Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

a bad day out i feel sorry for the gunner fans here being served that spineless manager and team way too often this season..:eek:

i think there was only going to be one winner today esp at home.

i hope we can win all our home games left and keep chelsea honest :)

we might just break a few of our old records which is another positive season

dont fancy our chances half as much next season in frickin wembley instead of whl:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,985 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

It was confirmed years ago. Today was just a continuation of the dross we've been playing under him for years.
    No you are taking dross here. You don't get 70+ points playing dross in the Premier league. How many times have Arsenal had less than 70 points in the last five seasons?

I don't mind somebody criticising Wenger fairly but you are talking through your backside.

Pochettino thanking the fans for giving them energy in the game and the season so far.
    Don't think I ever heard that from Wenger.

Wait for his post match interview, moody and snotty to the interviewer.

eagle eye wrote: »
    No you are taking dross here. You don't get 70+ points playing dross in the Premier league. How many times have Arsenal had less than 70 points in the last five seasons?

I don't mind somebody criticising Wenger fairly but you are talking through your backside.

Arsenal have been playing really poorly this season. This year we've managed to scrape wins we didn't deserve playing poorly. In the past, we would lose matches we dominated. I thought that might mean it could be our season, as we would easily get points when we played well.

The problem is that we haven't played well at all this whole season.

Wenger basically saying the occasion was too much for our players.
    Telling.....

Basil3 wrote: »
    Arsenal have been playing really poorly this season. This year we've managed to scrape wins we didn't deserve playing poorly. In the past, we would lose matches we dominated. I thought that might mean it could be our season, as we would easily get points when we played well.

The problem is that we haven't played well at all this whole season.
    Yeah that is fair and Wenger has to take blame for it too.

I'm of the opinion that something is wrong behind the scenes that hasn't come to the public arena yet. There are just too many players that look off the pace and basically look like they don't care. This is happening to too many players for it to be a coincidence.

Wenger stormed out and wouldn't answer another question.
    :pac: spoilt brat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Awe he looks old and tired. Embrace your retirement Wenger. You've dodged it long enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

For years Arsenal have come up short when it comes to winning the league. They've just needed 2 or 3 quality signings in key areas like the defence but year after year Wenger didn't deal with it.
    Yes they've finished top 4 consistently but this season it's gone to sh*t.

70+ means jacksh*t if you don't win a league. Unless you're Arsenal and then it's acceptable because we're making loads of profit!!

*Not havng a go at you eagle eye, just annoyed it's come to this with Wenger and Arsenal

• Advertisement

Dross today, dross against Palace, dross against Liverpool, dross against Chelsea, dross against West Brom, dross against Watford, dross twice in the league against City, dross against Everton.

marvin80 wrote: »
    For years Arsenal have come up short when it comes to winning the league. They've just needed 2 or 3 quality signings in key areas like the defence but year after year Wenger didn't deal with it.
    Yes they've finished top 4 consistently but this season it's gone to sh*t.

70+ means jacksh*t if you don't win a league. Unless you're Arsenal and then it's acceptable because we're making loads of profit!!

*Not havng a go at you eagle eye, just annoyed it's come to this with Wenger and Arsenal
    Yeah they've come up short on winning the league but it's not like history suggests you should be winning the league very often. That isn't a dig it's just what history tells us.

You've been up against the multi-millions of Chelsea, United are one of the biggest clubs in the world, then City arrived with their hundreds of millions. Arsenal were the only club doing things the right way and being relatively successful. They paid off the new stadium, they built a good team more than once but just failed to put it over the top. Arsenal fans should be proud of how the club has been run imo.

I understand that you all yearn for a Premier league title and to be more successful in Europe. I agree that it looks like Wenger is done now because either there is something bad going on behind the scenes or he has just lost his way. He is responsible for how Arsenal perform on the field and it hasn't been good enough this season.

When he does go he will leave behind him a very healthy club. I'll put him down as one of the greatest managers in the history of the English league. I'd love to know if what is happening on the pitch is down to him or if there is something else going on though. I've a real strong feeling that something is really wrong that we don't know about. It might be simply players not getting on or it could be something more serious but there really does seem to be a lot of players who don't seem too bothered about their performance.

farna_boy wrote: »
    I find it hilarious that the same people who want a bit of steel in the team then bitch about Xhaka getting stuck in.

As for the rest of the game, we simply weren't good enough. It's not that our final ball isn't good enough, it's simply non-existent.

You have to be clever about it too. Your fúck all good up in the stands

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Haven't been as angry after a game as that in ages. Need to ship out at least half them wasters, manager should just walk now. ****ing joke of a match that was, embarrassing. No fight from any player today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

What about the 6-0 at Chelsea.
    What about the 6-3 at City.
    The 5-1 at Liverpool. 8-2 at United???
    There are others too.
    Had we a different manager then?

The man cannot adapt to change and is tactically shyte.

I'm of the opinion that something is wrong behind the scenes that hasn't come to the public arena yet. There are just too many players that look off the pace and basically look like they don't care. This is happening to too many players for it to be a coincidence.

You are trying to make excuses for Wenger.
    He bought and trains those same players.
    If they're not performing then the buck stops at Wenger's door.

• Advertisement

Yeah they've come up short on winning the league but it's not like history suggests you should be winning the league very often. That isn't a dig it's just what history tells us.
    History tells us Arsenal had won the title the 3rd most times before Wenger arrived. Since he arrived one of the sides ahead haven't won the title.
    You've been up against the multi-millions of Chelsea, United are one of the biggest clubs in the world, then City arrived with their hundreds of millions. Arsenal were the only club doing things the right way and being relatively successful. They paid off the new stadium, they built a good team more than once but just failed to put it over the top. Arsenal fans should be proud of how the club has been run imo.
    Proud ****. Also the stadium hasn't been paid off. Whatever about being run the right way off the pitch, Wenger can **** off. Some people wanted to keep their heads in the sand for the last few years when it's clear Wenger isn't the man to take Arsenal forward.
    I understand that you all yearn for a Premier league title and to be more successful in Europe. I agree that it looks like Wenger is done now because either there is something bad going on behind the scenes or he has just lost his way. He is responsible for how Arsenal perform on the field and it hasn't been good enough this season.
    He's not good enough this season.
    He wasn't good enough last season, we failed to win what would have been the easiest title ever. Oh and beaten 5-1 on aggregate by Barcelona.
    He wasn't good enough in 2014-15 when we won 2 out of 8 to start the season so top 4 was all there was to go for. Oh and getting knocked out of the CL by bloody Monaco.
    He wasn't good enough in 2013-14 when we were top and went on a run of 2 wins in 9. With the title gone we then won 5 in a row for a comfy 4th place.
    He wasn't good enough in 2012-13 when we started the season with 5 wins in 15 matches. But sure we scraped 4th, got knocked out of the cup by Blackburn and went out in the last 16 of the CL again.
    He wasn't good enough in 2011-12 when we started with 2 wins in 7 (including the 8-2 to United), lost 4-0 in the first leg against Milan and got knocked out of the cup by Sunderland.
    He wasn't good enough in 2010-11 when we were in with a shout and then won 4 of our last 14 matches. Yes, that year we were ****ed in the CL against Barcelona.

When he does go he will leave behind him a very healthy club. I'll put him down as one of the greatest managers in the history of the English league. I'd love to know if what is happening on the pitch is down to him or if there is something else going on though. I've a real strong feeling that something is really wrong that we don't know about. It might be simply players not getting on or it could be something more serious but there really does seem to be a lot of players who don't seem too bothered about their performance.
    He's leaving **** all. He's leaving a club interested in nothing but profit and balance sheets. He's leaving a pretty ****ty academy based on what's come out in the last 10 years. He's leaving a pretty ****ty squad that he's been making ****tier year after year.

**** him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭smilerf

Don't often post here I'm more of a lurker but jesus that was terrible
    First off that Xhaka is woeful
    Giroud seems to be in decline
    Cech was good
    Gabriel is terrible should be shipped off along with Xhaka
    Rant over ha

Lovely prose and well written but it's s**** talk.
    Who do you think runs the team and buys the players? The tea lady??

It's not often I agree with the articles on Arseblog but this about sums it up even if it does go a wee bit easy on those that run our club -
    http://arseblog.com/2017/05/sprs-2-0-arsenal-still-coffin-requires-nails/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

He's leaving **** all. He's leaving a club interested in nothing but profit and balance sheets. He's leaving a pretty ****ty academy based on what's come out in the last 10 years. He's leaving a pretty ****ty squad that he's been making ****tier year after year.

**** him.

When Wenger arrived Arsenal had a couple of bad seasons but were still a big player in the league after George Graham.

If we forgot that little gap between Graham and Wenger, are Arsenal really that much better off than they are now?

When George Graham was manager they were generally finishing in the Top 4 (when finishing 4th wasn't an achievement) and winning a couple of titles in that time. Arsenal were also big contenders for the FA Cups and League cups.

When George Graham was manager, Arsenal were not paupers either. They were behind the financial strength of Man Utd, Liverpool and Blackburn but still a club that could pick off top players around the league.

So what is different now?

Arsenal finish around the top 4 region (which is now artificially an 'achievement") and they are behind the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea and City for spending power. They are also big contenders for FA Cups and League Cups

The only thing that I can see that is different now is the team names.

Arsenal now are the exact same Arsenal as George Graham left.

• Advertisement

When Wenger arrived Arsenal had a couple of bad seasons but were still a big player in the league after George Graham.

If we forgot that little gap between Graham and Wenger, are Arsenal really that much better off than they are now?

When George Graham was manager they were generally finishing in the Top 4 (when finishing 4th wasn't an achievement) and winning a couple of titles in that time. Arsenal were also big contenders for the FA Cups and League cups.

When George Graham was manager, Arsenal were not paupers either. They were behind the financial strength of Man Utd, Liverpool and Blackburn but still a club that could pick off top players around the league.

So what is different now?

Arsenal finish around the top 4 region (which is now artificially an 'achievement") and they are behind the likes of Man Utd, Chelsea and City for spending power. They are also big contenders for FA Cups and League Cups

The only thing that I can see that is different now is the team names.

Arsenal now are the exact same Arsenal as George Graham left.
    In the table Arsenal are in a very similar position to when George Graham was manager.
    BUT performance-wise we are miles behind at the moment. Nobody fears playing against us and know how to beat us, bully us and get into our faces. We are now a soft touch. We now have soft players without any fight in them. George would not have allowed that to happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Prisoner6409

As an Arsenal supporter I am disgusted at the antics of Sanchez in the game against Leicester, and the excuse that they all do it does not cut it. Footballers are fast descending into the lowest of the low when it comes to cheating. I will except there are some that do not engage in cheating but far to many do and far to many are defended by their teammates and managers. What Sanchez did was just downright disgusting and the idea was to get the other player sent off. He even thought about it for about 2 seconds. Then we had fellaini and that other ManU player that dived to get a pen, cheated and fooled the Ref. These guys are living other people's dreams and still they can't be true to the game.

Arsenal finished 12th in 94/95 and were well down the table when George Graham was sacked. Bruce Rioch was the manager the next year and they fnished 5th. Wenger took over the following season and their worst finish in his time, to this point, has been fourth.

Nobody in the history of Arsenal FC who has managed the club for 12 months or more has a better win/loss record, nobody has won as much and nobody has a league record as good.

I'm not an Arsenal fan but I've enjoyed watching them play football for pretty much all of Wenger's time there. I've said that he has to take the blame for what is going on this season and it looks to me like his time there is done.

In the last fifty years Arsenal have won six league titles and Wenger was manager for three of them. They've won the FA Cup nine times over that period of time and Wenger has been there for six of them.

In Europe he has been a let down for sure but Arsenal have only ever won the Fairs Cup and the Cup Winner's Cup.

People can complain about this season and that is very fair criticism but to suggest he has been bad for years there is not fair.

Arsenal finished 12th in 94/95 and were well down the table when George Graham was sacked. Bruce Rioch was the manager the next year and they fnished 5th. Wenger took over the following season and their worst finish in his time, to this point, has been fourth.

Nobody in the history of Arsenal FC who has managed the club for 12 months or more has a better win/loss record, nobody has won as much and nobody has a league record as good.

I'm not an Arsenal fan but I've enjoyed watching them play football for pretty much all of Wenger's time there. I've said that he has to take the blame for what is going on this season and it looks to me like his time there is done.

In the last fifty years Arsenal have won six league titles and Wenger was manager for three of them. They've won the FA Cup nine times over that period of time and Wenger has been there for six of them.

In Europe he has been a let down for sure but Arsenal have only ever won the Fairs Cup and the Cup Winner's Cup.

People can complain about this season and that is very fair criticism but to suggest he has been bad for years there is not fair.
    Another who sees top 4 as a trophy and who is blind to the humiliating defeats over the past number of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Another who sees top 4 as a trophy and who is blind to the humiliating defeats over the past number of years.

It's not a trophy but it's definitely an indicator of league competitiveness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Surely the managers job is to get performances out of players.

If that isn't his job then what the hell is he being paid millions for.

A few games of ****e uninterested performances from players they can take the blame for but if it continues to happen over and over gain then it's the managers fault.

Surely the managers job is to get performances out of players.

If that isn't his job then what the hell is he being paid millions for.

A few games of ****e uninterested performances from players they can take the blame for but if it continues to happen over and over gain then it's the managers fault.

I'm in agreemet with you. I'm just saying that I think there is something wrong behind the scenes because it really looks to me like quite a few players don't care anymore. Wenger might well be the issue and it's his responsibility even if the problem is emanating from elsewhere in the club because it's up him to have all his players performing on the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

The problem is the board, the manager, and half the squad. Not exactly a great position to be in. Wenger should go (but probably won't) but I don't think things are going to improve all that much.

I'm in agreemet with you. I'm just saying that I think there is something wrong behind the scenes because it really looks to me like quite a few players don't care anymore. Wenger might well be the issue and it's his responsibility even if the problem is emanating from elsewhere in the club because it's up him to have all his players performing on the pitch.
    We don't know what, if anything, is wrong behind the scenes. We can speculate.
    BUT let's stick to what we do know. Facts.
    The players and manager are not performing. The effort and pride is well missing. We are a soft touch.
    For me Wenger has been under-achieving for a number of years. Two FA Cups in the last 13 years is a poor return for the amount of investment and for his 8 million wage. The heavy defeats to our main rivals over the last number of years have shown us what we need to know.
    It's not just this season and many of us have realised that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Terrible again. At least we are consistent in that. Spurs could have had 5 goals easy in the match.What more does it take to get a change? Is mid table the new future at Arsenal and be acceptable to the owners? Looks like it to me. They can buy who they like in the summer, that is the ones who could be persuaded to come to Arsenal and with Wenger still at the club, we will struggle. Hopeless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Wenger needs to go but even if he does it won't solve the mess the club is in. Everyone on the board is inept and/or disinterested in actual success on the field.

Any player with any sort of sporting ambition will steer well clear of Arsenal in the summer. The only sort of 'name' players who i can see coming are big club cast-offs looking for a payday like Turan.

The only way Kronke will be ousted i think is if the fans stop showing up for games over a long period, which is very doubtful. It's a complete **** show from top to bottom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Good post Eagle Eye. Though it's interesting to see how many people seem to think you argued that Wenger should stay, when you clearly state that you think his time at Arsenal is done!

Arghus wrote: »
    Good post Eagle Eye. Though it's interesting to see how many people seem to think you argued that Wenger should stay, when you clearly state that you think his time at Arsenal is done!

What he said was that it's only this season Wenger can be faulted for.
    It's clearly not the case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

What he said was that it's only this season Wenger can be faulted for.
    It's clearly not the case.

To me it clearly is the case. Up to this season there were various reasons (excuses?) as to why the team hasn't been more successful. The desperately poor performance of this season is the first that I lay firmly at Wenger's door

greendom wrote: »
    To me it clearly is the case. Up to this season there were various reasons (excuses?) as to why the team hasn't been more successful. The desperately poor performance of this season is the first that I lay firmly at Wenger's door

Ah heeor !!

Many have been calling for change for years and could clearly see the downwards trend.
    Even most of the posters on here could see it.
    Do you not recall the humiliating defeats and poor performances prior to this season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Ah heeor !!

Many have been calling for change for years and could clearly see the downwards trend.
    Do you not recall the humiliating defeats and poor performances prior to this season?

Do you not recall the countless debates we've had on this forum over the seasons, many that we've both been involved in !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Utd up next. I wonder will Jose go for it or will he try kill the game.

Do you not recall the countless debates we've had on this forum over the seasons, many that we've both been involved in !
    I do but thought you had forgotten.
    The year of the 6-0 at Chelsea, the 6-3 at City and the 5-1 at Liverpool was the year many said he should have gone because he was tactically naive and could no longer inspire his team to fight.

Ah heeor !!

I agree that the failings that have been on display this season have been there in some form or another for the last few years, but I still think a lot of people, myself included, were still hoping, even up to during this season, that what has turned out to be true - that Wenger is past it - wasn't totally the case.

I didn't want to write the man off in my heart of hearts, even though I knew the evidence was piling up. Up until the Everton away game this year I think a lot of Arsenal fans felt that a genuine league challenge was on. Looking back now that seems fanciful, but it's only natural to feel encouraged if the team is playing well. Most of the posters around here were optimistic at the time, fellow Arsenal fans I met offline were too: the squad was better than previous years, there was competition for places, the team was getting some results even when they weren't playing well...

• Advertisement

I do but thought you had forgotten.
    The year of the 6-0 at Chelsea, the 6-3 at City and the 5-1 at Liverpool was the year many said he should have gone because he was tactically naive and could no longer inspire his team to fight. I think it was 2013/14.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Genuine question TL, even in 13/14, did you not hold out some hope? I did purely the financial shackles were being removed after a decade... I gave him 2 years from then, but game by game, his stock was plummeting. I don't think he was helped by a board who encouraged mediocrity it seems. But he is finished and has been for years, I just wanted to believe in him again!!! Like Santa!!

Even if we got Ancellotti in, with this board, I'd say we'll win f**k all of more again. The club is rotten to the core.

emmetlego wrote: »
    Genuine question TL, even in 13/14, did you not hold out some hope? I did purely the financial shackles were being removed after a decade... I gave him 2 years from then, but game by game, his stock was plummeting. I don't think he was helped by a board who encouraged mediocrity it seems. But he is finished and has been for years, I just wanted to believe in him again!!! Like Santa!!

Even if we got Ancellotti in, with this board, I'd say we'll win f**k all of more again. The club is rotten to the core.

Like everyone else I hoped we had turned a corner.
    BUT there was no denying the poor performances when players clearly were not putting their all into the game yet still starting the next game. How often on match threads did we say " i hope Wenger gives them a good bollocking at half-time" and they came out even worse in the second half. I often asked what they did in training when they couldn't even beat the first man from a corner. Our defenders could barely get off the ground either when defending corners. We can't blame the boardroom or lack of funds for the non-motivation of the players or the tactical mess-ups of the manager.

We can blame the boardroom for accepting mediocrity though. If they really wanted success, they'd have applied a lot more pressure on Wenger.

Anyway, all this talk of something behind the scenes, trouble etc, it will be wheeled out as the reason for this seasons flop. Open wide everyone!

We can blame the boardroom for accepting mediocrity though. If they really wanted success, they'd have applied a lot more pressure on Wenger.

Anyway, all this talk of something behind the scenes, trouble etc, it will be wheeled out as the reason for this seasons flop. Open wide everyone!

It's designed purely to give Wenger a get out of jail card so that he can stay.
    It's as clear as day. He has a faithful following who can't see any further than their noses.

It's designed purely to give Wenger a get out of jail card so that he can stay.
    It's as clear as day. He has a faithful following who can't see any further than their noses.

I 'liked' your post because I agree with you, but I abhor what your saying!

• Advertisement

I 'liked' your post because I agree with you, but I abhor what your saying!

Everyone wants the best for the club but for me Wenger is not the best.
    He had his day but is well past it now. He should go gracefully but he won't, he will brazen it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

I think from a tactical point of view, he fell behind the times a long while ago. Like everyone else I had hoped that with the financial shackles off that we had turned a corner but we're ever so depressing to watch these days. On paper we have a better squad but somehow we are playing worse.
    His time has came and gone a long time ago, I would think the pro Wengers are few and far between now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

wonga77 wrote: »
    I think from a tactical point of view, he fell behind the times a long while ago. Like everyone else I had hoped that with the financial shackles off that we had turned a corner but we're ever so depressing to watch these days. On paper we have a better squad but somehow we are playing worse.
    His time has came and gone a long time ago, I would think the pro Wengers are few and far between now

The midfield doesn't function, defensively or offensively. Something you never thought you'd say about a Wenger team.

Wenger should surely be someway self motivated though at the same time. I agree that our board is poison but surely to god, Wenger having won so many trophies for Arsenal that first decade, would at least be self driven to prove to himself if anyone that he still has what it takes despite the constraints? I remember being outraged at Dunphy saying that Wenger acts like 'Basil Fawlty' after losing to Liverpool at Anfield back in 2008, but not too unlike Basil, Wenger and the team has been a continuous set of calamities

Many managers win trophies without spending barrel loads. Leicester won a title and put up a better show then we did in Europe this season. Atletico won a la liga, were in two Champions league finals and 2 semi finals (since 2014), won the Europa league in 2012. its no longer a crutch for Wenger. Fact is he has now been mediocre far longer than he has been successful

I think the malaise set in back in 2007-08. To lose out on the title that year after seemingly proving the doubters wrong and playing with such confidence was such a sickener that still hurts. I think Wenger has never been able to push a team on since then.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement