Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing a car

• 09-02-2017 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hi Guys,
    So, I recently moved to Ireland from the UK and need to register my car here.
    From the NCTS site FAQ about importing, I notice that one item I need to provide proof of is the date that I brought the car into the country. I assume they're looking for something like a ferry receipt here.
    How strict are they on needing this? And if I brought the car in more than a couple of weeks ago, are they likely to fine me even though I'm voluntarily presenting it for registration?

TIA

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

you could be missing a trick here, if you have owned the car more than 6 months you could bring it in VRT free,

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BritAbroad

Thanks, yes I was aware of that. I've actually got 2 cars - one has been owned over 6 months, the other just under.

But, I believe I still need to go through the same process with both don't I? Its just whether a fee is due or not. And even though one is fee-free, if I haven't followed the process can I still be fined?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

BritAbroad wrote: »
    Thanks, yes I was aware of that. I've actually got 2 cars - one has been owned over 6 months, the other just under.

But, I believe I still need to go through the same process with both don't I? Its just whether a fee is due or not. And even though one is fee-free, if I haven't followed the process can I still be fined?
    Is it ok to say that you were employed here on a contract basis and it's now permanent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

that's good. A ferry ticket would do it, any late fee would be a percentage of zero for the one car. I'd say it wouldn't be too much of a problem if it were a couple of weeks or so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

You still need to go through the same process but you need to apply for a VRT exemption on one car in advance.

More info here:
    http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/vrt/reliefs-exemptions.html

Just make sure you have documented proof that you owned and used the car there through proof of insurance, motor tax, MOT, etc.

Once Revenue are satisfied that you qualify for VRT exemption they will issue you an exemption letter that you bring with you to the VRT appointment. The VRT people will then process that letter and issue you an Irish registration number for the car.

The only difference with the car you bought less than 6 months ago is that when they appraise the car at the VRT appointment, they will not issue you an Irish registration number for it until you pay the owing VRT amount first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 BritAbroad

The only difference with the car you bought less than 6 months ago is that when they appraise the car at the VRT appointment, they will not issue you an Irish registration number for it until you pay the owing VRT amount first.

Thanks that's great. Do you know how strict they are on having proof of when the vehicle entered the country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

The letter of the law states that you are to apply for a VRT appointment within 7 days of the car coming into the country but I think that only applies to an Irish resident importing. Not sure how it works for someone in the process of moving over here.

They normally look for a ferry receipt as proof or sales invoice if bought in Norther Ireland. Normally they are lax on this and producing a receipt you did up yourself would do. But if you are claiming VRT exemption then Revenue might be a bit more particular around the paper work but I'm really sure to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you are moving to live in Ireland, when you apply for a VRT exemption, you must meet certain requirements as regards your vehicle and your residency both here and abroad
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/moving_to_ireland/coming_to_live_in_ireland/importing_car_into_ireland.html

Advertisement