Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

Stepping away from the negativity for a minute, bit of trivia.

We have had 17 goalkeepers make at least one appearance in the Premier League since inception. Can you name them?
    Some obviously will be easier to get than others.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Stepping away from the negativity for a minute, bit of trivia.

We have had 17 goalkeepers make at least one appearance in the Premier League since inception. Can you name them?
    Some obviously will be easier to get than others.

I'll bang out the easy ones

Seaman
    Lukic
    Manninger
    Richard Wright?
    Stuart Taylor?
    Mad Jens
    Almunia
    Fabianski
    Sczezney
    Ospina
    Cech
    Martinez

That's 12 assuming the two perennial third choice keepers actually played for us, I know they were at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Seaman
    Lukic
    Manninger
    Richard Wright?
    Stuart Taylor?
    Mad Jens
    Almunia
    Fabianski
    Sczezney
    Ospina
    Cech
    Martinez

That's 12 assuming the two perennial third choice keepers actually played for us, I know they were at the club.

Rami Shaaban
    Vince Bartram
    Mart Poom
    Lee Harper
    Alan Miller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

How did I forget Poom :|

And Rami too. Wasn't going to get the other 3 in a hurry.

Rami Shaaban
    Vince Bartram
    Mart Poom
    Lee Harper
    Alan Miller
    How did I forget Poom :|

And Rami too. Wasn't going to get the other 3 in a hurry.

Seaman
    Lukic
    Manninger
    Richard Wright?
    Stuart Taylor?
    Mad Jens
    Almunia
    Fabianski
    Sczezney
    Ospina
    Cech
    Martinez

Jeez i had read somewhere it was 17 but if you add Vito Mannone to that list it makes 18. I remember Poom playing against Pompey in 2007, Lee Harper played against Southampton in 97. Vince Bartram got a run in the team in 95 as did Alan Miller from 92-94

Correct on the rest of them.

Jeez i had read somewhere it was 17 but if you add Vito Mannone to that list it makes 18. I remember Poom playing against Pompey in 2007, Lee Harper played against Southampton in 97. Vince Bartram got a run in the team in 95 as did Alan Miller from 92-94

Correct on the rest of them.

Completely forgot Vito the Centurion!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Shame Graham Stack didn't get to experience the Premier League

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

greendom wrote: »
    Shame Graham Stack didn't get to experience the Premier League

Is it ?

• Advertisement

liam7831 wrote: »
    Is it ?

well for me yes - he played for my local club Barnet so I'm a bit of a fan of his. At least he got his run in the league cup I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭liam7831

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

I've said it before, transfers have generally gone downhill since David Dein left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

The only way Overmars comes in as a director of football is with Wenger gone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

L'prof wrote: »
    The only way Overmars comes in as a director of football is with Wenger gone

Yeah 100%. There is no way Wenger would accept somebody above him having a say on transfers, fees and wages. Especially if it's somebody that he signed and managed himself like Overmars. The article also said that Arsenal offered Ozil £280,000 a week and that he is stalling on it. Find that very hard to believe.

Yeah 100%. There is no way Wenger would accept somebody above him having a say on transfers, fees and wages. Especially if it's somebody that he signed and managed himself like Overmars. The article also said that Arsenal offered Ozil £280,000 a week and that he is stalling on it. Find that very hard to believe.

if the board had anything about them they would make it a condition of offering him a new contract. Essentially it's to help the club into the post-Wenger era so I'd be all for it. Why Overmars though?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,747 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

The way the board are posturing looks very much like Wenger is staying. The Director of Football would almost certainly be working with him so no surprise its a former player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I can't see Wenger working with a Director Of Football. Effectively the DOF would be Wengers boss and we all know how he'd like that. Wenger would isolate him, making his role untenable.

I think that a DOF's role is to lighten the work load on the manager. Taking some off-field responsibilities from the manager, allowing him to concentrate on training and allowing him to put his concentration on the first team.

My question is, wtf would Wenger actually do if we had a DOF? He's never been one to drill on the training ground. He doesn't take tactics all too seriously or even appear to consider them. He doesn't change the set up of the team to counter the opposition. He'd be limited to doing press conferences, pinning the team sheet on on the wall 2 days before kickoff, sitting on the bench, then doing interviews come the final whistle. He doesn't even give team talks ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

It's the Daily Mirror for feck sack. Pay no heed. Tabloid rubbish.

PS

I'm back to thinking he'll be kept on and we will continue on our downwards struggle. He has a brass neck. The Board do not control him, he controls them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

If Wenger is as wrapped up in the club as some seem to say, what would people think of Wenger becoming the director of football for say a year until other handovers can be done and just get in a new manager?

farna_boy wrote: »
    If Wenger is as wrapped up in the club as some seem to say, what would people think of Wenger becoming the director of football for say a year until other handovers can be done and just get in a new manager?

I wouldn't let him direct my car out of a tight spot.
    I really want him gone from the club.
    It's a "thanks" but "no thanks" answer.

• Advertisement

Tried to get tickets to the united match with a mate of mine in London, but were struggling to get seats together so going to Ireland vs England cricket at Lord's on the same day instead. Might be a blessing in disguise.

Basil3 wrote: »
    Tried to get tickets to the united match with a mate of mine in London, but were struggling to get seats together so going to Ireland vs England cricket at Lord's on the same day instead. Might be a blessing in disguise.
    Hope you can stay awake at the cricket.
    Went to one years ago in London and nearly fell asleep myself. Couldn't make head nor tail of that game. It's far too slow anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

I wouldn't let him direct my car out of a tight spot.
    I really want him gone from the club.
    It's a "thanks" but "no thanks" answer.

Well there is no chance of it happening anyway because he said that he wants to manage some team next year, but if it meant we could get a new manager and get him away from the team without ****ing up everything else, it might be worth considering

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Posted here last night about dybala , but after watching monaco ... Mbappe what a player , reminds me very much of a young TH14 :D

Not that either would be likely to join , who would you pick if given the chance ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Mbappe for me anyway I think

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

More chance of us signing Hanson than there is of us getting Mbappe.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

if the board had anything about them they would make it a condition of offering him a new contract. Essentially it's to help the club into the post-Wenger era so I'd be all for it. Why Overmars though?

Hes doing a decent job at Ajax would be the reasoning I would think

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

keano_afc wrote: »
    More chance of us signing Hanson than there is of us getting Mbappe.

Took me second there, but bravo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Sanchez offered £300k a week. I seriously doubt the club would offer him that kind of deal if they thought he was actually going to take it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

That's mad money. Couldn't see him turning that down if it's true.

• Advertisement

First Tuesday Club podcast in a year uploaded today:

http://thetuesdayclub.libsyn.com/the-tuesday-club-they-dont-even-need-to-kick-us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Sanchez offered £300k a week. I seriously doubt the club would offer him that kind of deal if they thought he was actually going to take it.

Supposedly it's Ivan that has put this to him and not Wenger, no way Wenger would ok that, maybe Ivan has had enough of listening to Wenger

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

No way is he worth that IMO. Wenger would be fuming at that. He could pay at least 6 bargain basement useless players for that, to join the others, lol.

For Sanchez to sign a new contract for the club would be a massive statement of intent - really showing that the days of selling our best players were gone

He's a great advert for the club and if he stays that would encourage others who were a bit doubtful of the direction the club was going in to come to Arsenal.

To buy someone of Sanchez's quality you would be looking to shell out at least 50 million.

For all those reasons he would be well worth 300k a week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Uh-oh.

That's not gonna be a whole heap of fun.

For Sanchez to sign a new contract for the club would be a massive statement of intent - really showing that the days of selling our best players were gone

He's a great advert for the club and if he stays that would encourage others who were a bit doubtful of the direction the club was going in to come to Arsenal.

To buy someone of Sanchez's quality you would be looking to shell out at least 50 million.

For all those reasons he would be well worth 300k a week

Couldn't they make a statement of intent by buying defenders who can keep a clean sheet once every thousand years?

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Couldn't they make a statement of intent by buying defenders who can keep a clean sheet once every thousand years?

Is the problem the defenders or the system they're asked to play in or is it thst half the midfield don't cover or track back properly?

Or that the full backs are expected to attack more than defend?

Is the problem the defenders or the system they're asked to play in or is it thst half the midfield don't cover or track back properly?

Or that the full backs are expected to attack more than defend?

You've seen Gabriel play, right?

Although I will admit all these things contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Sanchez is gone and I don't blame him don't think even 300k a week would keep the lad at the Emirates, there's no way Arsenal offered him that just like there's no way we supposedly have 200million to spend this Summer it's all lies and misleading info to try get fans off the boards back and to still purchase season tickets.
    Kronke is the cancer of the club all he cares about is the profit we are simply a business , Wenger needs to get the boot as well it's well overdue he's not the manager he once was. I'm sure Ozil and Bellerin will leave too along with several others simply a supplier club once again.
    As for players coming in what world class players in there right mind will come to Arsenal the way things are at the moment when you've the likes of City,Chelsea,Spurs,Lpool,United all able to and willing to spend more on wages and 4 will get Cl football too unlike us were not like Chelsea or United the fact we can't attract big players without Cl football.
    Won the league for United selling them Van Persie, will win league for City/Chelsea next year selling them Sanchez which will happen.
    Nothing will change until Kronke,Gazidis and Wenger are out of the club we are falling and things are only getting worse

• Advertisement

Sanchez is gone and I don't blame him don't think even 300k a week would keep the lad at the Emirates, there's no way Arsenal offered him that just like there's no way we supposedly have 200million to spend this Summer it's all lies and misleading info to try get fans off the boards back and to still purchase season tickets.
    When did the club say there's 200m to be spent? I've heard figures thrown around about the club's cash reserves, but never have i heard any official word from the club that they are going to spend 200m.
    Kronke is the cancer of the club all he cares about is the profit we are simply a business , Wenger needs to get the boot as well it's well overdue he's not the manager he once was. I'm sure Ozil and Bellerin will leave too along with several others simply a supplier club once again.
    As for players coming in what world class players in there right mind will come to Arsenal the way things are at the moment when you've the likes of City,Chelsea,Spurs,Lpool,United all able to and willing to spend more on wages and 4 will get Cl football too unlike us were not like Chelsea or United the fact we can't attract big players without Cl football.
    Only City, Chelsea and United are willing and able to spend more on wages than us.
    Won the league for United selling them Van Persie, will win league for City/Chelsea next year selling them Sanchez which will happen.
    Nothing will change until Kronke,Gazidis and Wenger are out of the club we are falling and things are only getting worse
    I really don't think we'll sell Sanchez to Chelsea or City this summer. Better chance of him going on a free next year.

I can't see Sanchez staying with the dross that surrounds him. No wonder he complains.
    Players don't always leave for better money, they leave to win things.
    Many of our players who left like RVP, Clichy, Nasri etc would have won nothing of worth by remaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Kronke is the cancer of the club all he cares about is the profit we are simply a business
    agreed
    All Kronke cares about is paying off the stadium debt.
    All Kronke cares about is keeping top 4 to get the CL revenue
    All Kronke cares about is not paying huge money for world class stars
    All Kronke cares about is balancing the books..
    come to think of it, that actually sounds like most of the rubbish Ive had to listen to on this forum for the last few years from the Wengerites. 
    If Kronke is a cancer because his primary interest is Arsenal the business, then so too were the Arsenal supporters who defended Wenger all because we had a shiny stadium and debt and balanced books..
    And there were plenty of those, although alot of them seem to have had a recent brain fart and suddenly realised we are a FOOTBALL club... and whats happening on the pitch is the important part.
    Wengers been a cockup for the last 5 to 6 seasons, its no wonder he is making a cockup of his transition and departure. 
    The quality,passion,athleticism,grit,determination,skill,tactics, sheer bloody desire on display in the CL quarter-finals was fantastic to see. Theres been some amazing matches, Arsenal are so far off that pace its a inditement of Wenger.. the buck stops there!

All Kronke cares about is balancing the books..
    come to think of it, that actually sounds like most of the rubbish Ive had to listen to on this forum for the last few years from the Wengerites. 

You really need to get over your obsession with referring to certain supporters of the club as Wengerites. Something along those lines is in pretty much every post you make.

At least most people here can debate/discuss/disagree without always having to use childish terms like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

I can't see Sanchez staying with the dross that surrounds him. No wonder he complains.
    Players don't always leave for better money, they leave to win things.
    Many of our players who left like RVP, Clichy, Nasri etc would have won nothing of worth by remaining.

Totally agree. No matter how far we get up the table we always seem to mess it up re a title shot, at Christmas or just after. It's become so predictable, that we as fans are resigned to it. It's almost like an illness that spreads through the team and inertia sets in. Most of us know the cure.

Lots of talk on Twitter that we have bought Kolasinac, a Bosnian full back with Shalke on a free. Don't know much (anything) about him but the 23 year old does appear to be highly sought after

• Advertisement

Doesn't matter who we sign at this stage. Wenger's tactics would expose any defence. We are a team littered with internationals but defend like a pub team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭djan

A fantastic player, very fast, 6ft tall and extremely strong no nonsense kind of player with a bit of aggresion. Has a great cross and good awareness too. In a way I feel he is more of a Chelsea kind of player, Arsenal seems a bit squishy these days :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

If it's true that he has signed a pre contract deal, then I think we can safely assume that Wenger was behind the signing and is staying next season? (Not that it was in doubt, regardless of how bad we have been)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

If it's true that he has signed a pre contract deal, then I think we can safely assume that Wenger was behind the signing and is staying next season? (Not that it was in doubt, regardless of how bad we have been)

Talk that deal was done regardless of what Wenger wanted, also talk of Ox heading to anfield, if it's true not much of a loss he only has 15-20 decent minutes in him when he plays then blows his load, another injury prone player out the door hopefully

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement