Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel Atom C2xxx range bricking systems

Options
  • 09-02-2017 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭

Story from The Register, seems that Intel Atom C2xxx range of processors have a hardware issue that will result in them bricking the device.

These chips are used in routers, NAS devices, hardware firewalls and low wattage devices including servers.

This is a serious issue and needs to be looked into by anyone who owns or maintains systems with this chip.

TL:DR your Intel Atom C2xxx system will most likely die and soon

Didn't know whether to post this is Systems or Net & Comms

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Please excuse my french.

tumblr_lmsy8s5qfj1ql5h7yo1_500.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Check out the response from pfSense in regards to their hardware

https://blog.pfsense.org/?p=2297

Wow

NB: Serephucus had a board die with CPU errors that was likely a C2750 death.

So...
    Netgear: Taking them all back (outbound contact to customers
    Synology: Denies it, great thread here.
    Asrock: According to Serephucus its a case by case basis
    Cisco: If you're under warranty/service contract its a straight swap at the customers request. Older units get first dibs on stock as they're most susceptible.

Intel Document
    AVR54. System May Experience Inability to Boot or May Cease Operation
    Problem: The SoC LPC_CLKOUT0 and/or LPC_CLKOUT1 signals (Low Pin Count bus clock
    outputs) may stop functioning.
    Implication: If the LPC clock(s) stop functioning the system will no longer be able to boot.
    Workaround: A platform level change has been identified and may be implemented as a workaround
    for this erratum.
    Status: For the steppings affected, see Table 1, “Errata Summary Table” on page 9.

Part of me thinks if Intel start producing a new stepping it might be worth running P95 for 2wks straight...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Great ... My Synolgy 415+ has a C2538 in her ... <crosses fingers> ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭sphinxicus

good find! I was close to pulling the trigger on a C2750D4I server board... just saved a lot of pain down the line there. Thanks!

• Advertisement

Server dropped off the network a few days ago. BMC is fine. Not POSTing. Looks like mine was one of the casualties.

Happy fúcking easter Intel.

Advertisement