Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virtual Box Ubuntu Copy and Paste Issue

Options
  • 09-02-2017 12:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

Have Virtualbox running Ubuntu 16.04.1. Can someone please, for the love of God, explain how I can copy and paste in the terminal window?

Standard Ctrl+C/V doesn't work and neither does Ctrl+Shift+C/V...

Any ideas?

Bidirectional drag and drop and shared clipboard is enabled but does not work

Cheers,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭M.T.D

Right click copy/paste usually works for me

You can use Ctrl+C form other text then use right click in the terminal window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

It only pastes what I have copied in the Virtual box and not from my Windows machine

Nope, already had that set but followed the guide again to be sure and it hasn't worked :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,029 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Have you installed Guest Editions in the Ubuntu VM?

Have you installed Guest Editions in the Ubuntu VM?

Yep, do I need to install anything else specifically?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

The guest extensions are what enables clipboard sharing between host and vm. Make sure you installed it correctly, try restart vm after.

Also note that linux shortcuts are not the same as windows necessarily (depends on program). Try right-click and select paste rather than assuming ctrl+v is the shortcut.

srsly78 wrote: »
    The guest extensions are what enables clipboard sharing between host and vm. Make sure you installed it correctly, try restart vm after.

sudo apt-get install virtualbox-guest-additions-iso

http://askubuntu.com/questions/22743/how-do-i-install-guest-additions-in-a-virtualbox-vm

Used this with no errors. Rebooted the VM and checked that bidirectional was still enables. Still not working

Copy and paste is working within the VM but not from host to the VM

Edit, yep, tried the right click but also Ctrl+V & Ctrl+Shift+V, no joy.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Try install the guest extensions from the host app, not via apt-get. Might be incompatible for some reason?

Not sure about virtual box, but with vmware there is a host option that simulates a dvd being inserted with the guest extensions.

Try devices menu -> insert guest extensions cd.

edit: linkage for you -> https://4sysops.com/archives/virtualbox-copy-and-paste-not-working/

Note the bit about restarting the host guest extensions tray app.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

Silly Q: did you enable it?

Enable what?

• Advertisement

KERSPLAT! wrote: »
    Enable what?

Shared clipboard.

From running machine: Devices->Shared Clipboard->Bidirectional

or in Settings: General->Advanced->Shared Clipboard = Bidirectional

Edit: Ignore it... sorry

Yep, have that :) Cheers though! Nothing has worked so far :/

There's nothing on it so I might just build a new one and see

What host key do you use? I have right Ctrl as the host key and paste works only with left
    Ctrl as the result.

No idea what I've done but it's working now :D Updated to Ctrl+V and it's working with that too :)

Advertisement