Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Panniers to fit Bobike rear mounted child seat?

Options
  • 09-02-2017 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    getting sorted for the upcoming fresh weather and my commitment to cycle to and from work with a toddler to childcare (excited and apprehensive ha!)

I have an electric bike (hills both ways) and had chosen the Bobike Exclusive Maxi rear mounted seat. I wanted this mounted to the rear rack for stability and less "bounce".

However, I also need to be able to fit a pannier bag to the bike. With the leg rests on the child seat, I cant see this working?? Does anyone have any advice or experience or can recommend a bag / seat combo with excellent safety standards?

Many thanks as ever!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Plek Trum wrote: »
    Hi all,
    getting sorted for the upcoming fresh weather and my commitment to cycle to and from work with a toddler to childcare (excited and apprehensive ha!)

I have an electric bike (hills both ways) and had chosen the Bobike Exclusive Maxi rear mounted seat. I wanted this mounted to the rear rack for stability and less "bounce".

However, I also need to be able to fit a pannier bag to the bike. With the leg rests on the child seat, I cant see this working?? Does anyone have any advice or experience or can recommend a bag / seat combo with excellent safety standards?

Many thanks as ever!

Can you put the pannier rack on the front wheel?

Some bikes have the nuts for it.

You can also get racks that attach to the stem or handlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Had the same issue, there are a couple of solutions. The issue is mainly the leg supports of the seat get in the way of the pannier.

You can get a carrier extender to let you place the pannier further back, will link when I get to work. Also depending on the actual pannier mounting system you can sometimes move them around a bit pushing the bag back

Ok, https://www.bike24.com/p2132817.html that's the yoke I'm talking about, a Basil Pannier extender. I've one sitting in my garage that I no longer use if you want to try it out. Dublin 14/18 locations

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

kenmc wrote: »
    Ok, https://www.bike24.com/p2132817.html that's the yoke I'm talking about, a Basil Pannier extender. I've one sitting in my garage that I no longer use if you want to try it out. Dublin 14/18 locations

That might just be the solution, thanks so much! I'm in Kerry so thanks a mill for the offer to try it but I won't be cycling that far anytime soon ha! The link is much appreciated, I'll do my measurements and see if it works out. Thanks again ðŸ‘😉

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭rflynnr

I faced exactly this issue some years back and went the front pannier route. Worked fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

kenmc wrote: »

Just curious as to what make child seat you used this with? Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Front panniers FTW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭py

Alek wrote: »
    Front panniers FTW :)

I'm thinking that may be the way to go alright. Just need to find decent panniers that are waterproof and can hold a laptop now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

You can't go wrong with ortlieb front rollers. Bit pricey but 100% waterproof and will last ages. Their mounting system is second to none too.

py wrote: »
    Just curious as to what make child seat you used this with? Cheers.

I had a bobike city tour. Great seat, very solid with wraparound headrest

• Advertisement
Advertisement