Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Breaks issue

Options
  • 09-02-2017 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,
    I work in a store part time and would really appreciate help on an issue. When I work
    10 to 5 which is our opening hours on Saturday's my manager says I should only get a 30
    minute break unpaid and no 15 minute paid break? He said that we dont have the staff to cover 2 breaks in a day and that its not fair for me to expect these breaks but I dont understand because my friends all work in different places and they all receive 15 minutes and 30 minutes both paid although I know they dont have to be paid. I've tried looking at citizens but its confused me a bit..is 7 hours only a 30 min break?? Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What kind of shop do you work in and is it in Dublin?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

No its not in Dublin and we sell everything like garden plants, furniture for the house,
    accessories for the house like kitchen stuff etc as well as clothes and jewellery.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,574 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

My understanding is your entitled to 15 minutes after 4 hours, 30 minutes after 6 hours. No reason to believe any is paid unless the employer wants to do so.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

_Brian wrote:
    My understanding is your entitled to 15 minutes after 4 hours, 30 minutes after 6 hours. No reason to believe any is paid unless the employer wants to do so.

It's after 4 1/2 hours. They don't need to be paid. However, because the OP is working in a shop on the hours he is, he is actually entitled to an hour break between half 11 and half 2. I can't link but it's on Citizens Information.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 starfruit2510

My friend works in a bookies, 10-5, or, 2-10, staff are allowed to go to the kitchen get their tea\coffee and sandwich eat it at their desk, they have no official break when she raised the issue with other staff, she was told we have 4 other premises with 12 staff and nobody else ever complains, bookies in a small town, the place is dead quiet most of the time but they still all sit at the desks waiting for a customer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭Lockedout2

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/employment/employment_rights_and_conditions/hours_of_work/rest_periods_and_breaks.html#l1f4da

The general rule on breaks is that you are entitled to a break of 15 minutes after a 4 ½ hour work period. If you work more than 6 hours you are entitled to a break of 30 minutes, which can include the first 15-minute break. There is no entitlement to be paid during these breaks and they are not considered part of working time.

Shop employees who work more than 6 hours and whose hours of work include 11.30am–2.30pm are entitled to a one-hour consecutive break which must occur during those hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Lockedout2 wrote: »

So would you interpret this as 15 mins after 4.5 hours then another 15 or 15 minutes then 30 minutes? I need to be really clear sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

breaks wrote: »
    So would you interpret this as 15 mins after 4.5 hours then another 15 or 15 minutes then 30 minutes? I need to be really clear sorry.

The first option, another 15 minutes.

If your shift is going to be 6+ hours long, you need to be given a 30 minute break.

If your shift is going to be 4.5 -6 hours long, then you need to be given a 15 minute break.

The only question arises if the intention was 5.5 hours (so you get given 15 minutes) but then circumstances chance so you stay for 6+ hours. In that case, you might get both, because you need to be given 30 mins.

Advertisement