Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

[font=Tofino-Book, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I'm the manager of Arsenal Football Club and as long as I'm manager of Arsenal Football Club, I will decide what happens on the technical front, that's it," he said.
    [/font]

So does this mean the old codger is taking responsibility for the performances on the field . 

I thought it was the fans fault, billy the ball boy, defensive opposition, hard tackling, and whatever else excuse he has trotted out in recent years. 
    If, as he claims, he decides what happens on the technical front then he should stop sounding like an ass by trying to blame doris the tea lady for buying Sanogo. 
    And to think many posters in eh Arsenal forum have always defended Wengers by saying the board are dictating what happens on the field and theres external influences whihc are tying his hands.
    This is NOT the comment of a man who considers anyone else has any influence to play in terms of what happens on the pitch. 
    [font=Tofino-Book, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I'm the manager of Arsenal Football Club and as long as I'm manager of Arsenal Football Club, I will decide what happens on the technical front, that's it," he said.[/font]
    Ive always thought it , Wenger thinks every win is down to him and the players were immaterial, he really believes he could have taken any 11 players and made An Invinvibles of them. Just have to look at how he has treated ex-players.  He really believes his own guff.  
    Im telling you his real colours are coming out. With the euphoria of the trophys in the first half of his reign, it was easy to msis his failings as a human being. But now that we have had years of under-performing (please dont bring up 3 FA CUPS and CL qualification anyone, we just get into me posting 10-2 by Bayern and it goes round in circles) his true personality is being revealed. Im not buying all his talk of respect his contract and honour his commitments, hows about respecting the fans ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I get the feeling Kroenke will have to choose between Gazidis and Wenger this Summer.

Gazidis all for shaking things up and appointing people to support the manager. Wenger dead against this, (he always has been to be fair).

I think Gazidis is right as a DOF appointed while Wenger is still in charge will make for a smoother handover when he does eventually go.

[font=Tofino-Book, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I'm the manager of Arsenal Football Club and as long as I'm manager of Arsenal Football Club, I will decide what happens on the technical front, that's it," he said.
    [/font]

So does this mean the old codger is taking responsibility for the performances on the field . 

I thought it was the fans fault, billy the ball boy, defensive opposition, hard tackling, and whatever else excuse he has trotted out in recent years. 
    If, as he claims, he decides what happens on the technical front then he should stop sounding like an ass by trying to blame doris the tea lady for buying Sanogo. 
    And to think many posters in eh Arsenal forum have always defended Wengers by saying the board are dictating what happens on the field and theres external influences whihc are tying his hands.
    This is NOT the comment of a man who considers anyone else has any influence to play in terms of what happens on the pitch. 
    [font=Tofino-Book, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"I'm the manager of Arsenal Football Club and as long as I'm manager of Arsenal Football Club, I will decide what happens on the technical front, that's it," he said.[/font]
    Ive always thought it , Wenger thinks every win is down to him and the players were immaterial, he really believes he could have taken any 11 players and made An Invinvibles of them. Just have to look at how he has treated ex-players.  He really believes his own guff.  
    Im telling you his real colours are coming out. With the euphoria of the trophys in the first half of his reign, it was easy to msis his failings as a human being. But now that we have had years of under-performing (please dont bring up 3 FA CUPS and CL qualification anyone, we just get into me posting 10-2 by Bayern and it goes round in circles) his true personality is being revealed. Im not buying all his talk of respect his contract and honour his commitments, hows about respecting the fans ,

It could be looked at any way. You could say that what he said is him taking responsibility for how rubbish the team is playing.

I don't know who made the arguments defending Wenger that you pointed out, but his hands were tied financially for quite some time. The teams during that period played nicer football than the team has since the financial shackles supposedly came off, though.

Wenger in his presser saying that there won't be a director of football appointed at the club. He even was being smart about it by asking what does a director of football mean? Said is it a guy who stands on the side of the road directing footballers across the road? :rolleyes: Also didn't give any indication about his own future. The arrogance from him in the press conference too. This situation is ridiculous at this stage.

Being totally honest though, this whole director of football model never really works as proved at Newcastle under Dennis Wise, Tottenham with Commolli and Arneson, Liverpool with Commolli, etc.

We probably need a football man negotiating the transfers as opposed to Dick Law, thats fair enough, but if you are hiring a DOF then it should be someone working under or alongside the manager as opposed to over him. Typically, a manager should be choosing his own director of football, but in Wenger's case he shouldnt be offered a new contract so shouldnt get this option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Flatzie_poo

Careful now! Michael Oliver is about today!

I think a DoF suits some managers - but Wenger wouldn't work well with with one. He's too set in his ways/stubborn.

One for the future structure definitely, but if they support Wenger I don't see him agreeing to one. He's all about total control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

https://streamable.com/0vb4g

Ox has been a highlight in an otherwise ****e season

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

domrush wrote: »
    https://streamable.com/0vb4g

Ox has been a highlight in an otherwise ****e season

Be interesting to see if we stick with the 3-5-1 in the future. We finally have someone in the FB/WB position who can actually cross the ball! If we could just get someone out on the left hand side who can do the same thing that'd be great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

So when do we think Wenger will announce he's staying? If we get top four is my guess. If he waits until after the cup final he could be in for some serious backlash if we lose.

Jesus it's depressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

So when do we think Wenger will announce he's staying? If we get top four is my guess. If he waits until after the cup final he could be in for some serious backlash if we lose.

Jesus it's depressing.

I honestly doubt if he'll stay given his stance on a Director of football, if its on his terms it would be a massive climb down by the board and owner and given the season we've had, I don't see him wielding that much power.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Are we on the box tonight ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Are we on the box tonight ?
    Not on UK TV anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

Jesus it's depressing.
    How dare you even ask that question, who do you think you are , you sound like one of those  'fan' things that pays for tickets and burgers and supports the club. What makes you think you have any right to know that information. 
    Monsieur Arsene Wenger does not have to answer that question. 
    Just who do you think you are asking for information on Wengers contract, you'd think you were a DoF or somethin. 
    Personally I think Wenger is going to sign a 200 year contract. 
    He will be cryogenically frozen and a special dugout built so his life chamber can be pitch side. 
    His will pre-record a bunch of team talks , one team talk for every team in Europe and all he will change is the name of the opposition in the team talk.
    He will pre-record 2 press conferences, one for a victory where he describes how brilliant he is , and one for a loss where he blames itchy underwear for Arsenals poor performance. 
    Also as he will be cryogenically frozen all his earnings will be tax free.

Jesus it's depressing.

I honestly doubt if he'll stay given his stance on a Director of football, if its on his terms it would be a massive climb down by the board and owner and given the season we've had, I don't see him wielding that much power.
    It's Gazidis vs Wenger with Kroenke the arbiter. But showdown, probably be on ppv

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Decent lineup for tonight, Southampton 11 doesn't look half bad either can see both teams scoring but hopefully we can build from the United game Sunday and get another 3 points

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,424 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Decent lineup for tonight, Southampton 11 doesn't look half bad either can see both teams scoring but hopefully we can build from the United game Sunday and get another 3 points

Our performance against United was not as good as many think. There were lots of errors and it took a big deflection to get us going.

Mustafi instead of Koscielny makes us much more vulnerable defensively. Hopefully the confidence will have grown after the win in Sunday and we'll have enough to beat them.

An absolute must win to keep top 4 chances alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,984 ✭✭✭Soups123

Is this not on the box?

Soups123 wrote: »
    Is this not on the box?
    Not in the UK or Ireland

How did Ramsey not even get that on target?! Ffs, another nice ball in from the Ox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Arsenal getting into the game more.

Arsenal getting into the game more.

Yeah first ten or so minutes we barely touched the ball. Still no shots in target so far. Scrapy enough game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Very little creativity in midfield. Ozil and Sanchez both on a poor run of form, and it shows.

Criminal that Özil wasn't first to the ball after the flick-on from Welbeck.

FFS looks like the Ox has done his hamstring

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

FFS looks like the Ox has done his hamstring

Doesn't want to make it worse before his Liverpool switch

• Advertisement

Commentator said it was a shocking tackle timed perfectly......... :confused:

Commentator said it was a shocking tackle timed perfectly......... :confused:

Looked like a great tackle...but it was a sliding tackle so should of been a red card obviously!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Poor game from us. We need to step it up. The play in the final third has left a lot to be desired. Cech playing well with the two good saves though, so it could be worse.

Pretty boring. Don't we usually wake up in the second half?

Shame about Ox. He really had been making that wing back position his own. Let's see how much competition he has with Bellerin.

• Advertisement

Sanchez looks like his strength and pace has left him. Must be burned out.

Ramsey finally looks like he's playing himself back into form and he looks like he has a better turn of pace when breaking forward, or is it just me?

He, Ozil, Sanchez and Welbeck need to work harder to get something going.

Arsenal vs Sunderland tickets are up on General Sale if anybody might be interested.

We're so sloppy today jesus

Great goal Sanchez, and i was just about to give out for you passing it to them and allowing them to break a minute earlier.

Get in you ****ing beauty! Great from the two lads, having mares otherwise

He doesnt panic.

Get the f*ck in! Foster should of done better but I'll take it.

Need a second goal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,424 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

Basil3 wrote: »
    Need a second goal

Ozil will score soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Impressed with xhaka again tonight, breaking up alot of soton play and has more control over his range of passing

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Impressed with xhaka again tonight, breaking up alot of soton play and has more control over his range of passing

Not lunging in half as much as he used to, just positioning himself to slow down any hampton break

Good man Giroud!

Giroud you beauty

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,473 ✭✭✭Roddy23

Happy days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭Ardennes1944

Great goal, terrible defending

Needed that second one, good man Giourd, just on too!

No more goals please from either side.

Not often we see Arsenal overloading teams in the box. Ramsey was calm when he needed to be.

Shame we only switched to this formation so late in the season. Not saying its perfect by any means but we're getting much more outta Xhaka, Ramsey,Ox and Monreal going forward as well being solid defensively.

• Advertisement

Coq straight on and breaking into the box, then heading out to the wing. I just don't get it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement