Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much does a fire cert cost for pre 63 house in flats in Dublin?

Options
  • 09-02-2017 4:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27

hi

I'm about to buy a house divided into multiple units. This house is pre 63 and divided into 6 units.

I have a few questions I am trying to find out:

1. Does this house need fire cert for the usage as renting out?

2. How much roughly does it cost to get fire certificate for this type of house?

I would really really appreciate for any answers and responses.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,300 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

dcenrie wrote: »
    hi

I'm about to buy a house divided into multiple units. This house is pre 63 and divided into 6 units.

I have a few questions I am trying to find out:

1. Does this house need fire cert for the usage as renting out?

2. How much roughly does it cost to get fire certificate for this type of house?

I would really really appreciate for any answers and responses.

Are they bedsits or apartments?
    Do they meet the new housing standards requirements (hence why the seller is selling)

You need to call a fire consultant to get some quotes but I'd say 10k would be a ball park figure.

Is the property listed?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 dcenrie

hi Kceire,

Thank you for your quick reply.

- Are they bedsits or apartments?

there are 5 studios and 2 bed apart , all with separate toilets.

- Do they meet the new housing standards requirements (hence why the seller is selling)

it is a pre 63 house, from what I know, the new housing standards requirements doesn't apply to it?

You need to call a fire consultant to get some quotes but I'd say 10k would be a ball park figure.

Is the property listed?

- What do you mean the property listed? do you mean if it is protect structured? if this is what you mean, then yes, it it a protected structure.

hi Kceire,

Thank you for your quick reply.

- Are they bedsits or apartments?

there are 5 studios and 2 bed apart , all with separate toilets.

- Do they meet the new housing standards requirements (hence why the seller is selling)

it is a pre 63 house, from what I know, the new housing standards requirements doesn't apply to it?

Is the property listed?

- What do you mean the property listed? do you mean if it is protect structured? if this is what you mean, then yes, it it a protected structure.

Pre 63 buildings containing flats or bedsits must comply with the new housing standards. This is the main reason existing owners are selling them as the costs to upgrade and gain fire safety certs are not worth the return of investment.

If its a protected structure, then this adds another layer of certification.

I am involved in many pre 63 units that have been forced to gain planning permission to make changes to the bedsits so they comply, then the have to get a fire cert and DAC, although the DAC can be dispensated due to its protected status.

kceire wrote: »
    Pre 63 buildings containing flats or bedsits must comply with the new housing standards. This is the main reason existing owners are selling them as the costs to upgrade and gain fire safety certs are not worth the return of investment.

If its a protected structure, then this adds another layer of certification.

I am involved in many pre 63 units that have been forced to gain planning permission to make changes to the bedsits so they comply, then the have to get a fire cert and DAC, although the DAC can be dispensated due to its protected status.

Thank you .

I may misunderstand what you mean about new housing standard. This house has all kitchen appliances and separate toilet, etc. as self-contained.(like here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html)

I mean it doesn't need to apply to new building regulations. correct?

Also, you said protected structure adds another layer of certification, would it be a large number of extra cost?

thank you so much

Thank you .

I may misunderstand what you mean about new housing standard. This house has all kitchen appliances and separate toilet, etc. as self-contained.(like here: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html)

I mean it doesn't need to apply to new building regulations. correct?

Also, you said protected structure adds another layer of certification, would it be a large number of extra cost?

thank you so much

Link doesn't work.
    No, housing standards are different to building regulations. Apartment/bedsit/studio regs are different again. The Environment section of the LA can help you out here if asked.

You need to engage a good surveyor, architect or engineer to guide you as the conservation portion of these works could set you back 10k or 100k depending on the historic fabric remaining.

Ask the owner why he is selling up?

• Advertisement

link: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

The are studios and apartment. I tried call Dublin County council, not very responsive.

I sent you a private message.

link: http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/housing/renting_a_home/repairs_maintenance_and_minimum_physical_standards.html

The are studios and apartment. I tried call Dublin County council, not very responsive.

I sent you a private message.

If they can meet that criteria presently and you are not carrying out other works then you may be ok.

But you need to ask yourself, as a landlord if there's a fire, who will go to court and be fined/imprisioned.

Advertisement