Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dutch Reach.

Options
  • 09-02-2017 12:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭

This is so so simple, could of saved me from being doored a couple of times...

The Dutch Reach

'Originating some 50 years ago in (no prizes for guessing where) the Netherlands, the Dutch Reach is a method of opening a car door with the hand furthest from the handle, so in the UK, the left hand of the driver, or right hand of the passenger.

This means motorists are forced to turn their body towards the door, allowing them the opportunity to look over their shoulder to see whether a cyclist - or motorcyclist - is coming.'

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,861 ✭✭✭fat bloke

Aw. Thought this was an afterhours thread. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

It makes sense.

I employ this method in shopping centre car parks. I find reaching over and using both hands give me more control over the door to stop it from hitting the car next to me. I should start using it when parallel parking.

Advertisement