Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

Arghus wrote: »
    I think the malaise set in back in 2007-08. To lose out on the title that year after seemingly proving the doubters wrong and playing with such confidence was such a sickener that still hurts. I think Wenger has never been able to push a team on since then.

While we had arguably better talent then, the same mental weaknesses and defensive naivety existed. Remember Gallas strop on the field that subsequently split the dressing room down the middle? And yet he still remained captain.

Or Senderos ineptitude against Liverpool? I would say that the departures of the leaders such as Henry, Ljungberg, Sol Campbell, Ashley Cole, Lauren, Robert Pires, in the space of 12 months was the beginning of the malaise. I mean Ashley Cole was let off for the sake of 5k extra per week. Love him or loathe him he was one of the worlds best left backs who went on to win loads at Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

While we had arguably better talent then, the same mental weaknesses and defensive naivety existed. Remember Gallas strop on the field that subsequently split the dressing room down the middle? And yet he still remained captain.

Or Senderos ineptitude against Liverpool?

I still remember everything about that day in February 2008. I really felt genuine grief after that Birmingham game. I didn't want to fully admit it to myself, but I knew deep down that Arsenal had blown it.

That year took something out of Wenger that he's never gotten back and even though I've sometimes foolhardily believed - even until recently - that Arsenal could push on and could challenge under Wenger, it's inescapable now. There's a through line of mental fragility in the team from February 2008 until the present

I still remember everything about that day in February 2008. I really felt genuine grief after that Birmingham game. I didn't want to fully admit it to myself, but I knew deep down that Arsenal had blown it.

That year took something out of Wenger that he's never gotten back and even though I've sometimes foolhardily believed - even until recently - that Arsenal could push on and could challenge under Wenger, it's inescapable now. There's a through line of mental fragility in the team from February 2008 until the present

Even had Eduardo escaped that awful tackle on that day I think things would have unravelled eventually. Wenger got rid of all the leaders and brought in weaklings (such as Walcott and Gibbs) and trouble makers such as Gallas and Adebayor.

Ray Parlour had mentioned that he returned to train with the club around that time and that Gallas and Fabregas never spoke to each other. Your captain and your best midfielder and there is no line of communication and they are expected to go out and do the business at the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,336 ✭✭✭Mr.Micro

Utd up next. I wonder will Jose go for it or will he try kill the game.

Tbh, I don't think it matters now. Man Utd will beat us easy. They will probably win the EL anyway, regardless how it goes for them in the race off top 4.

Mr.Micro wrote: »
    Tbh, I don't think it matters now. Man Utd will beat us easy. They will probably win the EL anyway, regardless how it goes for them in the race off top 4.

And United are fairly cack at the moment thats the annoying thing. It will end in tears yet with Mourinho

The chance for Jose to absolutely heap the misery on Arsene will do the job for United. I'd say he's probably licking his lips in anticipation for this game.

The chance for Jose to absolutely heap the misery on Arsene will do the job for United. I'd say he's probably licking his lips in anticipation for this game.

And they wont even have to attack us. They will set a trap and catch us on the break time and again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Recent arsenal teams lack heart and desire and the will to win,look at the Middlesbrough players on Saturday when the penalty was given against them they were all over the ref and fighting for the team.
    A lot of recent problems seem to have stemmed when pat rice retired as assistant, he seemed to be the calm head and the players man and also when David Devin went arsene has bough a lot of duds.
    It seems like Steve bould is just keeping the bench warm and has no input in to the team and things are not right behind the scenes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,416 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Recent arsenal teams lack heart and desire and the will to win,look at the Middlesbrough players on Saturday when the penalty was given against them they were all over the ref and fighting for the team.
    A lot of recent problems seem to have stemmed when pat rice retired as assistant, he seemed to be the calm head and the players man and also when David Devin went arsene has bough a lot of duds.
    It seems like Steve bould is just keeping the bench warm and has no input in to the team and things are not right behind the scenes.

I had a spat on here with some poster (can't remember who) a few years ago when I suggested that he should be sacked. Our defence had become a shambles under his guidance then. It's even worse since.

I think the rot had set in even when Rice was still at the club in fairness.
    We have no fighters, no hard men or seemingly very few who like a battle and are up for it.

When I think back to the United game years ago and the Van Nistleroy penalty miss and think of the hard men we had then I wonder if I'm supporting the same club now.

• I had a spat on here with some poster (can't remember who) a few years ago when I suggested that he should be sacked. Our defence had become a shambles under his guidance then. It's even worse since.

I think the rot had set in even when Rice was still at the club in fairness.
    We have no fighters, no hard men or seemingly very few who like a battle and are up for it.

When I think back to the United game years ago and the Van Nistleroy penalty miss and think of the hard men we had then I wonder if I'm supporting the same club now.

I miss those games :(
    Classics

• Advertisement

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I miss those games :(
    Classics
    Yep.
    The spat in the tunnel with Keane and Vieira too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Yep.
    The spat in the tunnel with Keane and Vieira too.

Can you even imagine Vieira, Adams or Keown to name but a few posting the photo that Sanchez put up last week....!

Andip wrote: »
    Can you even imagine Vieira or Adams posting the photo that Sanchez put up last week....!

Or Ozil and Gibbs running over to take retribution on Huth.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

This is very depressing. Our club is rotten. To try cheer myself up, I just listened to the arsecast from yesterday! That just deepened the sadness!

• And United are fairly cack at the moment thats the annoying thing. It will end in tears yet with Mourinho
    Matter of opinion but there is still progression this season, mixed in with sprinkles of ****e
    Mr.Micro wrote: »

No we won't squad is paper thin at this stage
    And **** the game IMO its EL or bust

I think the Top 4 will be the four teams who occupy the places at the minute.
    United will have to win the EL Cup to qualify for the CL.
    Even if they do this they won't be strong enough to compete in the latter stages next season just like us this season and for the last 10 years plus.
    Pool and Spurs ditto. Chelsea and City will again buy big and may contend.

• I think the Top 4 will be the four teams who occupy the places at the minute.
    United will have to win the EL Cup to qualify for the CL.
    Even if they do this they won't be strong enough to compete in the latter stages next season just like us this season and for the last 10 years plus.
    Pool and Spurs ditto. Chelsea and City will again buy big and may contend.

I would add Utd to that list, will spend big regardless what happens
    Top 4 is cemented at this stage tho so agree with the first point

• Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

And they wont even have to attack us. They will set a trap and catch us on the break time and again.

We'll just give them a penalty. Job done.

emmetlego wrote: »
    This is very depressing. Our club is rotten. To try cheer myself up, I just listened to the arsecast from yesterday! That just deepened the sadness!

Ah dont say that. I've set aside some time to listen to it tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Andip wrote: »
    Can you even imagine Vieira, Adams or Keown to name but a few posting the photo that Sanchez put up last week....!

Love to see them 3 in the team now with the tattoo brigade and handbag and hair gel fellas they would think twice of pulling out of tackles and moaning when they had to run for the team and as for rolling around on the ground holding their face, the cure a kick in the arse from keown.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 291 ✭✭Bigbok

Hi guys,

Not sure if I'm allowed to post this on here so please feel free to delete mods.

Looking for two tickets to arsenal vs man united this Sunday if anyone knows where I can get tickets from if really apreaciate it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

Will never happen but what a coup it would be to get Allegri in to replace Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

no Xhaka for Sunday not a huge blow, but our midfield has been so poor this season, I can't see any of them doing a better job. Perhaps Ox?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

greendom wrote: »
    no Xhaka for Sunday not a huge blow, but our midfield has been so poor this season, I can't see any of them doing a better job. Perhaps Ox?

I think that is a blow, he's been one of our better players recently (did anyone play well against Spurs other than Cech?). Coquelin against Man Utd...bleh.

• Advertisement

Lads United +1 at 4/5 and better looks a great bet. A quick look and I think we've won 3 of the last 20 against them and something like I from the last 16 against Mourinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Anyone else feeling horrible going into United Sunday ? Even with all there injuries and Moriniho talking puff about playing a weakened team the best result I can see is us sneaking a 1-1 similar to the game earlier in the year shocking when you think how bad united are at the moment and they are still ahead of us I hope I'm wrong but not feeling optimistic at all going into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I actually think we'll have them lads. Out of form Martial up top won't be effective against three men at the back, hopefully Holding being one of them. Reckon the team will be eager to put on a performance too.

There's absolutely nothing at stake so we'll probably win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

There's absolutely nothing at stake so we'll probably win.

Our record against HIM is at stake.

I'll bite your hand off for a draw right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭Alfred Borden

Who cares? The league is over for us now. 5th or 6th wont bother me. Cup final is the next and only game to get excited about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

domrush wrote: »
    I actually think we'll have them lads. Out of form Martial up top won't be effective against three men at the back, hopefully Holding being one of them. Reckon the team will be eager to put on a performance too.

I really can't see how anyone can look at our team play and be in any way confident of a positive result.

2-0 to United I think :(

Mourinho definitely has one over Wenger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

As long as we dont get humiliated Ill be relatively satisfied.
    Jeez is that what its come to...if we dont get hammered Im happy:eek:
    I just hope all 11 on the pitch at least give it their all.

I feel the result will have no real bearing on the season, the top four is gone now, but Jose having the last laugh again over Arsene would really suck.

I feel the result will have no real bearing on the season, the top four is gone now, but Jose having the last laugh again over Arsene would really suck.

He must be really fed up laughing at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Presser released this morning sounds like Jose will rest 5 odd players. It's a nothing game in the grand scheme of things unless either city or Liverpool drop points before it. Couldn't call a result before it but I expect United to fluff at least three or four good chances.

Roy Keane is right, Arsenal are weak and no matter who plays for United on Sunday we wont be winning the game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

You did us three nil last year. I can't remember what sort of team we had out for that but iirc it was early in the season so you'd imagine a strong side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

Wenger said back in Febuary , he said said he would decide on a new contract in March or April. Yesterday said "That means I was wrong" , and "I don't want to speak about my personal case any more." .

Also , When asked by a journalist whether reports Ozil was having the driveway of his house resurfaced suggested he would be staying, the Frenchman replied: "Oh! That's a good conclusion."

Man really does annoy me these days

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/39802105

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

pudzey101 wrote: »

Also , When asked by a journalist whether reports Ozil was having the driveway of his house resurfaced suggested he would be staying, the Frenchman replied: "Oh! That's a good conclusion."

Probably so he gets a better price for the house when he puts it on the market in the next month or so :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

• Probably the least interesting Utd v Arsenal game in years on Sunday?

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Probably the least interesting Utd v Arsenal game in years on Sunday?

Only because the outcome is so pathetically predictable. Arsenal **** the bed at the sight of Mourinho, United defend and win the game 1-0 with their only shot on target.

• keano_afc wrote: »
    Only because the outcome is so pathetically predictable. Arsenal **** the bed at the sight of Mourinho, United defend and win the game 1-0 with their only shot on target.

We will be resting players, EL priority and confirmed by Jose
    I'd expect Arsenal with there strongest team out so probably favorites

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

Or, we beat them 8-1 and Wenger announces his new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Wenger's only victory over mourinho was in the community shield and this game is about as meaningful as that was, so not beyond the realms of possibility arsenal will nick this one. Not that that it would really matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

It would be nice to halt their unbeaten run and some (small) consolation to finish above them in the league but in the grand scheme of things, it really is a nothing match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

emmetlego wrote: »
    Or, we beat them 8-1 and Wenger announces his new contract.

I like your optimism. I'm putting a tenner on a Coquelin hat-trick!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

greendom wrote: »
    It would be nice to halt their unbeaten run and some (small) consolation to finish above them in the league but in the grand scheme of things, it really is a nothing match

Yeah, can't remember the last time Arsenal match meant nothing for us, I mean winning or losing means nothing for both clubs as top 4 is gone.

Still expect Arsenal to come out all guns blazing like they did last season, at least Arsenal have some hope of top 4, for Manutd it's close to 0 with fixture congestion, fixtures, injuries.

I think it's good time to break the duck for Wenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've thrown money on a 0-0 anyway, expect a goalfest now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

I've thrown money on a 0-0 anyway, expect a goalfest now.

You backed us to keep a clean sheet?

Bloody hell.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement