Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Was just looking up Walcott's goal scoring record yet, to see if the 99 goals were across all competitions or just premier league but apparently it's all competitions.

What I didn't realise though was that Giroud currently has 93 goals for Arsenal. Giroud also has more league goals for Arsenal than Walcott (65 vs 63).

To be honest, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Now I know they play in different positions but it just seems kind of strange at the same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,742 ✭✭✭✭AdamD

Walcott has something like 100+ appearances off the bench. A lot of his games would have been as a teenager and the vast majority on the wing rather than up front. Can't be compared really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,205 ✭✭✭Gringo180

Walcott is average at best. Wouldnt get into any of the top 6 starting 11

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

AdamD wrote: »
    Walcott has something like 100+ appearances off the bench. A lot of his games would have been as a teenager and the vast majority on the wing rather than up front. Can't be compared really

A few more stats around each so as well.

Walcott will be the slowest player ever to reach 100 goals for the club (of the 17 that actually have).

Giroud has currently 210 games so if he can score the 100th before his:
      238th game he will be faster than van Persie
      251st game he will be faster than Alan Smith
      276th game he will be faster than Frank Stapelton
      296th game he will be faster than Bergkamp

(All info taken from http://www.transfermarkt.com and http://www.arsenal.com/history/club-records/goalscoring-records)

farna_boy wrote: »
    A few more stats around each so as well.

Walcott will be the slowest player ever to reach 100 goals for the club (of the 17 that actually have).

Giroud has currently 210 games so if he can score the 100th before his:
      238th game he will be faster than van Persie
      251st game he will be faster than Alan Smith
      276th game he will be faster than Frank Stapelton
      296th game he will be faster than Bergkamp

(All info taken from http://www.transfermarkt.com and http://www.arsenal.com/history/club-records/goalscoring-records)

Giroud is a player that could of easily been an important player in Wengers best Arsenal teams. On the other hand Walcott would never of even made the travelling squad. But nowadays Walcott is a regular starter for us. Therein lies the problem. Too many players at the club that arent at the required standard.

Draxler having a great game v Barcelona. Just scored there putting PSG 2 nil up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Gringo180 wrote: »
    Draxler having a great game v Barcelona. Just scored there putting PSG 2 nil up.

Moves like and makes a lot of the same shapes as Robin van Persie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Theres something very satisfying about seeing barca getting a hiding

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,521 ✭✭✭✭mansize

We really struggled against PSG...

Hello from Munich btw!

• Advertisement

mansize wrote: »

Hello from Munich btw!

Should of at least put 6 past us. Cavani had a mare in front of goal that night.

Moves like and makes a lot of the same shapes as Robin van Persie.

Definitely has talent. Has done a good few poor things this match, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Hello from Munich btw!

who're you over with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I shouldn't be laughing at Barcelona seeing how we are playing Bayern tomorrow, but it's comedy gold watching them play now :D

batistuta9 wrote: »
    who're you over with?

Gay Gooners

wonga77 wrote: »
    Theres something very satisfying about seeing barca getting a hiding

Whats seldom is wonderful. PSG were on fire tonight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I hope the players got a lift from last night. A team that finished second to them in their Champions League group and couldn't beat Arsenal over 180 minutes has just thumped Barca 4 - 0!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

greendom wrote: »
    I hope the players got a lift from last night. A team that finished second to them in their Champions League group and couldn't beat Arsenal over 180 minutes has just thumped Barca 4 - 0!

The only reason they didn't thump us was Cavani had 2 left boots on, nothing to do with how we played

FixitFelix wrote: »
    The only reason they didn't thump us was Cavani had 2 left boots on, nothing to do with how we played

The team showed good character in both matches, despite being outplayed at times, they fought hard and got rewarded. More of the same tonight will help. Not sure if they're capable but we live in hope.

Although the stats from the home game are a bit damning. We had 2 shots only one of which was on target yet managed to draw 2 - 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭ronjo

The team showed good character in both matches, despite being outplayed at times, they fought hard and got rewarded. More of the same tonight will help. Not sure if they're capable but we live in hope.

Although the stats from the home game are a bit damning. We had 2 shots only one of which was on target yet managed to draw 2 - 2.

We need to see something tonight that we probably havent see in two years when we went to City and turned them over.
    I am absolutely dreading this game I have to say.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Not confident tonight at all, and if anybody is, they're either dreaming or deluded. Our form is poor, our playmaker is playing awful and our midfield is rather weak at the moment, although Xhaka ad Elneny both available again, lessens that argument. No confidence at all for tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

ronjo wrote: »
    We need to see something tonight that we probably havent see in two years when we went to City and turned them over.
    I am absolutely dreading this game I have to say.
    no need, Bayern are stumbling at the moment and something like a 1-1 draw tonight wouldn't surprise me, which for Arsenal would be a very good result.

no need, Bayern are stumbling at the moment and something like a 1-1 draw tonight wouldn't surprise me, which for Arsenal would be a very good result.

They are 7 points clear at the top of their league, won 5 of their last 6 (drew other) and have only lost one game all season. I am not sure how they can be said to be stumbling?

So pumped for the game

1-2

Özil with the winner

They are 7 points clear at the top of their league, won 5 of their last 6 (drew other) and have only lost one game all season. I am not sure how they can be said to be stumbling?

Alternative Facts perhaps ????

they should have been beaten by Schalke at home in the first game after the christmas break.
    In the last game they were held to a 0-0 until getting 2 goals in injuiry time.
    In the cup last week they only beat Wolfsburg 1-0 and didnt look like getting much more, despite wolfsburg being pretty desperate.

theres a lot of reliance on Lewandowski pulling a wonder goal out of his @rse , kindof like back in the days when Torres was with Liverpool when you'd be writing off a result as a middling performance deserving a draw but the individual genius gets you the 3 points.

The 7 point lead in the league is only since last weekend when Leipzig and Dormund both unexpectedly lost, and Bayern VERY luckily won

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,407 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

they should have been beaten by Schalke at home in the first game after the christmas break.
    In the cup last week they only beat Wolfsburg 1-0 and didnt look like getting much more, despite wolfsburg being pretty desperate.

theres a lot of reliance on Lewandowski pulling a wonder goal out of his @rse , kindof like back in the days when Torres was with Liverpool when you'd be writing off a result as a middling performance deserving a draw but the individual genius gets you the 3 points.

The 7 point lead in the league is only since last weekend when Leipzig and Dormund both unexpectedly lost, and Bayern VERY luckily won

I wish Arsenal's stumbles were like that, we'd have closed the gap on Chelsea to a couple of points by now...

Good summary thanks.
    I was just looking at bare stats.
    Problem is that however bad their form is I would lay good odds that its considerably better than Arsenals..

That's how winners win, tbf

well, yea

and the game against Leipzig just before the xmas break who were level at the time at top of the table was class to be fair.
    Bayern had to step up their game and they really put Leipzig in their box.

Still, if they are relying on turning on and off the form when needed, you dont know which Bayern will line out tonight. The PSG result against Barca last night might be a good wake up call to being their A game to the stadium tonight.

Are any of ye over for the game tonight?

Gay Gooners

Is that how you got tickets.

What's Munich like, never hear it mentioned much apart from Oktoberfest.

• Advertisement

A German reporter was on the radio this morning saying there has been a decline in the quality of football in the Bundesliga and Bayern aren't as strong as they were under Guardiola.

Maybe there's some hope !

well, yea

and the game against Leipzig just before the xmas break who were level at the time at top of the table was class to be fair.

Still, if they are relying on turning on and off the form when needed, you dont know which Bayern will line out tonight. The PSG result against Barca last night might be a good wake up call to being their A game to the stadium tonight.

That's ancelotti's 'thing' though isn't, getting teams up for the bigger/cup games. He's got the reputation of being more hands off, needs a certain type/quality of player for it to work well.

Probably why I wouldn't choose him to succeed Wenger, I think arsenal players need someone to coach the life out of them

well, yea

Yes. And the atmosphere in München is great!

Love Germany, love Merkel. My kinda country

batistuta9 wrote: »
    Gay Gooners

Is that how you got tickets.

What's Munich like, never hear it mentioned much apart from Oktoberfest.

Yes. A large supporters club that share tickets etc

Going to London leg too.

Yes. A large supporters club that share tickets etc

Going to London leg too.
    fair play! I've never heard an Irish accent among the away supporters for any of the English teams visiting over the years so wasn't sure if any at all would be making the journey.

fair play! I've never heard an Irish accent among the away supporters for any of the English teams visiting over the years so wasn't sure if any at all would be making the journey.

No prob. If ur about Munich today Dm me for coffee etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Aw man, forgot about the Lewandowski factor. Not the fact that he scores goals, its having to watch his pathetic playacting for 90 minutes as he goes down at the slightest touch over and over again.

keano_afc wrote: »
    Aw man, forgot about the Lewandowski factor. Not the fact that he scores goals, its having to watch his pathetic playacting for 90 minutes as he goes down at the slightest touch over and over again.

Hopefully Gab or someone gives him a good reason to

• Registered Users Posts: 4,692 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Maybe there's some hope !
    There's none!
    Please, don't do it to yourself. Myself and my partner were looking at our eldest son the other day playing out the back garden pretending to be Alexis and Ramsey etc. I wanted to go out and shake some sense into him... I don't want him to have the same misery we've endured for the last 12 years!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Hello from Munich btw!

Enjoy the game!!

No prob. If ur about Munich today Dm me for coffee etc
    am working all day so heading more or less (via a quick pint in Kennedys pub) to the game.

just a warning too, security staff at the stadium have turned into right muppets now and no bag of any size is allowed in, not even a plastic shopping bag (not even if its empty)
    If youre bringing anything to the stadium, there's a left luggage place just as you exit the u-bahn station at the start of the walk up to the stadium

emmetlego wrote: »
    There's none!
    Please, don't do it to yourself. Myself and my partner were looking at our eldest son the other day playing out the back garden pretending to be Alexis and Ramsey etc. I wanted to go out and shake some sense into him... I don't want him to have the same misery we've endured for the last 12 years!

I feel your pain! Still, hope springs eternal. Defies all logic but it does

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

emmetlego wrote: »
    There's none!

I'd still rather have suffered the misery of the last 12 years than be a Utd, Chelsea, City, Liverpool or Sp*** fan.

I'd still rather have suffered the misery of the last 12 years than be a Utd, Chelsea, City, Liverpool or Sp*** fan.
    funnily, there was a child pyschologist on in the german newspapers last week with the theory that its bad for kids to support Bayern as they dont learn to loose and get a warped view of the world.

So, something to be said for Arsenal not doing all that good for the past decade. It gives kids a sense of perspective, and lessons in how to cope with loosing.

funnily, there was a child pyschologist on in the german newspapers last week with the theory that its bad for kids to support Bayern as they dont learn to loose and get a warped view of the world.

So, something to be said for Arsenal not doing all that good for the past decade. It gives kids a sense of perspective, and lessons in how to cope with loosing.

I wonder which is better for your mental faculties ?

Supporting a club that you expect to win week in week out and they do

Supporting a club that you expect to win week in week out and they don't

Or supporting a club that you invariably expect to lose and more often than not they do.

I suppose to be well rounded you need to support a club that goes through all 3 stages at different times. There you have it,proof positive that the Arsenal way of doing pretty much the same thing year in, year out is bad for your mental health!

• Advertisement

I wonder which is better for your mental faculties ?

Supporting a club that you expect to win week in week out and they do

Supporting a club that you expect to win week in week out and they don't

Or supporting a club that you invariably expect to lose and more often than not they do.

I suppose to be well rounded you need to support a club that goes through all 3 stages at different times. There you have it,proof positive that the Arsenal way of doing pretty much the same thing year in, year out is bad for your mental health!

Of all the things that impact on my mental health, Arsenal would be least.

Then again CBT taught me not to deal in win or lose, all or nothing extremes, and sometimes 2nd is a great achievement

am working all day so heading more or less (via a quick pint in Kennedys pub) to the game.

just a warning too, security staff at the stadium have turned into right muppets now and no bag of any size is allowed in, not even a plastic shopping bag (not even if its empty)
    If youre bringing anything to the stadium, there's a left luggage place just as you exit the u-bahn station at the start of the walk up to the stadium

Cheers for the heads up

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Hows everybody feeling about tonight hard really to get ante class of hope up after our last trip to munich

Hows everybody feeling about tonight hard really to get ante class of hope up after our last trip to munich

1-2. Özil to score winner!!!

COYG!!!

4-1 Munich :mad:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement