Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent Cinemas in Dublin City

Options
  • 09-02-2017 3:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am tried of being disappointed by the tiny screen and poor seating in some cinemas it's making me think twice about going to the cinema now.

Last film I viewed was in the Oden (old UCI) in Coolock and my good it was horrendous. Tiny screen in the corner of the theater, fire exit on the same wall as the screen which had a VERY bright which ruined the movie and to top it of the seating arrangements on Dublin Bus would have been more comfortable.

Can someoneone recommend a good cinema please.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭subpar

Odeon at the Point Village

• Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

spurious wrote: »
    +1

Lighthouse is my favourite by miles. There's a small bar there, and you can bring a drink in with you (in a plastic cup) as a bonus :D

I believe the Swan in Rathmines is great these days - I was in only once back when it had literally just opened and there were shocking opening-week problems, but I'm told by regulars that it's lovely these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

Sounds good, only thing with that is you will be peeing alot :D. I will try them out going to book for tomorrow afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Lighthouse is my favourite by miles. There's a small bar there, and you can bring a drink in with you (in a plastic cup) as a bonus :D

The Lighthouse is easily my favourite cinema but I'm not sure if bringing your beer/wine in with you is a good idea. Three drunk women in the front row at Trainspotting 2, drinking and talking away and constantly leaving the cinema. One of them fell on her **** at the end much the amusement of her friends. Maybe cinemas and drinking doesn’t mix well for the Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,354 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Decuc500 wrote: »
    The Lighthouse is easily my favourite cinema but I'm not sure if bringing your beer/wine in with you is a good idea. Three drunk women in the front row at Trainspotting 2, drinking and talking away and constantly leaving the cinema. One of them fell on her **** at the end much the amusement of her friends. Maybe cinemas and drinking doesn’t mix well for the Irish.

Oh agreed! That would REALLY piss me off! Thankfully I've never had that happen.

But I tend to go there at odd times when cinemas are nearly empty, and to be able to get a glass of wine and enjoy it along with the film (plastic cup notwithstanding) is a luxury that I love!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭Decuc500

To be fair I've been going to the Lighthouse for years and that was the first drink related incident and it certainly wouldn't put me off going there! It's a Dublin treasure.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    +1

I believe the Swan in Rathmines is great these days - I was in only once back when it had literally just opened and there were shocking opening-week problems, but I'm told by regulars that it's lovely these days.

The last time I was in The Swan the houselights stayed on then after about 15 minutes the film just stopped. I went out to tell one of the staff who just looked confused when I told him the film stopped in screen <whatever>. Eventually the film restarted with the houselights still on and no sound, so I left my seat again to tell one of the staff of this issue.

This was for Trainspotting 2 the weekend before last.

The Lighthouse and The IFI are the best cinemas in Dublin. Although the big screen in the IFI is a little cramped.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,810 ✭✭✭✭jimmii

Lighthouse is superb one of the best cinemas I have been to anywhere. I use cineworld because of unlimited but for one off cinema visits hard to look past Lighthouse.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

I use Cineworld for its convenience and price (plus the IMAX screen is nice) but the Lighthouse is definitely a much nicer cinema. Chairs are comfortable and properly separated and the venue is clean. The audience is more respectful too. A much more pleasant experience.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I use the lighthouse but also bring the kids to santry as it's the cheapest in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

I love the lighthouse. Seats are good and great food as well.
    It's different to anywhere else. Vue, odeon, cine world all have the same feeling. Generic.
    The lighthouse is different. Its special. it projects the image of wanting you to care about enjoying the movie and not wanting what's inside your wallet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭newacc2015

Screen One in the Savoy is good

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭Passenger

newacc2015 wrote: »
    Screen One in the Savoy is good

Screen Two was also great until they split it into two separate screens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

Odeon in Charlestown is an okay spot, I find it superior to Blanchardstown in terms of comfort anyway.

I do also like IMC in the Omni as it can be cheaper then Odeon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Lighthouse I really like but There is something really special about the IFI at night . I love its screen one & the tiny plush 'new' cinema 3 with its 1950's style light fittings above each seat is really special. Its usually almost empty so feels like an intimate private screening for special guests.

The rest bar a full house in screen 1in the savoy are all the same generic blah.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I did vue at Liffey Valley in reclining seats...my mate fell asleep so comfortable.

Odeon pulling out of Ireland by the way

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭stevek93

amtc wrote: »
    I did vue at Liffey Valley in reclining seats...my mate fell asleep so comfortable.

Where did you hear this?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,060 ✭✭✭Sexual Chocolate

amtc wrote: »

Who's supposed to be taking over do you know ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭amtc

I know the ceo so fairly reliable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,828 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Flogged back to EE? Odeon originally operated their (Storm) cinemas for them but bought a few years ago.

Competition authority would block omniplex or IMC buying I imagine Other operators are either small (Spurlings) or show little desire to expand (Vue/cineworld)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

Passenger wrote: »
    Screen Two was also great until they split it into two separate screens.

Funny, I really like the new screen 2 in the Savoy and I hate screen one. I actually just wouldn't go to a film at all if it's in screen one.

I love the Lighthouse too though - it's just a great cinema. I don't like the new Vue at all and for me Cineworld is just a no go altogether - it's a complete kip.

Advertisement