Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog in neighbourhood against rental agreement

Options
2»

Comments

In reality there are very few gated developments that would enforce a rule like this, in this country anyway. Plus you would be excluding a huge percentage of house buyers by stipulating no pets in a proper housing development.

Very doubtful, if people find the house that they want and they can afford very few will let it all fall through because they can't get a pet.

Apartments sell no problem and most have very strict no pet policies, there is no reason to suspect that those buying apartments do or don't want pets any less or more than house buyers.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

red ears wrote: »
    This is a really terrible attitude, its basically saying my dog is going to bark tough luck.

But it's a reality. What's your solution? Kill all dogs?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

This is a really terrible attitude, its basically saying my dog is going to bark tough luck.

I was trying to suggest a solution to the problem, seen as the op hasn't spoken to the neighbours in question which would be my first suggestion if it was excessive barking. People have dogs they bark, sometimes the owners may not even be at home.
    What's your suggestion, complain to the landlord that might be fully aware of the dog in question?

Tell me, what happens in situations like this if a house with dogs is owner occupied and there is a barking issue, and there's no landlord to run to?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Very doubtful, if people find the house that they want and they can afford very few will let it all fall through because they can't get a pet.

Apartments sell no problem and most have very strict no pet policies, there is no reason to suspect that those buying apartments do or don't want pets any less or more than house buyers.

In this country people buy apartments as starter homes or as investments, not for long term family life, (as a regular on this forum you should know that) and are a far easier sell with a no pets policy. Houses and homes for life are a different prospect altogether. And in general private gated developments are more exclusive and upmarket, hardly where a landlord has a couple of investment houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

m'lady wrote: »
    I was trying to suggest a solution to the problem, seen as the op hasn't spoken to the neighbours in question which would be my first suggestion if it was excessive barking. People have dogs they bark, sometimes the owners may not even be at home.
    What's your suggestion?

I would like to see very strong noise pollution laws where if a dog is demonstrated to be barking excessively then the warden should have powers to remove the dog from the person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I would like to see very strong noise pollution laws where if a dog is demonstrated to be barking excessively then the warden should have powers to remove the dog from the person.

But barking excessively is subjective. To you or the OP, a few barks a day may be too much but not bother the majority.

Don't get me wrong, excessive barking can be hell to live with, but some people can be excessive complainers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭red ears

But barking excessively is subjective. To you or the OP, a few barks a day may be too much but not bother the majority.

Don't get me wrong, excessive barking can be hell to live with, but some people can be excessive complainers.

I agree some people are over sensitive but if someone lives next door to real excessive barking as i'm sure many do its tough going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,275 ✭✭✭km991148

jaysus whether or not the person is allowed dogs isnt much to do with anyone except the tenant and the landlord.

The problem is that there may be excessive noise. If it carries on, why not have a word with your neighbour. They might not know how loud they are.

Don't go into the lease or anything else that has nothing to do with you. Just mention the problem and see if they can work with you to address it (i.e. train the dog a bit more etc).

However you live in an apartment. There will be some noise and thats the way it goes. Don't? like it - move to a detached house in the country.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭pilly

Is anyone actually read the posts, OP lives in a house!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭icjzfmq7ewon1t

And you know this how ? Are you a spokesperson for the whole house buying community.
    I for one would never move in anywhere I couldn't take my dog. On the other hand if there was a no wifes rule..... :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

m'lady wrote: »
    What's your suggestion, complain to the landlord that might be fully aware of the dog in question?

Tell me, what happens in situations like this if a house with dogs is owner occupied and there is a barking issue, and there's no landlord to run to?

You speak ie complain to the dog owers.

And/or the local dog warden.

f they refuse to stop the barking ie if it goes on then you contact the council process a formal complaint to environmental health ...

Between you and the dog owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Graces7 wrote: »
    [/B]

You speak ie complain to the dog owers.

And/or the local dog warden.

f they refuse to stop the barking ie if it goes on then you contact the council process a formal complaint to environmental health ...

Between you and the dog owner.

Actually I don't think it does. Looking this up a few weeks back it requires an application to the District Court. There doesn't seem to be any intermediate steps. I'm very happy to be corrected there as it's something I personally may have to approach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭wandererz

I've been through this before and it's hell.
    Offending owners seem to be used to the noise and can sleep through it or ignore it.

You need to keep a detailed log of the dates times and durations. Keep another column for notes/comments if necessary.

Notify the landlord by writing/email and keep a record of the date and time of notification. Request that they take action to remediate the problem.

You have a right to peaceful enjoyment of the property.

Notify the neighbour of the problem if possible and note the date and time and what was said. Record the conversation if necessary.

Some people are aggressive and it may not be possible or be difficult to approach them.
    Perhaps write them a kindly worded letter that's dated and timed. Keep a photocopy of it. It can be anonymous as well. Send it via registered post so that you have proof of it being received by them

Document everything because in this country nothing matters if you don't have written proof. Your verbal word is worth nothing when tackling something like this. Keep copies of everything.

Once you have proof of dates and times then you can approach the dog warden with something that they can use. That then begins a process.

If you are on speaking terms with other neighbours and they are experiencing the same problems then ask them to write/email the landlord as well.

If all that doesn't work then there are audio based electronic suppression devices that you can resort to.

If your lease is coming up for renewal in March again then you may want to consider looking at alternative accommodation.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 JoeyReagan

Agreements can be made with landlords, my former neighbor had a dog even when it was sad to be not allowed, but they had worked out a deal due to the size of the dog and it being in the house most of the time.

Actually I don't think it does. Looking this up a few weeks back it requires an application to the District Court. There doesn't seem to be any intermediate steps. I'm very happy to be corrected there as it's something I personally may have to approach.

district court is a last resort if mediation has failed. Costs you just over E20 by the way! Almost went there a while back but the mention of it stopped the nuisance.

There is a leaflet online by environmental health.

EPA will help too.

But try the earlier steps first; will impress the court that you did so.

Graces7 wrote: »
    district court is a last resort if mediation has failed. Costs you just over E20 by the way! Almost went there a while back but the mention of it stopped the nuisance.

There is a leaflet online by environmental health.

EPA will help too.

But try the earlier steps first; will impress the court that you did so.

Thanks a million for the heads up. TBH I'd always go the intermediate route first - including talking to the owners* - if for no other reason to avoid a day sitting in the DC in Swords waiting for them to go through the list.

*not working in our case.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,724 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

wandererz wrote:
    I've been through this before and it's hell. Offending owners seem to be used to the noise and can sleep through it or ignore it.

The OP has said himself the noise hasn't been an issue except for one single day.

His issue seems to be that the neighbour has been allowed to have a dog in the first place and his nose is out of joint over it.

Mountain out of a molehill stuff.

There should be a local dog warden for your area. It may be difficult to find out who they are but they should exist.

Eventually it can go to the District Court.

However, none of this makes a difference until you begin a process and also start to document EVERYTHING.

Begin the process by listing the date, time and duration going back a last night, last week, the week before if you can remember it.

Then approach the neighbours politely, as well as your land.
    Record and document everything.
    If you don't have a voice recorder then download an app on your phone.
    People have a way of not remembering or denying that anything happened, even though you can recite verbatim the conversation.

Record the barking of the dog as well. Even better if its time stamped in the middle of the night.

Thanks - I did look it up but it seems the Dog wardens don't look at barking - I'm pretty sure it was their website (or Fingal CC website) that gave me the link to the DC form.

Pretty sure they're owner occupiers in my case.

Thanks for the heads up on the logging side.

Incidentally in case my direct neighbor figures out who this is, you know who I'm talking about and it's not your wee puppy! :D

The dog concerned is a beautiful Black Lab but bloody hell can that think bark and howl at the same time, locked out of the front of the house some nights and early hours of the morning, poor thing.

• Advertisement

Incidentally in case my direct neighbor figures out who this is, you know who I'm talking about and it's not your wee puppy! :D

The dog concerned is a beautiful Black Lab but bloody hell can that think bark and howl at the same time, locked out of the front of the house some nights and early hours of the morning, poor thing.

Worth a call to the SPCA and/or any private animal welfare groups in your area... (as you may realise have dealt with this before..) That is cruel.

Dial Hard wrote: »
    The OP has said himself the noise hasn't been an issue except for one single day.

His issue seems to be that the neighbour has been allowed to have a dog in the first place and his nose is out of joint over it.

Mountain out of a molehill stuff.

I've been in this situation before.
    The OP may have been nice enough to ignore it for the past year thinking that it will sort itself out.

The OP may not have expressed himself very well in the original posts.
    The fact that he/she has taken to ask for advice from the general populace shows that there is a problem. One which has gone on long enough and now is growing.

No need to berate him/her or ask e.g. If the neighbour should kill the animal. There are many alternatives available such as proper/improved care, training and discipline.

My wife for example wears ear plugs. I can't.
    Being an animal lover she can sleep with a dog barking the next street over, i can't. Most times though she realises that there may be a problem with the animal or the care thereof.
    I can sleep with the air conditioner on in a room. She cannot.

Just saying to someone to "use earplugs" is not acceptable.
    Nor is "Mountain out of a molehill" without fully understanding the problem.

It may or may not take care of the OP's problem but what about if the animal is complaining because of distress?

Too many posts derogating the person experiencing the problem (and who needs alternatives or solutions) rather than providing workable alternatives or realistic next steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭76544567

I read a post the other day where someone recently let a property and had to let at the same low rent as per the new rules.
    The tenant had a dog, so he charged the normal rent plus €200 to the dog.
    Tenant was happy, landlord was happy.
    Neighbours werent I bet.
    Maybe your landlord came to such an agreement with the tenants and thats why they are now allowed a pet and there really isnt much you can do about it but move out.

But I did hear a story once where someone put a huge subwoofer outside in their garden.
    And when they were woken by the neighbours dog barking they gave it a blast of another dog barking through the speaker that woke the whole neighbourhood, and made the dogs next door go even more mental.
    All the neighbours just heard the dogs.
    By waking all the neighbours every night, even though they didnt know it was his speaker waking them, he "shared" his problem with the neighbours, thereby putting more pressure on the guy with the dog to do something about it than he alone could.
    Dont know if it worked, but a funny story all the same.

I wouldnt let a dog into a property for this very reason. I dont want people to come to me about someone elses dog.
    But I could be persuaded to take rent from a dog if it was enough :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

This thread appears to have run it's course, it's been hjjacked and derailed. Hope you got some helpful answers among all that OP

Mod

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement