Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canon eos 400d lens question

• 09-02-2017 3:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

I have just bought my first dslr eos 400d with 18-55mm lens, I want to get a lens that gives me better zoom but not sure what to get, I want it for wildlife and to be able to zoom in on a shot when I m unable to get close.
    Also want something not too expensive.
    Can anyone advise me what to get please and thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Canon 100-400mm? Try finding one 2nd hand. I've seen one or two for sale on Facebook Irish buy and sell group.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭vandriver

What's your budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

If the budget is low, a second hand 70-300 might be the best bet. There appears to be a good few on Adverts. Just do a little research, because the quality can vary depending on the model. The Sigma 150-600 has great reach, but at around €1000, I suspect it is a little more than you'd want to spend

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

vandriver wrote: »
    What's your budget?
    Around 150 is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

daveob007 wrote: »
    Around 150 is.

That's not much of a budget for a long lens for wildlife. :eek:

Any half decent lens is going to be around 500+. Any good lens is going to be 1000+.

Maybe you need to save more or adjust your expectations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭vandriver

Paulw wrote: »
    That's not much of a budget for a long lens for wildlife. :eek:

Any half decent lens is going to be around 500+. Any good lens is going to be 1000+.

Maybe you need to save more or adjust your expectations.
    I've answered a similar thread to this one before.I have a second hand canon 70-300 which,with a bit of patience ,can take quite good pictures(imho)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

+1 on the 70 - 300, very good lens.

If you're not willing to spend more, maybe look at the 75-300 but be warned it is a far far insuperior lens, by a long shot. It might get you started, however you will be looking to change it fairly quickly though. It gets very poor reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 983 ✭✭✭daveob007

Thanks for all the great advice , like the one on Amazon but unfortunately seller doesn't ship to Ireland. Might get a family member living in the UK to get it and forward it on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,007 ✭✭✭✭GBX

daveob007 wrote: »
    Thanks for all the great advice , like the one on Amazon but unfortunately seller doesn't ship to Ireland. Might get a family member living in the UK to get it and forward it on.

You could use parcel motel, parcel wizard etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56 ✭✭Silversun

For that budget have a look at the 75-300. Obviously not going to be anywhere as good as a lens for €1000 but you can get some good shots.
    I use that lens on a 400d sometimes and am happy with it.
    Can't go wrong for the price range and you can pick them up second hand for about 60/70 euro.

• Advertisement
Advertisement