Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

FixitFelix wrote: »
    I see no one making anything of Herrera turning his back for the first goal, if that was Özil it would be plastered all over the papers with damning headlines

Or Walcott

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

domrush wrote: »
    I actually think we'll have them lads. Out of form Martial up top won't be effective against three men at the back, hopefully Holding being one of them. Reckon the team will be eager to put on a performance too.

;)

Monreal , Cech and Holding were excellent today. As was Ox

domrush wrote: »
    Monreal , Cech and Holding were excellent today. As was Ox

Cech was good. Ox was very good. Holding made one **** up but was great otherwise. The ones who got the praise were less so. Xhaka had his best game of the season (not saying much) and Ramsey washis usual energetic, poor self.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Sono

Can see West Ham taking points of Liverpool next match and I can definitely see Arsenal win their last 4. I am gonna say they will get 4th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

Ramsey got Man of the Match?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Cech was good. Ox was very good. Holding made one **** up but was great otherwise. The ones who got the praise were less so. Xhaka had his best game of the season (not saying much) and Ramsey washis usual energetic, poor self.

I'm usually one to criticise Ramsey but he was very good today, ox was 2 different players, **** in the 1st good in the 2nd. Xhaka stopped Herrera getting into the game, holding made one mistake (although I thought kos didn't help) but didn't let it effect him and was great.

I'm usually one to criticise Ramsey but he was very good today, ox was 2 different players, **** in the 1st good in the 2nd. Xhaka stopped Herrera getting into the game, holding made one mistake (although I thought kos didn't help) but didn't let it effect him and was great.
    You could make a massive collection of Ramsey ****ing up today.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

The Ox looks proper decent at rwb, finally showing his worth consistently

• Advertisement

• Well done lads, we were ****e but you deserve the win
    I'm honestly raging
    Enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

I see no one making anything of Herrera turning his back for the first goal, if that was Özil it would be plastered all over the papers with damning headlines

Said it myself as soon as I saw the replay. People call it a lucky goal for Arsenal, which it was, but if you turn your back and cower away from the ball like Herrera did than you deserve to concede. If that was any of our players they would deserve the criticism at that attempt at a block.

Anyway delighted with the win for what it was worth. Still an uphill battle to finish in the top 4. Just wish the club would let the fans know what the **** is happening next season. It's really counter productive not announcing it at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭emmetlego

I'll save your patience... He's staying 2 more years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Well done lads, we were ****e but you deserve the win
    I'm honestly raging
    Enjoy

At least you're honest all my utd mates claim not to care about the result as they're concentrating on the EL

• FixitFelix wrote: »
    At least you're honest all my utd mates claim not to care about the result as they're concentrating on the EL

Talking out of their hoop. Excuses I say. Correct in saying EL is priority but getting bet by Arsenal is not something we should just accept.
    Not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

We were lucky...simple as that. There was no tactical masterclass by Wenger here, we turned over a weak UTD site barely at that!

In fairness both teams were poor, and UTD as said playing a weaker side we were blessed. The 1st goal the ball could have just as easy went into the stand, the 2nd goal was sweet alright. UTD had their chances too and Rooneys chance when he got onto the poor back pass should have been a goal.

For a game we had to win we were pretty lethargic and as the pundits said it did play out like a testimonial. We had no distractions so we really should have been better.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    We were lucky...simple as that. There was no tactical masterclass by Wenger here, we turned over a weak UTD site barely at that!

In fairness both teams were poor, and UTD as said playing a weaker side we were blessed. The 1st goal the ball could have just as easy went into the stand, the 2nd goal was sweet alright. UTD had their chances too and Rooneys chance when he got onto the poor back pass should have been a goal.

For a game we had to win we were pretty lethargic and as the pundits said it did play out like a testimonial. We had no distractions so we really should have been better.....

everyone knows we have been poor this season and a change is needed, but can you not just enjoy that win for what it was? If you dont take any joy from beating utd and him then maybe a new past time is needed

Ffs! We never beat Maureen, we rarely beat united, both came together yesterday and people are still moaning? This season has been pure crap, but yesterday was a highlight, can we not just enjoy the rare moment of goodness that yesterday was without the whinging?

I'm not saying that it makes the season ok, it doesn't, but if you can't enjoy days like yesterday, then maybe sport isn't for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Great result and performance, delighted to see a bit of passion , organisation and structure in the team. 
    emmettlego put it very well above. 

This 3-4-2-1 formation seems to be suiting us at the moment. Ramsey played one of his better games, note this is the formation Wales play and Ramsey was outstanding in the Euros. 
    Its sad we are coming to the end of the season and only now are we starting to work out our first eleven. How Holding has been left unused for so long is very strange, as is how Coquelin was an ever present. And why was Holding dropped and Welbeck not started against Spurs. Xhakas shot from long range and the work rate of The OX, there were alot of untypical Wenger things done yesterday that actually worked out better for us. 
    What team will Wenger send out against Southampton mid-week, is he learning from his mistakes. At this stage I dont really care too much about Wenger or what hes goind todo, theres so many 'what ifs' about this season its just a head wrecker. 
    Im happy to see the players putting in a performance and happy to see some players in a run of form and who are expressing themselves on the pitch.  
    Im nearly done on Peps autobiography, intestering section on Cescs time at Barca, he remarks how he struggled when he first arrived at Barca, there was so much 'tactical' instruction he had to take on board that Cesc found it difficult and lost his place . Cesc admitted he wasnt used to this at Arsenal, having soo much 'tactical' instruction to take on board. Eventually he learned to play and understand the instruction. And looking at how Cesc has played for Chelsea I reckon what he learned under Pep has helped him be a better player at Chelsea and lengthened his career. 
    Suns shining, Jose has been beat, Arsenal players put in a solid performance, Im happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

I'm a happy man too by no means does it make up for the season but it's great to beat united and Jose. No point in going on about Wenger it's not in our control and tbh he has that 2 year extension signed with or without top 4 imo. Great to see Welbeck celebrating really hope the lad can stay fit next season offers us so much, Ramsey deserved m.o.t.m hopefully things pick up for him from here best thing that happened this season was Wenger moving ox to rwb wouldn't worry about City or Barca buying Bellerin anytime soon. Southampton midweek they are our bogey side but with a win here were still in with a small glimmer of getting top 4 really hope we can go out and win the cup too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

A win over United and especially over Mourinho is welcome in any circumstances. I was hoping he'd have a little whine to the press after the result and - fair play to him - he obliged. Thanks Jose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭keano_afc

Regardless of how the season has gone and the fact that the club is a massive clusterf*ck, if you cant be delighted after beating them (and especially him) than maybe supporting the Arsenal ain't for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

wawaman wrote: »
    everyone knows we have been poor this season and a change is needed, but can you not just enjoy that win for what it was? If you dont take any joy from beating utd and him then maybe a new past time is needed

Poor this season!!!

We have been poor for many a season not just this one, its this kind of reasoning that is gonna get Wenger another 2 yrs at the club. We are like a boat with only 1 oar going around in circles....one win against UTD and the blinkers are on again.

I would have taken the win if it was the FA CUP final or the likes.

I dont post up what people wanna hear to get a row of thanx along the bottom, nothing I said is bad or disrespectful to the club its all true. And its how I feel and I am entitled to post my opinion....

If that win is the highlight of the year for you, then maybe you need to get more passionate about the club and expect more from AFC?

Poor this season!!!

We have been poor for many a season not just this one, its this kind of reasoning that is gonna get Wenger another 2 yrs at the club. We are like a boat with only 1 oar going around in circles....one win against UTD and the blinkers are on again.

I dont post up what people wanna hear to get a row of thanx along the bottom, nothing I said is bad or disrespectful to the club its all true. And its how I feel and I am entitled to post my opinion....

If that win is the highlight of the year for you, then maybe you need to get more passionate about the club and expect more from AFC?

I havent read through all the posts since yesterday but I doubt anyone (except maybe Basil.....joking pal) has got the blinkers on pretending everything is ok. From my point of view, we could be in the bottom 3 with Sanogo and Kaba Diawara up front and I'd still enjoy a win over United. I seriously doubt anyone has changed their opinion on the future of the club based on yesterday.

One thing I did notice during the game was our pressing was excellent for once. Every player was pressing at once, it was a concerted effort of chasing the ball rather than just Sanchez. In fact I think I remember Sanchez gesturing to his teammates to ease up at one point in the second half if someone has the clip. It was great to see hunger to win the ball back, particularly from Ramsey, Ox and Xhaka.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭wawaman

Poor this season!!!

You must be tired with all those conclusions your jumping to

Be careful lads, apparently you can't call Mourinho 'Maureen'

Some very sensitive souls in here!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

emmetlego wrote: »

Yep, I was yellow carded for it two years ago by a Chelsea loving Mod :D (In fact my two cards have been for special names for special one.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Yep, I was yellow carded for it two years ago by a Chelsea loving Mod :D (In fact my two cards have been for special names for special one.)

I'm pretty sure if I used the special name I have for him, it'd be a straight red.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

emmetlego wrote: »

You can't even slightly alter the spelling of Chelsea either. I find it best to just ignore the pettiness of some mods who might have an agenda and too much time on their hands.

• Advertisement

God, I loved him.

Almost forgot....46 years today folks. Especially for you Tayto here is the King of Highbury

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,423 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Almost forgot....46 years today folks. Especially for you Tayto here is the King of Highbury

I watched the game in the Archway Tavern at the top of Holloway Road.
    The other goal caused a lot of discussion as to who scored it.
    I think it was credited to Eddie Kelly.
    Steve Heighway got Liverpool's goal.

Almost the 38th anniversary of this classic game (The 5 minute final) also :)

I watched the game in the Archway Tavern at the top of Holloway Road.
    The other goal caused a lot of discussion as to who scored it.
    I think it was credited to Eddie Kelly.
    Steve Heighway got Liverpool's goal.

Ive seen the highlights on VHS many many times since i was a wee lad and i enjoy it more and more every time. What a game. A guy i follow on Twitter, Al Sarpong actually tweeted the old movietone footage of the game and im amazed it finished 0-0 at full time.

https://twitter.com/albsar1970/status/683235759399251968

Good Lord,

Seems Emmetlego's been given a month off to think about his name calling.

We'll have to wait till well into June to get his thoughts on our cup final win.

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Good Lord,

We'll have to wait till well into June to get his thoughts on our cup final win.

Absolutely disgraceful if this is the case. Boards is gone to the dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,729 ✭✭✭Arne_Saknussem

Good Lord,

For calling Mourinho Maureen??

• Advertisement

For calling Mourinho Maureen??

Seems to be the case, alright.

Seems to be the case, alright.

Seems like a slight overreaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

I got a month for saying the Russian name for Chelsea...you know the one.

A month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

No wonder people leaving here in their droves...it's not like he posted it in the man u thread to annoy them ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Wrote a big diatribe there earlier. I'll just keep it simple: harsh card.

I got the same a while back. That man must read this thread and got upset. Only logical reason for banning somebody for something so ridiculously trivial.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,423 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

I got a month too recently for saying what i thought about a particular referee.
    Seems it's the done thing for calling someone a name.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭wonga77

Seems harsh alright, especially when it wasnt aimed at trolling anyone or posted in the Utd thread

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,409 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I take it you all lied about reading the charter when you applied for access then. Here's a reminder, bearing in mind that these rules have been in place for years and in the case of this one it was actually thought up by posters in the forum not the mods.....
    Policy on Abuse
    The rules on abuse apply to more than just boards users, and cover players/managers/fans/clubs/sports personalities as well. You may consider certain terms to be a bit of banter, but any nickname or phrase that is even vaguely derogatory may be considered as abuse for the purpose of the charter.

Calling a team Manure, Liverpoo, Chelski, redsh1te, bluesh1te, the Scum, the Hun, SEVCO (for the purpose of winding up Rangers fans) or any other variant is abuse.

Nicknames like whisky nose, fat Spanish waiter, Fat Sam, Fat Frank, Maureen, and similar is abuse.

Calling Andy Gray or Pat Dolan names is abuse.

This list is not intended to be exhaustive, but it is common for users to misinterpret this rule and assume that language like the above is OK. Please think carefully before posting anything like the above.

Also, emmetlego wasn't banned for that one post as that can't actually happen in the forum due to this process, of course most of you have been around long enough to know how the following works, selective memories I guess:
    Warnings and the sanctions that they receive.
    Yellow means a warning. An infraction is the same as red (or two yellows). Where yellows are discussed, a red counts for two.

1st yellow - warning
    2nd yellow - warning
    3 yellows = 2 weeks
    4 yellows = 1 month
    5 yellows = 3 months
    6th = 6 month ban and re-apply

In light of the last bunch of posts I would also remind you of this point in the first part of the charter which is a site wide rule on boards, and pretty much everyone who's posted above can count themselves lucky they've gotten away without a yellow card:
    RULE DISCUSSION: We do not tolerate discussion of moderation, moderation of posts or reportable posts in thread. If you have a problem with the forum rules, PM the mods or message the Cat Mod.

Basically, please get back to discussing Arsenal and not moderation. If you want to give out about moderation PM a mod. This will be the only warning, any more posts about moderation will result in cards and for some of you that will mean bans. Any replies to this post will be carded too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Wenger in his presser saying that there won't be a director of football appointed at the club. He even was being smart about it by asking what does a director of football mean? Said is it a guy who stands on the side of the road directing footballers across the road? :rolleyes: Also didn't give any indication about his own future. The arrogance from him in the press conference too. This situation is ridiculous at this stage.

Wenger in his presser saying that there won't be a director of football appointed at the club. He even was being smart about it by asking what does a director of football mean? Said is it a guy who stands on the side of the road directing footballers across the road? :rolleyes: Also didn't give any indication about his own future. The arrogance from him in the press conference too. This situation is ridiculous at this stage.

Rumoured to be a bit of a stand-off between Wenger and the board over the DoF position, and that this is the reason no updates on Wengers future have been given.

Can see them using it as a reason to oust Wenger in the summer.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement