Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a residential property that was used commercially

Options
  • 09-02-2017 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,420 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I hope someone on this forum might be able to help. Posting this on behalf of my sister.

A property is being sold as residential with potential for commercial use.
    The property was used and then converted to a commercial premises as offices, this was undertaken over 10 years ago without planning permissions.

The property is still considered residential and as such will not need a planning application to change it back to that use.

The main concerns we have are regarding the rates or other taxes due. We have asked the estate agent to confirm the situation, whether a reliable valuation has been carried out and rate are paid up-to-date.
    From our online research it does does not appear to be registered for rates with Dublin City Council.

The big question we are asking is if the vendor retained it as residential were the LPT and NPPR paid in full/up to date. If not and we go through with the purchase are we then liable to pay these?

We are also wondering if selling the property as residential is a way of mitigating any risk of commercial rates due. Once the transfer of sale has gone through are we (the new owners) then liable for these commercial rates.

Any help of insight that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,793 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

It is a valid concern for sure.

It is really something to discuss with your solicitor. An important part of his job is to ensure there are no debts overhanging the property.

Others might disagree but I do not think this is something that csn beneficislly be negotiated through the estate agent.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,691 ✭✭✭4ensic15

How old is the property? Was any planning permission ever applied for in respect of it?

Advertisement