Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Talk that deal was done regardless of what Wenger wanted, also talk of Ox heading to anfield, if it's true not much of a loss he only has 15-20 decent minutes in him when he plays then blows his load, another injury prone player out the door hopefully

Well I hope that's the case, I'm sure we will know in the next month or so. Yeah the Ox is a strange one, has never really got going in all his years here, but I do think he is really talented and just hasn't shown it yet. There are plenty of other players I'd let go ahead of the Ox, just hope that he doesn't prove the club wrong if he does go to Liverpool.

Also if it is true that he has signed for Liverpool, then I'd hope that he is left out of all squads from now till the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

I'd try if it was at all possible to get rid of unwanted players to clubs outside England. Players who have underperformed for Arsenal may not underperform for their next club and I'd be really afraid letting lads go to rivals could end up biting us in the ar$e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I'd offload Ramsey, Wilshere, Gabriel, Gibbs, Jenko, Debuchy, Mert, Coq and Sanogo as a start. Only real potential there is Wilshere and Ramsey who aren't happy being bit part players and can't be relied upon for 20 games a season even if their form did dramatically improve.

domrush wrote: »
    I'd offload Ramsey, Wilshere, Gabriel, Gibbs, Jenko, Debuchy, Mert, Coq and Sanogo as a start. Only real potential there is Wilshere and Ramsey who aren't happy being bit part players and can't be relied upon for 20 games a season even if their form did dramatically improve.

The problem with your list (and most people's lists of who they want gone) is that the bulk of the players are home grown, so we wouldn't necessarily be able to get rid of them all and bring in world class talent to replace them due to squad restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Basil3 wrote: »
    The problem with your list (and most people's lists of who they want gone) is that the bulk of the players are home grown, so we wouldn't necessarily be able to get rid of them all and bring in world class talent to replace them due to squad restrictions.

I agree we'd never get rid of them of all, Wilshere and Gibbs probably deserve squad places but its hard to see most of the rest fit in a title challenging team. I certainly wouldn't get rid of Ox though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

sonic85 wrote: »
    I'd try if it was at all possible to get rid of unwanted players to clubs outside England. Players who have underperformed for Arsenal may not underperform for their next club and I'd be really afraid letting lads go to rivals could end up biting us in the ar$e.

In fairness ye can't keep players at the club " Incase they do better elsewhere", they are not performing for Arsenal and haven't in years so should be shown the gate, can be replaced with better/hungrier homegrown talent

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Balls should we be selling any half decent player to Liverpool or any of United, City or Chelsea. Sell them elsewhere in England or abroad.

I would rather see a new manager have a go with some of the names on that list than all them all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Id rather see the effect that a new voice could have on players like Ox. Dunno if theres any truth to the story but it does seem to be gathering pace. Was hoping any players we sell would be out abroad so they dont come back to haunt us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

In fairness ye can't keep players at the club " Incase they do better elsewhere", they are not performing for Arsenal and haven't in years so should be shown the gate, can be replaced with better/hungrier homegrown talent

To be fair now nowhere in my post did I say we should keep anyone who isn't up to scratch. I said I'd prefer if we didn't let them go to good teams in England. I've personally had enough of seeing players of ours go to sides like United and City. Let them go to Italy or Spain where they can't affect us

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

domrush wrote: »

I'd agree with Ramsey, Jenko, Mert, Coq and Sanogo. It would be a great summer if we could replace them with better players, but that's a big ask considering the league position we will hold will probably be 7th, so no Euro football. I'd keep Ramsey if Ozil is gone, purely because he does a good job at 10 for Wales when I've seen him there. I'd love to see Debuchy kept if he could regain the form he had pre-injury. I have a football soft spot for Jackie but I would like a huge improvement from him. I think he's technically brilliant, and he's been relatively injury free under Howe. He has the most assists this season than any other Bournemouth player...

Lastly this new player linked to us, and the claim that it means Wenger is staying? Not necessarily true, it could be the "new manager" has a wish list and this guy was one of them... Of course, I'm most likely in denial (like Arsene) and AW is more than probably staying... :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

The first thing we need is for Wenger to leave. We will never win the league under him again.
    Then we need to start setting up a solid defence with a beast of a CB or two and a quality keeper. Our keepers are poor. You need a good foundation to build on.

Rumours no flying around that Wenger has blocked the boards attempts to bring in Henry on a coaching level to give the team a boost, if this comes out as true it's a disgrace that a manager has so much power but also doesn't want anyone there that players might respect more than him. I think things are about to get very ugly this summer!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Well there pretty ugly at the moment and we're facing into 3 daunting away games dodgy form or not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Why? There's no need for anything to get ugly, all they've to do is not offer a contract.
    I'm not sure I'd believe it anyway but if it's true Wenger's right, he's the manager, they've given him control. No point sticking in their noses now when he's nearly at the end of his contract when they've sat back & left him to it for years.

I actually think the board don't want him to stay at all, all this talk of changes, sporting directors, sounding out other managers is completely opposed to wanting Wenger to stay.
    If they wanted to plan for Wenger leaving, why didn't they appoint a sporting director in 2014?
    I think they'd prefer him to want to leave the club, instead of it being them not offering a contract.

Can any of you remember what it was like in 2014, I can't really, but Wenger's new contract wasn't announced until the 30th may & I don't remember all this nonsense going on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Rumours no flying around that Wenger has blocked the boards attempts to bring in Henry on a coaching level to give the team a boost, if this comes out as true it's a disgrace that a manager has so much power but also doesn't want anyone there that players might respect more than him. I think things are about to get very ugly this summer!!!

Personally want Wenger gone but if this is true I would agree with him and it goes back to my statements on Howe. How has Henry ever proven himself at any level, never mind the level we are aiming for?

If we are getting replacements in, let's pay the money and get the best top quality people instead of unproven ex-Arsenal players, just for sentimentality sake.

It's because we'd just broken the trophy duct and majority of the stadium debt was gone so we were told so many believed we were finally ready to challenge for the title again

farna_boy wrote: »
    Personally want Wenger gone but if this is true I would agree with him and it goes back to my statements on Howe. How has Henry ever proven himself at any level, never mind the level we are aiming for?

If we are getting replacements in, let's pay the money and get the best top quality people instead of unproven ex-Arsenal players, just for sentimentality sake.

I think it was to work with the attacking players on one to one basis, tell me Walcott and the likes don't need that sort of help. It's just Wenger wanting a closed shop with no other opinions only his

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Henry had the choice to come to the club earlier and chose to be a pundit with Sky instead.

He may prove to be a decent coach but he's hardly setting things alight with Belgium.

Very good interview with Ozil here...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4414890/Arsenal-s-Mesut-Ozil-Premier-League-toughest-challenge.html

Spurs are gonna win the league. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Watch Spurs win the league now just to further humiliate us.

omega man wrote: »

Just watched the top teams play over the last few weeks. It's amazing how their managers can plan tactically for different teams like Jose did today yet our lad is as naive as a young pup when it comes to that aspect of the game.
    Same auld game plan every match.

No they won't

No they won't

no doubt they are by far the form team at the moment. If they keep playing as they are till the end of the season I wouldn't begrudge them the title, much as it would hurt.

greendom wrote: »
    no doubt they are by far the form team at the moment. If they keep playing as they are till the end of the season I wouldn't begrudge them the title, much as it would hurt.

If our shower could only grow some balls to at least beat them at WHL and damage their challenge. BUT we probably will lie down again and let them tickle our bellies. 17 points behind them with a few games left is an awful indictment on Wenger and his crew.

If our shower could only grow some balls to at least beat them at WHL and damage their challenge. BUT we probably will lie down again and let them tickle our bellies. 17 points behind them with a few games left is an awful indictment on Wenger and his crew.

the way we're playing at the moment, that is one game I'm really not looking forward to. Not much to suggest things will change at all and part of me just wants the season to end.

• Advertisement

greendom wrote: »

Honestly can't see Chelsea losing 2 more in the last 6, but if spurs somehow win it of course they'll deserve it just can't see it myself

Honestly can't see Chelsea losing 2 more in the last 6, but if spurs somehow win it of course they'll deserve it just can't see it myself

Chelsea looked very poor today - you'd wonder if they're beginning to brick it a little. Of course it's very likely that Spurs will do the same if they get any closer to winning it (hopefully when they play us!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

There's no shame in admitting Spurs are better then us at the moment. Talk of a power shift is bolloxology of the highest order, but they're streets ahead of us in terms of quality, desire and sheer determination.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭Barlett

Spurs are well ahead of us & should be beating us in a couple of weeks, but they won't win the league this year , mainly because Chelsea have a much easier run in . That said considering their current position , they are much closer to winning the league than we will be in the coming couple of seasons

I think we could be in for a mauling at the lane if our form doesn't pick up between now and then

• Advertisement

omega man wrote: »
    No they won't

Serious question for Arsenal fans. If you were told by some form of apparition that Spurs winning the league this year was the moment Arsenal turned things around and changed the mediocre culture within the club, would you be happy in that knowledge?

Honestly, i probably would but id need more proof :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MonsterCookie

Don't care if spurs or Chelsea win. Honestly, what difference does it make to us?

In a way I think spurs would be worthy champions. They play decent football and have a good manager.

Our failings this season are depressingly predictable and we have followed the same pattern almost every season...the only variable is when (what month) the wheels come off the wagon.

Spurs won't win it but if they did they would deserve it.
    They took a chance on a new young manager with great ideas and a nice brand of football.
    They bought well too and weren't afraid to spend.

If anyone has Sky but not Sky Sports Arsenal are Free to Air on Sky Sports Mix this evening CH 407

Wow, that's different! . Holding, Kos and Gabriel in a back 3!

Check out @Arsenal's Tweet: https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/854031729727852544?s=09

Same old tactics. Lol.

Glad Wenger has finally started listening to a few Boardsies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

I'm not convinced it's not Gabriel at right back in a back 4

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭jonneymendoza

Same old tactics. Lol.

Glad Wenger has finally started listening to a few Boardsies.
    Too little too late

Too little too late

Was gonna say that....But i knew I'd spoil somebody's fun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Must be the first time we have played three at the back since the days of Adams, Bould and Keown?

• Advertisement

Let's be brutal. We don't need tactics to beat mboro. The teams ability speaks volumes. It's the desire that's gone out of this club.

It will not be 3 at the back. Gab will play r/b.

Let's be brutal. We don't need tactics to beat mboro. The teams ability speaks volumes. It's the desire that's gone out of this club.
    We will probably win this 3 nil.
    There's nothing at stake now.

We haven’t lost five successive top-flight away games since December 26 1984. The only Arsenal players to have appeared in the Premier League this season and be alive when this happened were Petr Cech (2 years, 220 days old) and Santi Cazorla (13 days old). :)

We will probably win this 3 nil.
    There's nothing at stake now.
    Top 4 is

Top 4 is
    :pac:

It will not be 3 at the back. Gab will play r/b.

Did you look at the formation Arsenal tweeted? I'm assuming it came from somewhere.

Did you look at the formation Arsenal tweeted? I'm assuming it came from somewhere.

I prefer to see how they start.
    Our defenders have been rubbish all season BUT i think he'll still have 4 across the back.

What's going on here? Crosses to Giroud in the box? Weird.

• Advertisement

ozil looking happy and smiling also ... weird is right basil :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement