the league while it's been obvous we've been getting further from the top table of European football. Sure sometimes we finish ahead of Chelsea like last season. What do they do? They address the issue. They say that last year was a weak league and a chance gone begging and this year Unites would be adjusting, Liverpool atill aren't there and City were 50/50. So they went for it.
    What did we do? €20 million on a forward who must have **** on Wenger's car. Rob ****ing Holding. €35million on the brainless no-mark Xhaka. Whatever on Mustafi who seems to be afraid of the ball.
    All put into a squad with the likes of Ramsey flouncing about. Forget "bottle", forget " of he jumped out of a tackle one time". Watch Ramsey tonight. Just watch him. There was one fantastic moment when he went to play a ball into the box and as his foot went towards the ball he decided he actually couldn't be bothered and the scuffed pass went to a Palace player.
    **** the lot of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Looking back, admittedly easy now I know, he should have walked away after the villa FA cup win or even the Hull one. The emotion that day after hull was memorable.

Sadly it's all tarnished now and there's no going back. He gambled thinking he could achieve even greater things with this squad but he's lost that bet and not just lost but humiliated himself in the process. He's now at near rock bottom and it's not nice watching it all unfold. Even his players have abandoned him.

His last saving grace is again the FA cup, his panic room of protection these last few years. However even he won't manage to will himself or importantly the players to that one last swan song. They think it's all over, it is now I'm afraid to say Arsene.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is a boycott the next step? Or are there too many tourists these days to make that work? When the sh'it was at it's most fanned under Roy Bodgson the Liverpool owners only moved when Anfield was about 75% full for a game against Bolton.

True for DT though, we were actually performing better when we had Denilson and Bendtner then we are currently with Ozil and Sanchez

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

Tonight is probably the lowest I've felt as an Arsenal fan. After the 3rd went in I had to go out for a walk around to clear the head a bit. Is the club at rock bottom - or can we sink lower? I dont know but between the board Kroenke and Wenger I'm rapidly losing interest in this sh!tshow

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I was not expecting us to win. IMO I think the team have been doing a Leicester for some time. A truly terrible display and an insult to the fans everywhere and the players, no wasters, taking a salary for it. The pretence is finally over, now it's just for Wenger to go, along with most of the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Is a boycott the next step? When the sh'it was at it's most fanned under Roy Bodgson the Liverpool owners only moved when Anfield was about 75% full for a game against Bolton.

B is beside H on the keyboard but I'd like to think Bodgson was deliberate rather than fat fingers. It has a nice ring to it.

Is a boycott the next step? Or are there too many tourists these days to make that work? When the sh'it was at it's most fanned under Roy Bodgson the Liverpool owners only moved when Anfield was about 75% full for a game against Bolton.

Fair few empty seats at the Man City game but it's all season tickets,already paid for so the dirty snake Kronke doesn't give a ****..

Fair few empty seats at the Man City game but it's all season tickets,already paid for so the dirty snake Kronke doesn't give a ****..

They are up for renewal soon though. Will be interesting to see if there is demand for them this time around.

They are up for renewal soon though. Will be interesting to see if there is demand for them this time around.

Lol we all know what happens when renewal time comes around....lots of promises but all hot air in the end....and round and round we go in the same bull**** merry go-round for another season,where we watch our club get further and further away from sitting at the top table of English and European football.....there's really nothing to fear now if we change things,let's start with the manager and in a year or two the board and kronke will be shown up for the clowns they are....sad to say it but we are looking fcuked ...even if AW goes it's not gonna change until the ownership changes....Stan Kroenke is a cancer in our club.

• Advertisement

Lol we all know what happens when renewal time comes around....lots of promises but all hot air in the end....and round and round we go in the same bull**** merry go-round for another season,where we watch our club get further and further away from sitting at the top table of English and European football.....there's really nothing to fear now if we change things,let's start with the manager and in a year or two the board and kronke will be shown up for the clowns they are....sad to say it but we are looking fcuked ...even if AW goes it's not gonna change until the ownership changes....Stan Kroenke is a cancer in our club.

Bully was adamant on Arsenal fan tv tonight that Kroenke and his son were the first that had to go. Still though, the manager and team need to take responsibility here too. They dont deserve a cop out

Bully was adamant on Arsenal fan tv tonight that Kroenke and his son were the first that had to go. Still though, the manager and team need to take responsibility here too. They dont deserve a cop out

No,no cop out at all for management,no way,not how,not ever...but kroenke accepts this....what other owners of top premier clubs would stand for this....none imo...the team is ok,we have a good team good squad but they not performing to their best..that's management's fault...but the owners are happy enough,so if their happy with this crap God knows what we will be left with if Wenger leaves...my opinion is it won't get better until the board and manger are changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

If i could pick one player that proved how much our manager lost the plot it is this pretender. 11 years at the club and he has only passed the 100 mark in February.

The day he jumped out of that tackle vs Sunderland finished me with him. And all his b0llocks talk after having a few measly good games earlier on in the season of how he is stronger and fitter then he ever was :rolleyes: Richard Keys is rarely if ever right but he was spot on back in 2010 when he called him a stupid little boy in pink boots. A symbol of the latter half of Wengers reign.

And if anyone wonders why fans are so livid with the nutty professor they only need read this paragraph from the programme the other night

Hand on heart Theo Walcott is the most over rated top flight footballer in the last 100 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

I think its very rare for away fans to boo their team when they lose but things are coming to a head at The Arsenal and the players will have to shoulder some of the fans frustration.

Can you blame the fans really? There watching a bunch of absolute cowards wearing the jersey. Gutless we are. Imagine paying 100 sterling to watch these imposters. I would see more heart down the Pheonix Park of a Sunday morning.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Hand on heart Theo Walcott is the most over rated top flight footballer in the last 100 years.

He is the official flag bearer of this new and mediocre chapter that Wenger created from 2006 on but in fairness, Wenger built a team equally as mediocre around him bit by bit.

Excellent pace but the first touch of a man wearing clogs. And as for the fight, bravery, determination, he's like a little boy who has won a competition to play for a big club. He has no business being at Arsenal except he is now on 130k a week bizarrely

• Advertisement

Careful lads dont abuse the players or management....warnings are being handed out

I wouldn't go that far in fairness! Don't most people know at this stage that Walcott is a severely limited footballer?

**** this bull**** club and whos managing and running it,im done ill be back when something changes...my grandfather was a gunner(an actual gunner) and hed turn in his his grave seeing this cowardly bunch of scumbags that has infiltrated our club...im heading off to the horseracing,ill be back when these fcuking american and french clowns fcuk off and stop ruining what was once a proud and traditional club.
    Reduced to a laughing stock,thats all we are a fcuking laughing stock....ill never be ashamed to follow this great club,ill follow us no matter how far we fall but what i wont accept is the lack of effort shown by both management and players.
    Arsenal till I die.
    If I stay here any longer ill be banned for my thoughts on the current situation but im not sure i care,I used boards as a place to put my thoughts and feelings on our club in words...some dont agree with me,thats fine,somebody said they werent angry anymore,just numb, thats not me im pissed off,ive never seen a bunch of players not give a **** as much as this crowd do and it fcuking annoys me.......

And some prick said i deserved a medal....WHERES MY MEDAL YOU CNUT?

good luck all ill be back when something changes...adios amigos

latest?cb=20131217131424

Phew! Feast your eyes on it - because it won't be there in the morning!

That was almost up there with Pilsbury Doughboy's departure from the LFC thread 2 years ago, 8/10.

Hang in there glitzy, none of the players in the modern game are worth an aneurysm. I'm pretty sure every member of that Arsenal team is sleeping soundly right now.

Too many posts for me to catch up on. Only can mean one thing, Arsenal lost a football match :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

I see the usual Arsene apologists have been out and about this morning with pathetic attempts at humour.

And they call themselves Arsenal supporters, what a disgrace they are.

They spent the last few seasons defending Wenger while Arsenal spiraled into a laughing stock. And now when passionate fans who love the club are voicing their outrage at the disgrace we have become, they make lame attempts at humour and jibs and snide remarks.

some posters have no shame, no shame about being wrong about Wenger and no shame in having digs at passionate supporters.

Not to worry Wenger is on his way out, just a pity he cant take some of his apologists with him, but not to worry, the club is on its way back to the true fans. Wengers true colours are being revealed.

I see the usual Arsene apologists have been out and about this morning with pathetic attempts at humour.

And they call themselves Arsenal supporters, what a disgrace they are.

They spent the last few seasons defending Wenger while Arsenal spiraled into a laughing stock. And now when passionate fans who love the club are voicing their outrage at the disgrace we have become, they make lame attempts at humour and jibs and snide remarks.

some posters have no shame, no shame about being wrong about Wenger and no shame in having digs at passionate supporters.

Not to worry Wenger is on his way out, just a pity he cant take some of his apologists with him, but not to worry, the club is on its way back to the true fans. Wengers true colours are being revealed.

You again? I thought you were out until next season, but you just can't help yourself.

Just because someone doesn't cry like a baby when their football team loses, doesn't make them an 'apologist'.

Some of us are around here when we're playing well and when we're not......Other people (not pointing any fingers) seem to only show up when the team are doing poorly. True supporters indeed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Theo is just Gevinho in disguise

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

That's unfair on Gervinho, take it back!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Not a big fan of some of these social media websites but they've nailed it here:

"Theo Walcott was Arsenal's captain for the three-nil defeat away to Crystal Palace on Monday night.
    That was Arsene Wenger's first major error on the night.

Walcott embodies almost everything that has been wrong about Wenger's second decade as Arsenal manager.

There was massive hype surrounding the England winger when he was signed back in 2006, but it quickly became apparent that he was no more than a useful squad player.

However, 11 years later, he's Arsenal's captain for a must-win game.

Wenger's blind loyalty in Walcott, and other underperforming players - we're looking at you, Granit Xhaka - has come back to haunt him.

The Arsenal manager has been positively reinforcing mediocrity for years. There appears to be no consequence for playing poorly. If there was, players like Walcott wouldn't be still at the club."

https://www.sportsjoe.ie/football/jamie-carragher-was-absolutely-disgusted-by-theo-walcotts-comments-after-arsenal-loss-120123

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,096 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

As big Sam said in his sky sports interview arsenal are easy to get at and leave so much space for the counter attack and the two fullbacks playing as wingers easy to play against sums it up as no heart and desire.
    Having followed arsenal for over 40 years this is a sad sight of a side with no honest heart, in the good old days of one nil to the arsenal, them boys played with heart and most of them full of beer and not on the crazy money like these hand bags are on now with tattoos and designer hair and the whole time preening themselves for the camera.
    Take our present squad if the whole lot was put up for sale today who would want any of them the way they have performed this season, maybe Sanchez who when he complained about lack of desire in the team, he was slaughtered for up setting the dressing room, to be honest not one team above us would buy any of them.
    Bring back George graham and see how many would last under him for work, heart, will to grind out results,and play like arsenal players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,520 ✭✭✭✭DvB

As someone mentioned previously in the thread i'm hoping that the lack of confirmation from AW or the club with respect to his tenure is a screen put in place whilst his successor is being lined up, and that the announcement re: AW will come at the same time the new manager* is confirmed... at least thats my silver lining to this storm.

*Please be Allegri!!!!!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

fun fact

Arsenal are currently closer to 16th-placed Crystal Palace (20 points) than they are to 1st-placed Chelsea (21 points)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I thought Jamie Carragher nailed it with his comments last night, well worth a read:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/29327/10833346/jamie-carraghers-passionate-analysis-of-arsenal

His Souness quote was the only smile I got last night

"The best description of the players was two years ago from Graeme Souness, who said they are a team of son-in-laws.

"But what father would want his daughter to bring one of them home?

"I'm serious. They bottle it, they're cowards, they duck out of challenges. Is that the type of man you want to bring your daughter home?"

Andip wrote: »
    I thought Jamie Carragher nailed it with his comments last night, well worth a read:

http://www.skysports.com/football/news/29327/10833346/jamie-carraghers-passionate-analysis-of-arsenal

"The best description of the players was two years ago from Graeme Souness, who said they are a team of son-in-laws.

"I'm serious. They bottle it, they're cowards, they duck out of challenges. Is that the type of man you want to bring your daughter home?"

I'm sure their bank balance could help you see past that. Either that, or tell your daughter to only date rugby players.

Andip wrote: »

Souness exact quote was from the victory against City two years ago where he said 'Arsenal are a team of ideal sons in laws' in that they were too gentlemanly wheras Carragher is taking the view of who'd want their daughter dating a wuss like some of them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I'm sure most father in laws would be delighted if the daughter was with a fella on £150,000 a week.

Stupid comment from Carragher there. I understand what he was trying to say but there are more mature ways of putting it.

• Advertisement

It would take a special type of woman that wouldnt date a millionaire footballer for ducking out of a challenge and a special type of father in law not to approve of a millionaire footballer regardless of their level of bravery :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement