Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back pain after crash

Options
  • 09-02-2017 2:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭

Hi
    yesterday my car was rearended by another car at a fair amount of speed. My car isn't too bad, think theirs is worse anyway I'm claiming off their insurance and that's still in the works but as she hit the back of me it's fairly straight forward according to get insurers.

now the problem is I felt fine after being hit I was just shocked and trying to make sure my children in the back where ok as we were all flung forward a bit but the top of my back hurts a wee bit today.

now it's not very bad 3/10 and once I had gotten home yesterday and started making calls I tensed up and was shaking very hard for almost an hour until I had some sugar and tried to relax so I'm fairly sure it was the tensed up shaking that bothered my back .

I want to give my back a day or two to settle because I'm sure it will be fine and I don't want to be "that guy" claiming for all sorts . but on the offchance it doesn't improve and I have a genuine injury and have to claim an I harming my chance by waiting and seeing?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,106 ✭✭✭dar83

Your best bet is to get to a doctor now and explain what happened, whiplash and related neck/back pain can take days to come on fully (if not longer in some cases), so you're best off getting yourself checked now, more for yourself and the fact things could get worse than a 3/10, but also in the case of you potentially missing work in the future etc... and the chance of you needing to claim.

I don't think anyone has an issue with someone with a genuine claim, should it actually ever come to that, but don't let the negative thoughts of being "that person" stop you from getting it checked out for your own well being. It might just be a case of some painkillers/anti-inflammatory's for a few days and you'll be fine again.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

Thanks for that I think I'll have a long got bath tonight and if I'm not 100 perent tomoro I'll get it checked .I wasn't aware these things could take time to show up so that's good to know. I have in more than one occasion had a site back from tensing up and shaking in freezing weather so hopefully that's all it is

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Contact your own insurer and local GP.
    You and we are not experts so best ask people that have experience of these matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭Buffman

ameee wrote: »
    I want to give my back a day or two to settle because I'm sure it will be fine and I don't want to be "that guy" claiming for all sorts . but on the offchance it doesn't improve and I have a genuine injury and have to claim an I harming my chance by waiting and seeing?

Ye, I'd forget about the insurance side of it for the moment and get yourself sorted with medical attention today. Sounds like you could do with a few painkillers at the very least, so get down to the Doctor. Better to be safe than sorry in this situation.

As for insurance, don't worry about being 'that guy', genuine injuries are what insurance is for. The Personal Injuries Assessment Board is there for situations like this. The fact that the system allows 'those guys' to ignore it and take court cases and get massive payouts, is not your problem.
    Thanks for that I think I'll have a long got bath tonight and if I'm not 100 perent tomoro I'll get it checked .I wasn't aware these things could take time to show up so that's good to know. I have in more than one occasion had a site back from tensing up and shaking in freezing weather so hopefully that's all it is

TBH if I was you I wouldn't wait until tomorrow, especially if you already have existing back issues.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Hi
    yesterday my car was rearended by another car at a fair amount of speed. My car isn't too bad, think theirs is worse anyway I'm claiming off their insurance and that's still in the works but as she hit the back of me it's fairly straight forward according to get insurers.

now the problem is I felt fine after being hit I was just shocked and trying to make sure my children in the back where ok as we were all flung forward a bit but the top of my back hurts a wee bit today.

now it's not very bad 3/10 and once I had gotten home yesterday and started making calls I tensed up and was shaking very hard for almost an hour until I had some sugar and tried to relax so I'm fairly sure it was the tensed up shaking that bothered my back .

If you are genuinely hurt then there is no "that guy" from insurers, despite what some people would have you believe.

You were rear ended, if you are injured as a result of that accident then the minimum you should expect is to have your medical expenses covered as well as things like physio if you need it.

Best advice I can give as an insurance professional is to make an appointment with your gp, get assessed go from there.

Depending on what your gp says you should contact the third parties insurer, advise them you are feeling the effects of the accident and tell them you may nees additional treatment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

thanks everyone for the advice is imagine it's nothing at all just wanted to know where I stood if it was I've never been in an accident before. I'll get checked out tomoro.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭edunne2010

As someone who was in a car accident in 2008, I still suffer from back trouble, prior to the accident I had no problems. Make sure you get checked by your local GP. As you will be in pain for weeks/months. You will have some good/bad days. Now is the time to make sure. Also keep receipts etc.. You may be called by the other parties Insurance for a medical.

Hope this help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

i was in an accident in 94
    i only claimed for the damage to my vehicle and loss of earnings about e1900
    my wrist and shoulder still hurt
    if i were you id wait 6 months before claiming to see if i was ok

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Tigger wrote: »
    i was in an accident in 94
    i only claimed for the damage to my vehicle and loss of earnings about e1900
    my wrist and shoulder still hurt
    if i were you id wait 6 months before claiming to see if i was ok

I'm sure you can still claim for injury up to 12 months after an accident. Not that I ever had to claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Sam Kade wrote: »
    I'm sure you can still claim for injury up to 12 months after an accident. Not that I ever had to claim.

i think its two years, but once youve claimed you cant claim again
    i just needed money to live so i took what i was given snd assumed id heal
    loads of people were telling me to claim and get loads of money but i thought i was being Honorable but i was cully being naieve

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Rod Munch wrote: »
    If you are genuinely hurt then there is no "that guy" from insurers, despite what some people would have you believe.
    For somebody who says the vast majority of these cases are scams you're feeling particularly charitable today aren't you?
    Rod Munch wrote: »
    You were rear ended, if you are injured as a result of that accident then the minimum you should expect is to have your medical expenses covered as well as things like physio if you need it.

Would you say it was fair or unfair for somebody who to not be able to take part in their usual leisure activities either due to pain or trying not to exacerbate an injury (surely insurance companies would approve?).

A bit of compensation for the negative effects of the "at fault party's" ignorant driving wouldn't go astray surely? Or do you favour the "suffer the effects of somebody elses disregard for you in silence" approach?

Advertisement