Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in neighbourhood against rental agreement

Options
  • 09-02-2017 4:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi all,

I was wondering if I could get some sort of advice from people who maybe facing or having faced a similar situation.

Last year in march new tenants from <mod snip: nationality is irrelevant> moved in the house next door (attached house, four kids & two adults). They are accomodating a dog even-though the rental agreement clearly states "no pets" allowed in the premises. By the time they moved in I was in the middle of negotiating the rent with my landlord because I was about to face a significant hike (over 30%). So wanted to keep the ball low and don´t open an additional issue. So far I have to say I am kind of tolerated the situation as the level of barking and noise is on a very low level (in total only a few minutes per day).

Yesterday I could hear yelping and wining of another dog which does not seem the same breed which is already there. But it was ongoing and woke me up twice last night. I had a hard time getting back to sleep. I don´t wanna panic but if they really got a second dog in the house my acceptance level is going away.

I wonder how any of you guys would approach this kind of situation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Pretty much everywhere has a "no pets" rule, and pretty much everywhere it gets ignored it seems. Might be easier to invest in sound-proofing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Don't panic yet, maybe the original dog was just sick last night?

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭boardfriek

srsly78 wrote: »
    Pretty much everywhere has a "no pets" rule, and pretty much everywhere it gets ignored it seems. Might be easier to invest in sound-proofing.

Means spending money on my side in a rented premises for a situation that is caused by others violating the rules. Did I understand correctly? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TheUnderfaker

You should get a dog as well in retaliation. The joy they bring to a home is unparalleled!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

How do you know they're not allowed pets (they may have negotiated with their landlord about having a dog)?

If the dog is causing an issue, your first port of call is speaking to your neighbours.

• Advertisement

How do you know they're not allowed pets (they may have negotiated with their landlord about having a dog)

I had approached my landlord on this topic when I moved in order to make sure I don´t end up in this kind of situation. Over the years he had confirmed this numerous times. Even after them moving in.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

boardfriek wrote: »
    I had approached my landlord on this topic when I moved in order to make sure I don´t end up in this kind of situation. Over the years he had confirmed this numerous times. Even after them moving in.

So your landlord is their landlord? And after they moved in you brought up the no pets clause in relation to their rental? And the landlord confirmed they weren't allowed pets?

Did you tell the landlord they had a pet?

So your landlord is their landlord? And after they moved in you brought up the no pets clause in relation to their rental? And the landlord confirmed they weren't allowed pets?

Did you tell the landlord they had a pet?

Yes - We share the same landlord.
    No - I did not see this being my responsibility.
    Yes - Surprisingly the answer was: "In case the dog is causing a nuisance I would need to address with them" Not my job in my view. The agreement they have is with him not with me (?)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If than landlord has decided to allow it (through agreement or acquiescence) there's not much you can do.

If than landlord has decided to allow it (through agreement or acquiescence) there's not much you can do.

What makes you think he did? The text message one-liner he send to me? He could have said. In this case it´s allowed. Clear message, no uncertainty.

Agreement says, pets are only allowed with a written consent from landlord which I doubt it exists because I know he would not want pets for various reasons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Other than you complaining to the landlord, there's not much else you can do without as said - investing in soundproofing - which you said you don't want this expense.
    Has any other tenants made this known to the landlord?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

if you share a landlord and his rule is no pets, then imho, it's his responsibility to speak to his tenants on behalf of his other tenant.
    he needn't mention you by name, maybe just that someone noticed and brought it to his attention, but he can't have a rule for one and a different rule for another.
    if the noise is disturbing your peace, then i think you're entitled to be heard by him and he's obliged to address the matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Yes - We share the same landlord.
    No - I did not see this being my responsibility.
    Yes - Surprisingly the answer was: "In case the dog is causing a nuisance I would need to address with them" Not my job in my view. The agreement they have is with him not with me (?)

You're sounding a bit unreasonable don't you think? A dog that up to now has not disturbed you at all, and one night of what sounds like a small bit of whining causes you to want to get them to get rid of it, or get them turfed out?

And you need to man up, if the dog is disturbing you - and I mean properly disturbing you by barking constantly at unsocial hours - then the first port of call is to contact the owners - the dog warden will tell you that.

The landlord might well have told you what you wanted to hear as regards the rental agreement next door (which really isn't any of your business anyway). Now that you negotiated a lower rental increase maybe it's a subliminal message that he'd rather you moved out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

What makes you think he did? The text message one-liner he send to me? He could have said. In this case it´s allowed. Clear message, no uncertainty.

Agreement says, pets are only allowed with a written consent from landlord which I doubt it exists because I know he would not want pets for various reasons.

What are you asking? You've said he knows. Is the dog still there? If yes then the LL may have decided to allow it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

You're sounding a bit unreasonable don't you think? A dog that up to now has not disturbed you at all, and one night of what sounds like a small bit of whining causes you to want to get them to get rid of it, or get them turfed out?

And you need to man up, if the dog is disturbing you - and I mean properly disturbing you by barking constantly at unsocial hours - then the first port of call is to contact the owners - the dog warden will tell you that.

The landlord might well have told you what you wanted to hear as regards the rental agreement next door (which really isn't any of your business anyway). Now that you negotiated a lower rental increase maybe it's a subliminal message that he'd rather you moved out.

Totally agree, and I don't feel like you want to hear anyone else's advice OP. Excellent posters on here trying to help you out <mod snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭shel64

why don't you talk to your neighbours and say recently your sleep was disturbed by their dog? give them the chance to sort it for you, they may have had a sick dog, or maybe it wasn't their dog you heard, its clearly disturbing you so find out if something can be done , if you are still not happy but your landlord is bothered maybe moving is your only option

• Registered Users Posts: 25,960 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

It's pretty unprofessional for your landlord to have given you any details of the lease which applies to any property of your own.

Obviously you know your neighbours well enough to know their country of origin. If anything they are doing is creating an anti-social level of noise, then the first step is for you to talk to them. If that doesn't work, then you can complain to their landlord - but your complaint needs to be about the noise, not about the dog per-sec.

I'm no dog lover, but even I wouldn't go so far as to expect my LL to provide a dog-free neighbourhood for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

Have to agree with this. Hope the dog is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

I think your overreacting op, all neighbourhoods have dogs? Without sounding smart, perhaps buy a decent set of earplugs for when you are trying to sleep?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Maybe the landlord gave permission. If it's a family dog, the LL didn't want to break up a family.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,622 ✭✭✭Baby01032012

Unde the RTA rules you are entitled to peaceful enjoyment. A dog barking once a day does not fall into this. If the dog was such a nuisance it surely would wake the kids and parents would do something about it. At least you're not the home owner so you are free to move with required notice. You have no comeback on the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭Ms Doubtfire1

I fully agree with the other posters.Leave the couple alone, the dog has never disturbed you in the past...

Mod: image removed, inappropriate for this forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

Maybe it's an assistance/companion dog for a child with special needs, so the LL made a special exception.
    Could be a lot of reasons he changed his mind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

he can't have a rule for one and a different rule for another.

Why not? Maybe the other apartment isn't up to the same spec so he doesn't mind. Maybe the other tenants are friends who he knows so has different rules. Maybe he just decided for no reason whatsoever to allow pets and that is his right. There is no reason why he has to have the same rules for different properties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭i71jskz5xu42pb

I wonder how any of you guys would approach this kind of situation?

If it was bothering me that much I'd talk to my neighbours about it.

I'm not sure why that wasn't your first step.

cruizer101 wrote: »
    Why not? Maybe the other apartment isn't up to the same spec so he doesn't mind. Maybe the other tenants are friends who he knows so has different rules. Maybe he just decided for no reason whatsoever to allow pets and that is his right. There is no reason why he has to have the same rules for different properties.

Exactly. This is why it's not the landlords responsibility as the OP mistakenly thinks. My husband has a couple of properties, one of them has a fully paved back garden with no lawn, he's had no problems letting this out in the past to tenants with dogs. He'd be a bit more reluctant with the 2 others as there's lots of grass to be dug up or turned into muck in the winter.

Unless the OP moves into an apartment block that doesn't allow pets then they have no comeback. They have no right to insist that the adjoining house doesn't have a dog or the "neighbourhood" as described in the OP.

Unless the OP moves into an apartment block that doesn't allow pets then they have no comeback. They have no right to insist that the adjoining house doesn't have a dog or the "neighbourhood" as described in the OP.

If it's a gated neighbourhood then a no pets rule could be enforced same as an apartment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

Means spending money on my side in a rented premises for a situation that is caused by others violating the rules. Did I understand correctly? :confused:

And it won't work, you could spend thousands and it would maybe reduce the sound by 20 or 30%. Complain to the landlord about the dogs being next door.

If it's a gated neighbourhood then a no pets rule could be enforced same as an apartment.

In reality there are very few gated developments that would enforce a rule like this, in this country anyway. Plus you would be excluding a huge percentage of house buyers by stipulating no pets in a proper housing development.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

m'lady wrote: »
    I think your overreacting op, all neighbourhoods have dogs? Without sounding smart, perhaps buy a decent set of earplugs for when you are trying to sleep?

This is a really terrible attitude, its basically saying my dog is going to bark tough luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement