Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone ever done a Duathlon? Complete newbie...

Options
  • 09-02-2017 9:00pm

Howdy folks,

I've very little interest in cycling outside of the odd recreational spin here and there (ie; I enjoy cycling, and im hoping to do more and more, but don't see it ever being something I'd be competitive at).

I am in Kerry for a fortnight, and I'm using the time here to try and focus on my fitness in general (doing a jog and a cycle pretty much every day to stay fit.. well.. cycling every second day, as my ass is in bits from the saddle if i do it every day :P ).

I am headed home on the 18th, and I just, completely by chance, seen that there's a duathlon in Kerry, in a village a few minutes away from me, on the 18th. I'm thinking it'd be a great way to finish off my time here and it'd push me for the next week as something to work towards.

Thing is.. I've done a few 5k jog events, etc. and the format is always the same. Collect your number, head to the start line, finish, go home.

I've never done/seen a duathlon though, so It has me a bit confused. I have one of Halford's finest road bikes (a 'Bicycle shaped object' as it would be called in the cycling forum :P ) but I would presume this to be sufficient for such an event.

What's got me confused a lot, though, is what do you do with the bike? The duathlon is a 5k run, 15k cycle, and 2k run, so I'm assuming that the start and end are in the same place, which makes me think you have to get your bike to the 5k mark/area, then get back to the starting line? Then after you finish, you go back and get your bike again, from the finish line?

Is there generally a drop off point for the bike the day before or anything like that? I'm a little thrown by that, to be honest.

Or how does that work?

Also, in Ireland, for events like these, are helmets mandatory? I never wear one/don't own one, and most cyclists I see generally don't either, but I'm not sure if such a thing is a requirement for an 'official' event (presumably for insurance reasons). Anything I read online based on other countries (mostly American forums) mention helmets being mandatory, but not sure this would apply to the old Emerald Isle one?

(In the off chance that they are required, are bike shops ever likely to rent helmets to people? I have no idea what a helmet costs, but I'd not like to buy one as I know it'd never be used).

Sorry for the million questions! just figured I may aswell ask as much as I can while making the thread.

Tomorrow during the daytime I'll contact the event organisers, but in the meantime I figured it'd make sense to make an effort to ask on here to get a base level of info or general idea what the usual routine is, before I make a fool of myself :D

Cheers :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

Probably better to ask in the Triathlon forum to be fair

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Dowee

Firstly you're probably better off directing any further queries in the triathlon / duathlon forum. But as I've dabbled in duathlon I'll answer as best I can.

1. The event will likely have a 'base' where the start and finish lines are, in addition to a place to rack your bike. All of the runs and bike sections will be loops back to that 'base'.
    2. It's very unlikely you will have to rack your bike the day before. Show up on the morning, and rack it, details will be in the race pack or on the site. Registration may be the day before, but they usually have an option to register on the morning. Registration is to pick up your number etc, not signing up for the race, that will need to be done days / weeks in advance.
    3. Yes a helmet will be mandatory. If you don't want to spend much Lidl, Aldi etc often have inexpensive ones. You won't be allowed race without it. I've never rented a helmet but could be worth checking local bike rental places.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

A road bike /mountain bike will be fine
    Yes you will have to wear a helmet (you will have to have it clipped before touching your bike on the exit, and have the bike racked on the reentry to transition before taking it off)
    You will start both your runs close to transition
    You can just bring your bike along on the day and rack it before the race

Generally when you sign up you will get a race briefing document a few days before that will outline all of this

Oh and go for it - you won't regret it.

Cheers for the replies guys.

Had completely forgotten there was a triathlon forum. Because my query was more bike related I just had cycling forum in my head.

I appreciate the comments. I'll take a mooch and see can I sort a helmet out, but that might be the event killer for me, unfortunately. I'm not familiar with m/any places nearby. I do think there's an Aldi up the road but I'll take a mooch during the week and see how I get on.

Still good info to have learned all the same, though. Be handy for future events that may take my eye :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

What's got me confused a lot, though, is what do you do with the bike? The duathlon is a 5k run, 15k cycle, and 2k run, so I'm assuming that the start and end are in the same place, which makes me think you have to get your bike to the 5k mark/area, then get back to the starting line? Then after you finish, you go back and get your bike again, from the finish line?

Is there generally a drop off point for the bike the day before or anything like that? I'm a little thrown by that, to be honest.

Or how does that work?

start line for run will be close to your bike, either a loop or an out and back, will bring you back to your bike for the bike leg. same for bike, loop or out and back to teh same spot, rerack your bike, repeat the run, finish beside your back.

there will be no drop off the day before, no small local race is going to put on overnight security for your gear, transition will be open for an hour or two before the race for you to rack your gear

Also, in Ireland, for events like these, are helmets mandatory? I never wear one/don't own one, and most cyclists I see generally don't either,

not sure where you are cycling but 99%+ of the cyclists i see have helmets, omiitting teenagers on bikes going to the shops and old lads avoiding drink driving

not that it matters, no helmet =no race

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭Macy0161

HAlso, in Ireland, for events like these, are helmets mandatory? I never wear one/don't own one, and most cyclists I see generally don't either, but I'm not sure if such a thing is a requirement for an 'official' event (presumably for insurance reasons). Anything I read online based on other countries (mostly American forums) mention helmets being mandatory, but not sure this would apply to the old Emerald Isle one?
    They're mandatory for Triathlon Ireland events and official club spins. Same with Cycling Ireland events and official club spins. Races and group spins are actually what they're designed for (they're not rated for car/ bike impacts in reality).

It'd be real pot luck to find one in Aldi or Lidl, as a while since they've been in, but you'll pick one up in argos or halfords for small enough money. Won't be light, or well ventilated, but ventilation not really an issue this time of year.

I don't know what Halfords bike you have, but I've had a true bike shape object, and the carrera bikes are definitely a step up from those to be honest. Depends on the race, but I've been in Tri's that have people on mountain bikes, hybrids etc., so I wouldn't worry about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Are there any sportive duathlon events on during the summer in Ireland.

I know the national rounds run up to April but for a newbie looking to give one a try for fun?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

well.. cycling every second day, as my ass is in bits from the saddle if i do it every day :P )

Duathlon aside, decent pair of padded cycling shorts are in order so and maybe try a few different saddles.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

I'm thinking of taking of taking up hang gliding.
    Anybody got any advice?
    Sorry for taking this off topic.
    But it is Friday.

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Anybody got any advice?
    But it is Friday.

Take it to hang gliding forum ffs... :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Anybody got any advice?
    But it is Friday.

Dude, talking Duathlon here so you need to start on the bike...

I hope the bike was OK

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Are there any sportive duathlon events

What is a sportive duathlon???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,123 ✭✭✭daragh_

Combining running and cycling is only acceptable if there is a lot of mud involved. Best done surrounded by drunk Belgians.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

OP, i'd ask the mods here to move this over to the tri forum. the folks here tend to get a bit dizzy if they try to think about more than 1 sport at a time. needs a bit more bloodflow than the limited fitness 1 sport can provide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

The science is unambiguous. Multitasking fries your brain.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2351978915006812

Symptoms include wearing GAA socks, man bras and falling off your bike randomly.

If symptoms persist, revert back to one sport ( cycling ) and HTFU.

Edit: Running is allowed when chasing a bike thief.

OleRodrigo wrote: »
    The science is unambiguous. Multitasking fries your brain.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2351978915006812

Symptoms include wearing GAA socks, man bras and falling off your bike randomly.

If symptoms persist, revert back to one sport ( cycling ) and HTFU.

Edit: Running is allowed when chasing a bike thief.

My Grandmother used say that she could do three things at the one time:
    Whistle and fart, and drive a cart!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭OleRodrigo

My Grandmother used say that she could do three things at the one time:
    Whistle and fart, and drive a cart!

They don't make 'em like they used to..;)

EC1000 wrote: »
    What is a sportive duathlon???

It's a term someone with little knowledge and who has never done a duathlon would use. I'm trying to describe an amateur easy going race similar to cycling sportive races but in a duathlon format.

Do you need me to eloborate any further "???"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

It's a term someone with little knowledge and who has never done a duathlon would use. I'm trying to describe an amateur easy going race similar to cycling sportive races but in a duathlon format.

Do you need me to eloborate any further "???"

A duathlon is a race. It is a competitive event. No such thing as a 'sportive duathlon.' In fact, sportive is a much abused term in irish cycling circles, but anyway, I digress.
    A duathlon? I've done a few. You pays yer money and you takes your chances. You go as fast as you can; run, cycle, run, finish. It's actually not much more complicated than that in my opinion.

Stop worrying about other people- just do the bloody thing and enjoy it regardless of what 'others' think, especially anonymous folk on d'internet'

Nearly every duathlon event has a website/Facebook page with a FAQ section and entry details.
    If you are waiting for the great unwashed horde from boards.ie to give you the thumbs up and the go-ahead, then you might be waiting.
    I wish you well however; just do it. That's my only advice.

• Advertisement

JK.BMC wrote: »
    A duathlon is a race. It is a competitive event. No such thing as a 'sportive duathlon.' In fact, sportive is a much abused term in irish cycling circles, but anyway, I digress.
    A duathlon? I've done a few. You pays yer money and you takes your chances. You go as fast as you can; run, cycle, run, finish. It's actually not much more complicated than that in my opinion.

Stop worrying about other people- just do the bloody thing and enjoy it regardless of what 'others' think, especially anonymous folk on d'internet'

Nearly every duathlon event has a website/Facebook page with a FAQ section and entry details.
    If you are waiting for the great unwashed horde from boards.ie to give you the thumbs up and the go-ahead, then you might be waiting.
    I wish you well however; just do it. That's my only advice.

Perfect response, exactly what I was after.

I don't need any motivation to race having raced Enduro MTB races for a few years now. I just wanted to know if there were "beginner" style races or do I just dive in on a national race and let fly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

Good well organised series of duathlons held in Donadea forest in Kildare over the summer. All levels take part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭JK.BMC

siochain wrote: »
    Good well organised series of duathlons held in Donadea forest in Kildare over the summer. All levels take part.

Yes I would also recommend them. A good day out on a flat and safe course; a place for everybody there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Perfect response, exactly what I was after.

I don't need any motivation to race having raced Enduro MTB races for a few years now. I just wanted to know if there were "beginner" style races or do I just dive in on a national race and let fly.

Check out the Triathlon Ireland website - a full list of all duathlons on there. Most are in Spring time as triathlons tend to take over from there for the summer months. Best of luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 357 ✭✭loudymacloud

siochain wrote: »

I would also recommend them too, did the series last year as an absolute beginner, all levels catered for.

they put on some serious amount of food afterwards :)

Advertisement