Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

pudzey101 wrote: »
    Whats the news with Sead Kolasinac from schalke ? Seen hes highlights from last nights game , bagged 2 assists . More than Monreal got all season .

Im wondering though is Monreal suffering because he is 1) instructed to push up the pitch and 2) The winger in front of him isnt giving him enough cover. Similarly with Bellerin.

Is Kolasinac going to become another casualty of this regime?

Another thing i just remembered is that the season tickets are up for renewal so its warchest/linked with everyone time :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

it would be some culture shock for Turan to go from a dressing room full of winners at Barca (Since 2015) and Atletico Madrid (2011-15) to a dressing room where seemingly ambition, guts and drive goes to die.

well i suppose its down to whether he want to sit on the bench or play football

FixitFelix wrote: »
    well i suppose its down to whether he want to sit on the bench or play football

I hear ya but I'd imagine he'd still have ambition to win at the same time or compete at least

Im wondering though is Monreal suffering because he is 1) instructed to push up the pitch and 2) The winger in front of him isnt giving him enough cover. Similarly with Bellerin.

Is Kolasinac going to become another casualty of this regime?

Another thing i just remembered is that the season tickets are up for renewal so its warchest/linked with everyone time :rolleyes:

That's not why he's suffering. He's just been playing poorly. He's been done multiple times by tricky-footed attackers to the point where he seems to have a bit of a mental block one-on-one.

In our last match, he played further forward as a wing back, and he really didn't seem to offer much. I would much rather we played Gibbs if we play 3 at the back again.

If you are going to buy into the whole warchest thing and believe every player we are linked with, despite what happens every single summer, then you really are a glutton for punishment. I follow a bunch of football reporters on Twitter, and i never see half the clickbait rumours that people talk about in here.

Don't forget that all that stuff comes from chancers making up rubbish, not the club. The club has no problems selling season tickets regardless.

Basil3 wrote: »
    That's not why he's suffering. He's just been playing poorly. He's been done multiple times by tricky-footed attackers to the point where he seems to have a bit of a mental block one-on-one.

In our last match, he played further forward as a wing back, and he really didn't seem to offer much. I would much rather we played Gibbs if we play 3 at the back again.

If you are going to buy into the whole warchest thing and believe every player we are linked with, despite what happens every single summer, then you really are a glutton for punishment. I follow a bunch of football reporters on Twitter, and i never see half the clickbait rumours that people talk about in here.

Don't forget that all that stuff comes from chancers making up rubbish, not the club. The club has no problems selling season tickets regardless.

I dont buy into the leaks :confused: Where have I said that? Ive commented on FixitFelix's post and said that in the hypothetical situation that Turan should go to Arsenal that it would be a huge culture shock for him given the dressing rooms he has been in by comparison to our hapless lot (most of which will remain on next season along with Wenger). I couldnt see a deal like this happening the way we are at this moment in time and even if it did, it wouldnt even begin to fix the current malaise we are in.

As for Monreal, i still think the midfielders could have been giving him better cover at times and same for Bellerin. Not quite sure what Gibbs has to offer if he is been kept out of the team the last 2.5 or so seasons by Monreal.

I dont buy into the leaks :confused: Where have I said that? Ive commented on FixitFelix's post and said that in the hypothetical situation that Turan should go to Arsenal that it would be a huge culture shock for him given the dressing rooms he has been in by comparison to our hapless lot (most of which will remain on next season along with Wenger). I couldnt see a deal like this happening the way we are at this moment in time and even if it did, it wouldnt even begin to fix the current malaise we are in.

As for Monreal, i still think the midfielders could have been giving him better cover at times and same for Bellerin. Not quite sure what Gibbs has to offer if he is been kept out of the team the last 2.5 or so seasons by Monreal.

I didn't say you did buy into them. I said *if* you did.

Gibbs has been better than monreal when called upon this season, unless you're saying that you now agree with Wenger selection policy as a basis of player form/ability? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Gibbs is not the answer. I thought everyone knew that. Hence the lack of game time.

Gibbs is not the answer. I thought everyone knew that. Hence the lack of game time.

I'm not saying he's the answer. I'm saying he would be better than monreal as a wing back if we play 3 at the back. He's far from being a world-beater.

I didn't say you did buy into them. I said *if* you did.

Gibbs has been better than monreal when called upon this season, unless you're saying that you now agree with Wenger selection policy as a basis of player form/ability? :pac:

Gibbs came on against Man City at the Emirates last season and was beyond useless and that wasn't his first poor performance for us but it should have been his last game for us. Monreal makes his errors but at the very least he plays with a bit more courage.

I dont agree all of Wengers team selections (the fact Elneny is a bit part player is one of his many peculiarities) but then when you have a dressing room like ours full of bottlers then its hard to know who to pick.

Sure there is even an argument to be made for dropping Ozil on many the occasion. When he can be bothered to show up he is unplayable.

I'm not saying he's the answer. I'm saying he would be better than monreal as a wing back if we play 3 at the back. He's far from being a world-beater.

The answer is that we need new and better players urgently particularly in defence. We are far too porous. Not one of our defenders has had a good season.

• Advertisement

The answer is that we need new and better players urgently particularly in defence. We are far too porous. Not one of our defenders has had a good season.

I think the high pressing line that we deploy at the back is insanity.We get caught soooo many times at this level its painful. And all for what? Our managers silly ideology that everyone has to attack. Obviously to a certain degree you will get away with this if you have the likes of Bergkamp and Henry up front with Vieira doing the hard yards but not in a team of Theo Walcott, Granit Xhaka, or even the likes of Chamberlain and Ramsey

He just doesnt and never has valued the importance of a solid defence. I find it hard to believe that we once went a season in the premier league having only conceded 18 goals (98/99) but that is when we had the famous back four of Adams, Keown, Dixon, Winterburn. When Tony Adams left the club in 2002, he brought in Pascal Cygan.... need i say more?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I think the high pressing line that we deploy at the back is insanity.We get caught soooo many times at this level its painful. And all for what? Our managers silly ideology that everyone has to attack. Obviously to a certain degree you will get away with this if you have the likes of Bergkamp and Henry up front with Vieira doing the hard yards but not in a team of Theo Walcott, Granit Xhaka, or even the likes of Chamberlain and Ramsey

He just doesnt and never has valued the importance of a solid defence. I find it hard to believe that we once went a season in the premier league having only conceded 18 goals (98/99) but that is when we had the famous back four of Adams, Keown, Dixon, Winterburn.  When Tony Adams left the club in 2002, he brought in Pascal Cygan.... need i say more?
    You might want to mention the invincilbles defence - Toure, Cole, Campbell and Lauren

greendom wrote: »
    You might want to mention the invincilbles defence - Toure, Cole, Campbell and Lauren

Yes how could i forget. Toure was a strange one because he was bought as a midfielder and played for us mostly in midfield in 02/03. He may have even played out wide?

They were an excellent defence but not as good a unit as the defence built under GG but that is just my opinion

Sol though, like the famous back five, was rarely caught out and he actually stood out when he returned to Arsenal in 2010.

But the calibre of player on the periphery when the famous five and invincible backs left seen the likes of Senderos and Cygan come in. Senderos who initially showed alot of promise fell asunder under pressure

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭ezekel

An old article now
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/how-george-graham-s-sacking-by-arsenal-20-years-ago-started-a-demise-in-the-art-of-defending-10060618.html

It just baffles me how Bould who was part of that era is not drilling these players or is not being allowed to drill these players the way he was which was a fine art.

Why was he brought in otherwise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

I hear ya but I'd imagine he'd still have ambition to win at the same time or compete at least

Just my own opinion but I'd never see it as winning trophies if I was on the bench playing no active part in actually doing it

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Just my own opinion but I'd never see it as winning trophies if I was on the bench playing no active part in actually doing it

He is mostly used as a sub but tbf he makes his fair share of appearances. Its a squad game and yes while i agree he would rather be starting, at the same time i would say he is more than likely to go back to Atletico or perhaps a Juventus type team.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Any chance of us getting, Buffon, Chielini and Bonucci from Juventus. A master class in defending the other night. 180 plus minutes of football against Barca and no goals conceded. That is the standard we should be aiming at.

ezekel wrote: »
    An old article now
    http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/news-and-comment/how-george-graham-s-sacking-by-arsenal-20-years-ago-started-a-demise-in-the-art-of-defending-10060618.html

It just baffles me how Bould who was part of that era is not drilling these players or is not being allowed to drill these players the way he was which was a fine art.

Why was he brought in otherwise?

That is a very good read and a great reminder of how we used to defend.
    Bould has not learned from his master Graham but even our midfielders could defend then and know what to do because they were drilled so much by Graham. I often wonder what goes on at training now.

That is a very good read and a great reminder of how we used to defend.
    Bould has not learned from his master Graham but even our midfielders could defend then and know what to do because they were drilled so much by Graham. I often wonder what goes on at training now.

There was a period not that long ago, where Coq was very defensively disciplined. If anything, he sat too deep in front of the back 4. Then, at some stage, it seems someone told him that he needed to start acting like a second striker, and he was in the opposition box on a regular basis. Weird stuff.

One of our biggest defensive problems is that our best defensive header of the ball is a handsome French bloke who is usually sitting on our bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

just glancing at the table there. I didn't realise we'd shipped 40 goals Jesus Christ. What a monumental failing. Liverpool have shipped the same with two ****e keepers, no CB pairing, and a winger/CM playing at LB. What a mess.

There was a period not that long ago, where Coq was very defensively disciplined. If anything, he sat too deep in front of the back 4. Then, at some stage, it seems someone told him that he needed to start acting like a second striker, and he was in the opposition box on a regular basis. Weird stuff.

One of our biggest defensive problems is that our best defensive header of the ball is a handsome French bloke who is usually sitting on our bench.

Yep Debuchy was played at CB once or twice and was excellent. Maybe the injuries effected him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭omega man

Glad Chelsea won that. Would rather them in the final (IF we win of course!).

Hopefully that'll knock the wind out of Spurs now.

Actually looking forward to the match tomorrow for a change.

Just looking at Chelsea's bench. Scary.
    They had 3 CB's not playing - Cahill, Terry and Zoume.
    They could bring on subs like Hazard, Costa and Fabregas. Scary.

We are miles behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

So Tottenham have lost the last seven times they got to the semi final.

That's the magic of the cup right there!

(Unless I heard that wrong).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭newbie2

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    So Tottenham have lost the last seven times they got to the semi final.

That's the magic of the cup right there!

(Unless I heard that wrong).

2017, 2012, 2010, 2001, 1999, 1995, 1993

:P

• Advertisement

newbie2 wrote: »
    2017, 2012, 2010, 2001, 1999, 1995, 1993

:P

Seven, & we're in heaven! :)

You can always rely on spurs to cheer you up :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

The same thing happened to Song back in the day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

Underappreciated player Song was. For all our spending in recent years that team of 2008-2011 was a much stronger side.

domrush wrote: »
    Underappreciated player Song was. For all our spending in recent years that team of 2008-2011 was a much stronger side.

Song was an excellent defensive midfielder but seemed to like to push forward a bit too cavalier in his latter days. Whether it was under instruction or not i dont know but his successors (with the word success being used loosely indeed) have followed suit. Arguably the best DM partnership of project youth was Cesc and Flamini from 04-08. They formed a brilliant understanding in the middle and became good friends from what i hear.

At least that team from 08-11 were never battered off the pitch. Got caught naively for some silly goals alright but attacked and kept possession. Eboue was heckled by the crowd in one game which in hindsight was quite disgusting. He was prone to clangers but he played with a bit of heart at least when he stepped out onto the field.

• Advertisement

You can always rely on spurs to cheer you up :D

Ill give them their due they actually played well and looked the more likely team at 2-2. They are building a good team but are not quite the finished article yet. Chelsea dropped players and beat them and could have beaten them by more.

Song was an excellent defensive midfielder but seemed to like to push forward a bit too cavalier in his latter days. Whether it was under instruction or not i dont know but his successors (with the word success being used loosely indeed) have followed suit. Arguably the best DM partnership of project youth was Cesc and Flamini from 04-08. They formed a brilliant understanding in the middle and became good friends from what i hear.

At least that team from 08-11 were never battered off the pitch. Got caught naively for some silly goals alright but attacked and kept possession. Eboue was heckled by the crowd in one game which in hindsight was quite disgusting. He was prone to clangers but he played with a bit of heart at least when he stepped out onto the field.

The Song transformation is easily spotted when looking back. If he had the blonde hair, he was pushing up too much, and no longer became useful. I remember seeing an interview where he stated that it was his wife/girlfriend that convinced him to bleach his hair. She felt it made it easier to stand out on the field. That was also the turning point where he felt playing up the field more would make him stand out. It kind of worked, because it really highlighted his bad points. He should've stuck to what he was good at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Was the Arteta & Ramsey partnership not our best midfield pairing since the Vieira days?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Was the Arteta & Ramsey partnership not our best midfield pairing since the Vieira days?

Not as good as Cesc-Flamini

Not really.
    Agree about the Flamini Fabregas partnership being more reliable.

Arteta was never as commanding as Flamini, despite Arteta being a far greater distributor of the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

No match thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Same team as against Boro

Check out @Arsenal's Tweet:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

greendom wrote: »
    Same team as against Boro

Check out @Arsenal's Tweet:
    Good, now we'll see just how good our 'new system' is! Funnily enough, I think we'll go well today.

De Bruyne just outside the box and all of our players backing away.

Painful. All our players backing away, letting them decide what they want to do, and then David Silva wins the header. Lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Finding it almost impossible to string a few passes together.

We're so bad that a free kick in their half is called an 'opportunity'

Referees covering themselves in glory again today. Hard enough to win without being robbed by them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,852 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Quazzie wrote: »
    Referees covering themselves in glory again today. Hard enough to win without being robbed by them.

Am...Did you see City's disallowed goal???

callaway92 wrote: »
    Am...Did you see City's disallowed goal???

Definitely a valid goal.
    Pep will be pissed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭sonic85

And Ox clipping Aguero. Poor enough game really. The officials are rubbish but it's something to talk about I suppose

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

God SmcM SHUT UP

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Fairly awful game thus far

Last game and a half Giroud might as well not be on the pitch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭farna_boy

Ramsey and Cech both at fault there

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement