Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Since the 15th February we have only beaten 3 teams - Sutton Utd, Lincoln City and West Ham United. That is the level we are now reduced to under Wenger.
    Totally unacceptable. Any other manager in the entire league would have been sacked.

I'm sure most father in laws would be delighted if the daughter was with a fella on £150,000 a week.

Stupid comment from Carragher there. I understand what he was trying to say but there are more mature ways of putting it.

Souness was saying 'id love an Arsenal player for a son in law', i.e he'd be safe in the knowledge that his daughter wouldnt be on the end of a lash out and she would more than likely be able to give her husband a clatter first without retribution. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Arsenal have an outside chance of top 4, a very outside chance.

Is there any point in sacking Wenger now before the season is done? You'll be left with a caretaker manager for the remaining league and cup games.

You wont finish below 7th and ye're 90mins away from another FA cup final and with no alternative managers of any quality available for a 6 week stint, sacking him now makes no sense.

Whats probably better for Arsenal fans though is if Wenger comes out and says I'm walking at the end of the season, at least that will appease the masses and make the end of the season more enjoyable than worrying about another 2 year Wenger reign, unless of course, he stays on and in that case, I have pity on ye all. :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Stupid comment from Carragher there. I understand what he was trying to say but there are more mature ways of putting it.

Someone mentioned it here - most of those Arsenal players wouldn't make it in any of the teams above them - I'd find that more cutting that anything else.

Since the 15th February we have only beaten 3 teams - Sutton Utd, Lincoln City and West Ham United. That is the level we are now reduced to under Wenger.
    Totally unacceptable. Any other manager in the entire league would have been sacked.

Oh be careful what you wish for now Tayto.

Wenger thinks the Arsenal fans who have put up with over a decade of mediocrity are being unreasonable and has traditionally thrown out the Real Madrid link as a threat every now and then.

Is he deluded enough to think they would put up with his success proof tactics for too long? The white hankies would be out after a few games of this sh1t.

• Advertisement

GavRedKing wrote: »

Is there any point in acking WEnger now before the season is done? You'll be left with a caretaker manager for the remaining league and cup games.

You wont finish below 7th and ye're 90mins away from another FA cup final and with no alternative managers of any quality available for a 6 week stint, sacking him now makes no sense.

Whats probably better for Arsenal fans though is if Wenger comes out and says I'm walking at the end of the season, at least that will appease the masses and make the end of the season more enjoyable than worrying about another 2 year Wenger reign, unless of course, he stays on and in that case, I have pity on ye all. :o
    Totally disagree.
    A new or caretaker manager could not do any worse than Wenger has done of late. A new/caretaker manager might have a bit of pride and insist on the players showing a bit of balls and pride. There's none now.
    There's plenty of evidence of teams upping their game under a different manager, especially one who has clearly lost the dressing-room. Just look at Palace and Leicester of late.
    Wenger is a busted flush.

Is there any point in acking WEnger now before the season is done? You'll be left with a caretaker manager for the remaining league and cup games.

Id be happy if he announced he is leaving at the end of the season but its more than he deserves. He has taken his legacy apart, brick by brick.

if he stays....well i honestly do not know how I or anyone will endure this car crash any longer.

Arsene is currently trying to put things right at Arsenal

Here he is trying to fix the damage :pac:

C9FjXzYW0AAtgmS.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Totally disagree.
    A new or caretaker manager could not do any worse than Wenger has done of late. A new/caretaker manager might have a bit of pride and insist on the players showing a bit of balls and pride. There's none now.
    There's plenty of evidence of teams upping their game under a different manager, especially one who has clearly lost the dressing-room. Just look at Palace and Leicester of late.
    Wenger is a busted flush.

Ya, the new manager bounce is usually a thing and can get the smaller sides a few points, however, caretakers usually come from within the club, would you want any of the current coaching staff to take over Arsenal for the last few games?

Utd turned to Giggs for a few games after Moyes and nothing really changed at all, the damage was already done, Moyes was never going to get untill the end of that season as he wasnt a legend like Wenger.

If Arsenal fans accept top 4 is out of reach, then the Arsenal Board have 3 very difficult choices to make,

(a) Stick with Wenger, leave him walk with dignity and replace him in the summer
    (b) Sack him and bring in a caretaker and get in a replacement in the summer
    (c) Give him a new contract

I think A and C are more likely than B.

I really dont envy Arsenal at all because its a very tricky situation to handle but the board have to man up and make a decision one way or the other and at this stage, its probably best if Wenger walked himself without being pushed.

Ya, the new manager bounce is usually a thing and can get the smaller sides a few points, however, caretakers usually come from within the club, would you want any of the current coaching staff to take over Arsenal for the last few games?

Utd turned to Giggs for a few games after Moyes and nothing really changed at all, the damage was already done, Moyes was never going to get untill the end of that season as he wasnt a legend like Wenger.

If Arsenal fans accept top 4 is out of reach, then the Arsenal Board have 3 very difficult choices to make,

(a) Stick with Wenger, leave him walk with dignity and replace him in the summer
    (b) Sack him and bring in a caretaker and get in a replacement in the summer
    (c) Give him a new contract

I think A and C are more likely than B.

I really dont envy Arsenal at all because its a very tricky situation to handle but the board have to man up and make a decision one way or the other and at this stage, its probably best if Wenger walked himself without being pushed.

I'd be going for option B in any case.
    Wenger has taken approx 90 million from the club in wages in the last 10 years under false pretences imo. He has ruined any credibility he had. Nora Batty couldn't do any worse and might instil a bit of fear into the squad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Wenger leave now every point in not staying on and getting in a caretaker manager from now till the end of the season players have given up on Wenger simular to what Leicester did,Wenger could have left years ago with a huge legacy that is somewhat overshadowed now I thank him for what he done and achieved but the thanks are running out last 10+ years all he's been is a Master in failure. Time for big change In North London and it starts with him gone first with many more to follow

I'd be going for option B in any case.
    Wenger has taken approx 90 million from the club in wages in the last 10 years under false pretences imo. He has ruined any credibility he had. Nora Batty couldn't do any worse and might instil a bit of fear into the squad.

Nora Batty with Compo as her assistant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I don't think there will be any announcement about his future till after the FA cup semi final. That's the only thing really left to play for as top4 for me, is gone after that shambles last night. He definitely won't be stepping down before the end of the season.
    I am convinced that he is (or already has) going to sign a new deal. However if we lose another 4 or so league games, which is quite possible looking at the fixtures. I don't see how he could conceivably stay on. I just can't see him turning this around. The only way he would get the fans back on side now is if he won the premier league or champions league next season. Which isn't going to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

If things stay the same then we're not making top 4 and we will lose against City at Wembley. Wenger is no longer capable of turning this around.

A caretaker might be able to instil a bit of pride and discipline back to the team and might make the end of season a bit more interesting.

Whatever happens I really don't see how he can sign another contract

I don't think there will be any announcement about his future till after the FA cup semi final. That's the only thing really left to play for as top4 for me, is gone after that shambles last night. He definitely won't be stepping down before the end of the season.
    I am convinced that he is (or already has) going to sign a new deal. However if we lose another 4 or so league games, which is quite possible looking at the fixtures. I don't see how he could conceivably stay on. I just can't see him turning this around. The only way he would get the fans back on side now is if he won the premier league or champions league next season. Which isn't going to happen.

He can't stay. Absolutely not. It's over for him.
    I always believed he would stay because he is very brazen but after last night he's done. There will be outrage if he attempts to stay. There is a mood of of pure anger at the games now.

He can't stay. Absolutely not. It's over for him.
    I always believed he would stay because he is very brazen but after last night he's done. There will be outrage if he attempts to stay. There is a mood of of pure anger at the games now.

Yeah was a typo, meant to say that I was convinced that he would sign on for another two years, not quite sure now though. It definitely looks like his position is untenable now, especially after last night.
    It will be interesting to see what the atmosphere at the home games will be and the reaction they have to Wenger and the players. The away fans will be vocal against him, but a lot of the home fans don't seem to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭MojoRisinnnn

Question for the Arsenal fans; Would you take a 3 or 4 years out of the champions league and no silverware with a new manager if it meant a complete rebuild? For example, what's happened at United since Fergie left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Question for the Arsenal fans; Would you take a 3 or 4 years out of the champions league and no silverware with a new manager if it meant a complete rebuild? For example, what's happened at United since Fergie left?

3-4 years out of the champions league and coming back as a challenging force instead of getting trounced in the last 16 every season? I'd take it now.

United won the FA cup with LVG. Wenger can't seem to best that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

We're hardly bursting with silverware at the moment. The top four thing is a myth - only helps to boost cash in bank that we dont use anyway. Finishing top four has never yielded a trophy outside actually winning the league. And we are far, far away from that.

A rebuild isn't that drastic. We have talent at the club, we are just under utilizing it. A few key players would make a real difference.

A new manager maybe a nice thing and almost inevitable at this stage but it's a shift in attitude from the board that's really required.

We need a new manager and then I genuinely believe we will improve from the last few seasons.
    Man Utd replaced Fergie with the wrong man imo and I said it at the time too. I'd have been really annoyed if Wenger was replaced with Moyes at that time. So picking the next guy is important. There are differences though, Fergie had just won a league title, Wenger hasn't won one since 2004 and Arsenal most likely won't have champions league football either. I think it's a great job to take at this time, the only way is up unlike Moyes at Man Utd.

• Advertisement

That's the way we are currently heading under Wenger.
    We have a large number of the squad not fit for purpose.
    I would expect a re-build when he goes but not being in the CL is just a prospect as the next man could easily get us there. Either way Wenger has to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I was hoping to log on to see that Wenger had the grace to resign. No such chance. Delusion beyond belief. When we get comments like this, http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39561624. It only reinforces my belief. Some supporters might think we can salvage something if we win the FA cup. Not a hope in hell IMO.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    I was hoping to log on to see that Wenger had the grace to resign. No such chance. Delusion beyond belief. When we get comments like this, http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39561624. It only reinforces my belief. Some supporters might think we can salvage something if we win the FA cup. Not a hope in hell IMO.

Wenger is as guilty as the Board.
    He took the big bucks every year and spun the sob stories for Kronke and Co.
    He is a company man. If they want him to stay then he will.
    This will not end well. He has more allegiance to the Board than he has to Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

In an ideal world Wenger will leave at the end of the season and at the moment behind the scenes Arsenal are busy sorting a decent manager like Allegri or Simeone.
    They'll be given some decent funds for transfers and can cut any deadwood as they see fit.
    They'll be told next season their aim is top 4 and the season after that they have to push on for silverware.

Unfortunately I can see Wenger hanging around a bit longer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

I've lost all hope that Wenger will go at the end of the season. It feels like Wenger and the board are hoping something improves before they announce a new deal has been signed. And with that I have lost all interest in this season and all interest until Wenger is gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

If he was going, it would have been made public by now, either by the board or the story would have slipped through somewhere.
    Im 100% convinced that he has signed a new deal but the results have been so sh1t that he hasnt been able to announce it yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

wonga77 wrote: »
    If he was going, it would have been made public by now, either by the board or the story would have slipped through somewhere.
    Im 100% convinced that he has signed a new deal but the results have been so sh1t that he hasnt been able to announce it yet

They/he were waiting for the right moment but it's too late for that now. There is no right moment to renew and they can all surely see that. He'll be gone at at the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Im furious at the way its gone but sacking Wenger wont fix anything. He should step down at the end of the season I wouldnt like for him to be sacked I think we have a bit more class than that at Arsenal football club.

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Im furious at the way its gone but sacking Wenger wont fix anything. He should step down at the end of the season I wouldnt like for him to be sacked I think we have a bit more class than that at Arsenal football club.

He wont step down and the board are every bit as delusional although im sensing sudden unrest from Gazidis. We cant keep a manager no longer fit for purpose just because of what he achieved in his first decade at the club. Fact is he has been useless for longer then he has been good now.

Its akin to saying that Kerry should bring back Micko for what he achieved as manager in the 70s and 80s. Time moves on, dressing rooms and tactics change. The current mood at the club is toxic and will only get worse if he sticks around. The board HAVE to act.

Of course the clowns in the media will change their tune if they do so and it will be all 'how dare they treat a man like that who has given 21 years to the club'. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

He wont step down and the board are every bit as delusional although im sensing sudden unrest from Gazidis. We cant keep a manager no longer fit for purpose just because of what he achieved in his first decade at the club. Fact is he has been useless for longer then he has been good now.

Its akin to saying that Kerry should bring back Micko for what he achieved as manager in the 70s and 80s. Time moves on, dressing rooms and tactics change. The current mood at the club is toxic and will only get worse if he sticks around. The board HAVE to act.

Of course the clowns in the media will change their tune if they do so and it will be all 'how dare they treat a man like that who has given 21 years to the club'. :rolleyes:

Surely he cant be that deluded. He has to step down no doubt about it and if the club lets him stay its an absolute disgrace.

Nope. He should go now or be sacked and the bounce under a new man might give us a lift. It's not a classy thing to allow this rubbish to continue.

Surely he cant be that deluded. He has to step down no doubt about it and if the club lets him stay its an absolute disgrace.

There is actually people in the media, aside from the likes of Chris and TY from AFTV and a few that used post around here, backing him. You have the likes of 2 bit journalists like John Cross. Yet all of these people can never explain why he should stay in the face of damning evidence.

All i can say is that these people should be applauded for bringing awareness to mental health issues. They are doing more for the cause then any appropriate charity could ever dream of managing

Nope. He should go now or be sacked and the bounce under a new man might give us a lift. It's not a classy thing to allow this rubbish to continue.

Exactly. Fans face a long trip and high costs up to Middlesbrough to endure more of this sh1t. That for me, isnt very classy of the club.

As Rocky Rocastle once said, 'Remember who you are, what you are, and what you represent'.

I didnt see captain fantastic(Walcott) giving too much of a sh1te last night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Time moves on, dressing rooms and tactics change.

I often think was the worst thing to happen to Arsene when football moved from predominantly 4-4-2 to this 4-2-3-1 that the vast majority of teams deploy nowadays. He never seemed to be able to get the balance right as opposed to previous squads.

I often think was the worst thing to happen to Arsene when football moved from predominantly 4-4-2 to this 4-2-3-1 that the vast majority of teams deploy nowadays. He never seemed to be able to get the balance right as opposed to previous squads.

He should have gone or been pushed the year he was tactically wiped-out when we conceded 6 at Chelsea, 5 at Anfield and another 5 at City.
    His number was up then.
    Incidentally we have conceded 3 in each of our last four away games this season not to mention the CL drubbing.

• Advertisement

He should have gone or been pushed the year he was tactically wiped-out when we conceded 6 at Chelsea, 5 at Anfield and another 5 at City.
    His number was up then.
    Incidentally we have conceded 3 in each of our last four away games this season not to mention the CL drubbing.

Correction! 6 at City :pac:

I agree completely. We limped to the cup win that year. If Hull held on he was surely gone.

Remember the ludicrous situation during the January window where we signed Kim Kallstrom who would miss the next 5 weeks due to a back injury?

i will say though, Kallstrom was one of the better and more determined players to don the red and white in recent years. We should have arguably kept him on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

https://twitter.com/AST_arsenal/status/851776528622989312

Mostly good news from the AST today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

There is actually people in the media, aside from the likes of Chris and TY from AFTV and a few that used post around here, backing him. You have the likes of 2 bit journalists like John Cross. Yet all of these people can never explain why he should stay in the face of damning evidence.

Of course they are with Arsene in place they have half their article already written before we play :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,982 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

All i can say is that these people should be applauded for bringing awareness to mental health issues. They are doing more for the cause then any appropriate charity could ever dream of managing
    Journalists defending him are in a better place that those wanting him out. Arsenal were runners-up in the Premier league last season. There isn't really anything to defend except a bad season so far. If Arsenal make it back into the top four by season's end then they turn out right. Those predicting he should be gone are the ones who look like fools if Arsenal end up finishing third or fourth.

This isn't me defending Wenger, just pointing out how easy it is to stay on his side of the argument.

Personally I think he should see the season out and then a decision should be made. If he finishes fifth or worse then imo he should go.

eagle eye wrote: »
    Journalists defending him are in a better place that those wanting him out. Arsenal were runners-up in the Premier league last season. There isn't really anything to defend except a bad season so far. If Arsenal make it back into the top four by season's end then they turn out right. Those predicting he should be gone are the ones who look like fools if Arsenal end up finishing third or fourth.

This isn't me defending Wenger, just pointing out how easy it is to stay on his side of the argument.

Personally I think he should see the season out and then a decision should be made. If he finishes fifth or worse then imo he should go.

Even fourth shouldnt be enough at this stage. I mean really a glass ceiling of fourth should be acceptable for a club as big as Arsenal?

Ray Parlour was saying in his book how it drove him and the Arsenal players mad when Bruce Rioch used talk of his time at Bolton and comparing it to Arsenal. As far as they were concerned, Arsenal were a bigger club than Bolton in every single way and with all due respect to them there is no way of comparing their prestige.
    Wengers way of thinking has become every bit as mediocre, perhaps more-so even.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I have seen nothing to indicate that we are up for a fight for 4th. Chelsea have it won. Tottenham are 14 points ahead and also out of reach. That leaves Liverpool (9 points) and City 7 points ahead of us.
    Our next games are Boro away, fighting for their life and a very tricky tie given the slump we are in.
    Sunderland at home which is a game we should be winning.
    Tottenham away - the best home record in the league, I wouldnt be holding out hope for any result there.
    Man Utd at home, sickening to admit but Jose has something over Wenger and thats another game I wouldnt be confident of.
    Stoke away - the eternal bogey team

4th is not happening. Theres a huge difference between needing a slice of luck and a complete miracle...

Disagree. If he thought so much of the club as he claims to then he would do the honourable thing and go. He should have done it already.

Second last year wasn't particularly good. We just scraped it and if anything it highlighted even more what a failure of a season it was that we were beaten to the league by Leicester. Last season was a gimme and we still couldn't take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Watching the Barca and Juve game ... That Dybala is an unreal player, werent we linked with him before Juve ? looks like we missed out bigtime probably because wenger woudnt pay the extra £10 for asking price

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Watching the Barca and Juve game ... That Dybala is an unreal player, werent we linked with him before Juve ? looks like we missed out bigtime probably because wenger woudnt pay the extra £10 for asking price

Watching it myself. I am really beginning to doubt that Allegri would want anything to do with that mess at Arsenal working under that shambolic joke of a board and dealing with the likes of our hapless lot when he is surrounded by warriors like Chiellini and Buffon and also has the likes of Higuain and Dybala in his ranks.

Win, lose or draw this tie Juventus are in a far better position then us to challenge for the major European trophies either this season or next and have already achieved alot in Italy these past few years. He would be stone nuts to leave them.

This was all bulls*it undoubtedly fed by the Arsenal board to the media to appease the fans.

Watching it myself. I am really beginning to doubt that Allegri would want anything to do with that mess at Arsenal working under that shambolic joke of a board and dealing with the likes of our hapless lot when he is surrounded by warriors like Chiellini and Buffon and also has the likes of Higuain and Dybala in his ranks.

Win, lose or draw this tie Juventus are in a far better position then us to challenge for the major European trophies either this season or next and have already achieved alot in Italy these past few years. He would be stone nuts to leave them.

This was all bulls*it undoubtedly fed by the Arsenal board to the media to appease the fans.
    Will good players even want to come to Arsenal? Doubt it myself.

True :) was going to add the bit about Allegri not a hope he will come to us now :) unreal manager ... loved how he targeted barca' right hand side in the first half . knows where to hit the opposition unlike wenger . Can actually see Juve winning it this year ( would like to see buffon with a UCL medal before he retires :D ) , that defense is untouchable :eek: maybe bayern could unlock it we will see :D

pudzey101 wrote: »
    True :) was going to add the bit about Allegri not a hope he will come to us now :) unreal manager ... loved how he targeted barca' right hand side in the first half . knows where to hit the opposition unlike wenger . Can actually see Juve winning it this year ( would like to see buffon with a UCL medal before he retires :D ) , that defense is untouchable :eek: maybe bayern could unlock it we will see :D

If Wenger managed Juve, he'd probably have Chiellini playing a high line right up to the middle of the field.

if there is one team who can unlock that defence its Barca, and if not, the ref will give them a penalty or two for nothing.

If Wenger managed Juve, he'd probably have Chiellini playing a high line right up to the middle of the field.

if there is one team who can unlock that defence its Barca, and if not, the ref will give them a penalty or two for nothing.

if wenger managed Juve.... chiellini , bonucci , dybala and cuadrado would be all injured with the last 3 months and woudnt be fit untill 2018 :D:D

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement