Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recipe for fishcakes

Options
  • 09-02-2017 1:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭

I've searched Boards for a decent fishcake recipe but couldn't find one. I've got sweet potatoes, leeks, onions, 250g seafood mix, herbs etc. Any ideas of how to make tasty fishcakes with that lot? Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Logo wrote: »
    I've searched Boards for a decent fishcake recipe but couldn't find one. I've got sweet potatoes, leeks, onions, 250g seafood mix, herbs etc. Any ideas of how to make tasty fishcakes with that lot? Thanks

No idea but google it? Sounds delicious.. ;) I would just wing it.. chop, mix, cook...

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Logo

Thanks for the reply but google just gives complicated recipes. I'm going to try boiling and mashing the spuds, frying the fish and onions and combining them - although I expect they won't be real fishcakes:( The other option will be to layer the cooked spuds over the fish & onions;)

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Love fish cakes. I'd probably do the following with your list of recipes

Make the mash with the spuds
    Chop up the onions and leeks finely
    Chop up the seafood mix finely so there are no big pieces so it cooks in the oven. (I don't bother cooking it before combining it)
    Combine together, remembering to add in seasoning and your herbs and bake in the oven.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭Logo

OREGATO wrote: »
    Love fish cakes. I'd probably do the following with your list of recipes

Make the mash with the spuds
    Chop up the onions and leeks finely
    Chop up the seafood mix finely so there are no big pieces so it cooks in the oven. (I don't bother cooking it before combining it)
    Combine together, remembering to add in seasoning and your herbs and bake in the oven.

Appreciate that OREGATO and I will definitely try it out... I love fish cakes too and normally they look & taste amazing - but I think they need eggs, stuff, spuds, other stuff, fish & maybe breadcrumbs:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I usually poach the fish first. And mash the cooked spuds aswell of course! Mix it all together with parsley and a bit of lemon juice. Leave to rest in the fridge for a while.

I bind it all with a little white sauce that is well seasoned.

Then do the three card trick. Get a little mixture, dip in flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Either cook in the oven or shallow fry.

Yummy, but sometimes it's easier to buy it ready made TBH.

Oh, if making at home, a pair of disposable latex gloves can come in handy too for the mess involved.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭surball

I usually poach the fish first. And mash the cooked spuds aswell of course! Mix it all together with parsley and a bit of lemon juice. Leave to rest in the fridge for a while.

I bind it all with a little white sauce that is well seasoned.

Then do the three card trick. Get a little mixture, dip in flour, egg and breadcrumbs. Either cook in the oven or shallow fry.

Yummy, but sometimes it's easier to buy it ready made TBH.

Oh, if making at home, a pair of disposable latex gloves can come in handy too for the mess involved.
    Agree on poaching the fish. I usually do it in milk, but you might be suggesting that anyway. Make a roux and then use the milk to make the white sauce.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

A good dollop of tartare sc is lovely mixed in to the mash and fish, even just chopped capers if you have no tartare sc. I don't bother with the breadcrumbs, I just mould them into fishcake shape and fry them each side until nice and brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭ellejay

I make Fish Cakes to use up left over potato this is what I do

Rooster potatoes, peeled and simmered gently til cooked.
    Mash thoroughly with salt, pepper, butter and a drop of milk.
    I use tinned salmon - pick out the bones and skin - flake it up and add to the pot of mashed potato.

I buy a bag each of frozen Haddock and Cod or some other white fish, make sure it's not bread crumbed or battered.

You can cook the fish from frozen by poaching it but actually nowadays I microwave it - saves a pot!
    When the fish has cooled flake it up and add to the mixture.
    Add a good squeeze of lime, not lemon.
    I add spice Garra Masala to taste, you could also add a little mild chilli powder.
    Break in an egg and mix it all thoroughly with your hands.

Shape the cakes and leave to chill on a plate in the fridge.
    If I have breadcrumbs in the freezer I'll coat the cakes with them, but really doesn't need them.

Shallow fry gently over low-med heat.

I like to server with sweet chilli dip, but garlic mayonnaise is just a s nice.

Hope that helps!

Advertisement