Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Arsenal Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 2017 *Warnings see OP-updated 09/05/17*

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,467 ✭✭✭5star02707

Yaaaaaaaay no more heart attacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,423 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

That will do.
    Now for Stoke on Sat 5.35 pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,676 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Lovely. We'll take that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Job done, keeps the possibility of a top 4 finish alive. Stoke away on Saturday and it's arguably our hardest fixture left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

All should be revealed after this weekend, both teams should take full points from the final week. Going first is probably an advantage, Liverpool should never have let Arsenal back in to this so getting a win at Stoke would put them under a lot of pressure for Sunday.

• Advertisement

All should be revealed after this weekend, both teams should take full points from the final week. Going first is probably an advantage, Liverpool should never have let Arsenal back in to this so getting a win at Stoke would put them under a lot of pressure for Sunday.
    Pool away to West Ham is not easy.
    WHU are the real party poopers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Wouldn't be surprised to see Leicester beat city either to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,925 ✭✭✭pudzey101

some great goals from our youngsters . can see these lads having bright futures :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Sono

West Ham will take something off Liverpool on Sunday, Arsenal will make top 4 lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,161 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Could well end up with 75 points in 5th, as opposed to 71 in 2nd last season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Stat|2016/17|2015/16|Diff
    Corresponding points|66|64|2
    Projected points|73|71|2
    Scored 3 or more|12|9*|3
    Won by 3 or more|6|6*|0
    Clean sheets|12|18*|-6

*over full season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Wouldn't be the first time the hammers gave us a helping hand getting into CL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

Stoke would like nothing better than to poop our party

greendom wrote: »
    Stoke would like nothing better than to poop our party

Indeed but they're no use imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,666 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

You gotta love a goal that involves two defenders being taken out of the game in a single movement.

I'd still be amazed if Arsenal finished in the top four, Liverpool and City have points on the board and Arsenal have hypotheticals, but there's still a chance.

Great win tonight. Id say we are going to make top four. Forget director of football, how about that spineless board get David Dein back even temporarily?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

Great win tonight. Id say we are going to make top four. Forget director of football, how about that spineless board get David Dein back even temporarily?

Wasn't Dein Usmanov's man?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭gitzy16v

I thought he was Kroenke's man (or at least got him in)first but then realised he'd picked the wrong side and went with Red and White Holdings Inc. after he'd left....
    I could be talking out my hole though haha...

gitzy16v wrote: »
    I thought he was Kroenke's man (or at least got him in)first but then realised he'd picked the wrong side and went with Red and White Holdings Inc. after he'd left....
    I could be talking out my hole though haha...

No i think your right. He wasnt a Kroenke man per se but I think he welcomed Kroenkes investment assuming as we all did at the time that any billionaire investing in the club is good and could help Arsenal keeps up with the big guns.
    Hicks, Gillet and Werner were also billionaires dont forget.

Initially Hill-wood 'didnt want Kroenke's sort' around the club but then got to know Stan as an unambitious parasite just like himself and warmed to him

Indeed Dein was chairman of Red and White holdings who Usmanov and the now Everton owner Moshiri were involved with.

Not sure how involved Dein is now but I would welcome him coming back into the fray. Sadly wont happen. Pity because him and Wenger might actually find common ground and work well together as they have done in the past should worst case scenario happen and Wenger decides to stay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭Colonialboy

L'prof wrote: »
    Stat|2016/17|2015/16|Diff
    Corresponding points|66|64|2
    Projected points|73|71|2
    Scored 3 or more|12|9*|3
    Won by 3 or more|6|6*|0
    Clean sheets|12|18*|-6

lost 10-2 on agg |1|0*|+1

*over full season

You forgot a few stats in your fancy chart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,042 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Nope, just trying to look at potential positives from another poor season. No point being miserable all the time

Nope, just trying to look at potential positives from another poor season. No point being miserable all the time
    I guess only a Professor could postulate that potentially
                  finishing on 73 points in 4th place , 20 points behind the winners (2017), is a positive compared to
                  finishing on 71 points in 2nd place, 10 points behind the winners (2016)
    I didnt realise 'fake news' made its way into the soccer forum.
    Even my missus who has a post-doc in Statistical Analysis from MIT wouldnt try to spin that sort of statistical positivity...

I guess only a Professor could postulate that potentially
                  finishing on 73 points in 4th place , 20 points behind the winners (2017), is a positive compared to
                  finishing on 71 points in 2nd place, 10 points behind the winners (2016)
    I didnt realise 'fake news' made its way into the soccer forum.
    Even my missus who has a post-doc in Statistical Analysis from MIT wouldnt try to spin that sort of statistical positivity...

Is everything okay, man?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭marvin80

Good win last night, half a chance at top 4.

The desire and fight by Athletico last night was unreal - I'd love to see Simeone come to Arsenal and bring that hunger with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

marvin80 wrote: »
    Good win last night, half a chance at top 4.

The desire and fight by Athletico last night was unreal - I'd love to see Simeone come to Arsenal and bring that hunger with him.
    Whilst I 100% agree with what you're saying, losing the first leg to an insurmountable lead, and then giving a fighting but overall meaningless second leg display is a real trademark of a Wenger team, and one he has been slated for on several occasions in here.

Quazzie wrote: »
    Whilst I 100% agree with what you're saying, losing the first leg to an insurmountable lead, and then giving a fighting but overall meaningless second leg display is a real trademark of a Wenger team, and one he has been slated for on several occasions in here.

The Athletico second leg was in no way meaningless. They got to 2-0 up in 25 mins and had Real on the ropes but for stupid defensive mistake before HT
    The Athletico performance was in no way Wenger like.

Wenger does not get slated for the type of performance that Athletico put in, because Wenger teams do not generally put in the type of performance Athletico put in.
    Id love if Wenger and his team went out in a CL semi-final and lost 4-2 on agg to Real Madrid in the way Athletico went about it. Those Athletico fans were proud of their team cos they see that type of performance week in week out, season in season out.

With Wenger we see a polar oppsite type of performance in how we go out in the CL.

If your looking for a CL comparison then the Monaco is the performance that was Wenger like. The Monaco performance in the 2nd leg was dissapointing as it lacked passion. AS I was watching it I thoguht it was so Arsenal like.
    They could have had Juve on the ropes, and if Monaco had played anythign like Athletico I think they might have snuck it .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭domrush

I hope to god we make a move for Lacazette this season

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

domrush wrote: »
    I hope to god we make a move for Lacazette this season
    Can see him being a major flop would much rather Morata of Madrid, he will cost atleast 40 million in this day age.

Hard know what we will do in the market this year but cant see us signing anyone to Sanchez standard hes out the door if he was to sign a new deal he would have already once its to Bayern,Juventus etc il manage as sad as it is to see him go i dont blame him.

• Advertisement

Before Wenger makes a move in the transfer market he has to figure out what his tactics are.

Wenger needs to figure out is he going to play 3 at the back or not. And if he is then he will need cover for that formation. 

Nearly finished Peps bio, whilst he kept the same training methods when he moved to Bayern (tika-taka training drills), he did chance his tactics as he recognised he had 2 wingers in Roben and Ribery and he didnt have a Messi false 9 where he could direct attacks thru the middle, so he picked up a good big front man in Lewandowski who could make use of the wingers crosses and picked up Alonso who could spread short and long passes. 
    I dont really see alot of joined up thinking in Wengers tactics. 
    He had one way of playing , and he expected all his players to fit his stratgy, rather than him recognising who he had on his books, where his gaps were and going after those players in the xfer market to fill that gap . 
    ffs its only now he is starting to toy with the formation and its giving us results. 
    I see the season tickets have gone on sale early , I suppose thats one for the people who are looking for positives from the season.

I hope you have a good microscope.
    There are very few positives from this season except what Sanchez provided in most of his games. If he leaves then we are in trouble unless we find a suitable replacement and they're few and far between.
    I'm afraid domestic Cup Finals don't do it for me unless accompanied by the league. It's always been about the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

I suppose thats one for the people who are looking for positives from the season.

Yeah just seen my membership mail the other day. New season, new hope!

Will be strange if there is no champions league games to go to.

Just a question here, I was thinking about.

Y'know the way Sanchez gets fierce stroppy with the other lads for not passing to him in good positions etc.

Do you think the rest of them, like, all of them get pissed off with so many, many moves falling apart cos Sanchez loses the ball?

I mean for all his amazingness, so many of our passing attacks - which were our main thing under Arsene - come to a shuddering halt when he runs into a defender or bundles it out of play.

It would drive me nuts if I was in a team with that kind of fella.

Ol' Donie wrote: »

Y'know the way Sanchez gets fierce stroppy with the other lads for not passing to him in good positions etc.

Do you think the rest of them, like, all of them get pissed off with so many, many moves falling apart cos Sanchez loses the ball?

I mean for all his amazingness, so many of our passing attacks - which were our main thing under Arsene - come to a shuddering halt when he runs into a defender or bundles it out of play.

Then they should look at the amount of assists and goals he has provided and compare it to theirs. He loses the ball quite a lot because he tries to create. If he just did the safe thing then he's be like them.

Then they should look at the amount of assists and goals he has provided and compare it to theirs. He loses the ball quite a lot because he tries to create. If he just did the safe thing then he's be like them.
    Sanchez is a winner. There was a good doc on him doing the rounds a few years ago.
    Born in Chile, cant imagine it being terribly well off, makes his way thru south american football, onto Italian football, and onto Barca. 
    He dragged Chile thru the 2014 WC, and helped Chile win 2 of the last 3 South American Championships.
    Its hard to believe Sanchez has been here since July 2014, nearly 3 years. I wonder does he regret his decision.

I think its Wengers job to create the team dynamic where everyone is driven to win, and supportive of team mates who demand more of them on the field.

Been a great year for football, some emerging stars, some old stars still performing, some super battles between the giants of European football, oh yeah and Arsenal are well dithering about. 
    I really hoped we would become one of the true giants of Europe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭The Red Lad

Lads can anyone tell me for the small chance we do finish 4th but United end up winning the Europa League do they take the 4th spot or can the 5 teams in the one league be in the cl

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,117 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Lads can anyone tell me for the small chance we do finish 4th but United end up winning the Europa League do they take the 4th spot or can the 5 teams in the one league be in the cl
    5 teams in the CL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Ah Thierry, once an absolute hero, then there was the handball, and now you're integrated into the awful Sky set up. Sad times.

Edit: Not a patch on Jamie Redknapp though. C*nt.

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Ah Thierry, once an absolute hero, then there was the handball, and now you're integrated into the awful Sky set up. Sad times.

Edit: Not a patch on Jamie Redknapp though. C*nt.

I don't even watch Sky, but it breaks my heart to know he's anything to do with their bullsh*t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,276 ✭✭✭batistuta9

They probably do alright, especially the defenders/cech, but they still keep passing it to him at the first opportunity though ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

batistuta9 wrote: »
    They probably do alright, especially the defenders/cech, but they still keep passing it to him at the first opportunity though ...

His ability to win a match outweighs any negatives he has, which why he's most players go to pass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,273 ✭✭✭Gizmo55

Sitting here watching Chelsea (probably) about to win the title. Doesn't get much more depressing. Well, if Spurs won it then yeah.

Gizmo55 wrote: »
    Sitting here watching Chelsea (probably) about to win the title. Doesn't get much more depressing. Well, if Spurs won it then yeah.

I'm just following the MBM on The Guardian.

As Chelsea go, this outfit is infinitely more likeable than last time they won it.

Plus, yeah, y'know. Spurs. Hehe.

Another winners medal for Cesc. Deserved for his performances all season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

Cesc just dropeed the biggest F-bomb on live TV now lol

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hyzepher

Chelsea are the perfect example of how a manager can dictate the success of the team. 1st, 10th, 1st - says it all really

Another winners medal for Cesc. Deserved for his performances all season.

It's gut wrenching.
    I'm sure even now Fabregas would have preferred to return to Arsenal over Chelsea.
    Deserves another winners medal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Hyzepher wrote: »
    Chelsea are the perfect example of how a manager can dictate the success of the team. 1st, 10th, 1st - says it all really
    Except it was the same manager when they finished 1st and 10th. I know what you mean though.

It's gut wrenching.
    I'm sure even now Fabregas would have preferred to return to Arsenal over Chelsea.
    Deserves another winners medal.

He's not good enough to make our first 11.

Hyzepher wrote: »

Conti adopted 3 at the back after 6 games .
    Wenger adopted 3 at the back with 6 games to go.

One of them wears snappy suits, jumps up and down on the sideline, has his own OPTA stats for the amount of running he does in the game (he tops the PL maangers table for distance covered per match)

The other one sits in his comfy seat , with his anorak, talking to a big bloke who
    just nods his head and says qui qui qui .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement