Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Losing Weight Feedback

• 09-02-2017 9:12pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

Hopefully this is right place to do this but basically just wondering am I doing this right whilst trying to lose weight. I'm exercising a lot and with Christmas food finally gone, have finally managed to stop eating a load of crap.

Today, this is what I've had

Breakfast - 2 Weetabix in full fat milk, cup of orange juice
    Mid - Morning - 1 Red Apple, about 250g of grapes (half a Tesco carton)
    Lunch - Wholewheat wrap with Chicken Tikka - nothing else in this, just wrap and the chicken
    Pre-dinner snack - half a grapefruit,1 square of dark chocolate
    Dinner - Chicken fillet cooked in spices, and homemade oven cooked chips done in olive oil
    Later evening snack - 1 square of dark chocolate

I'll drink about 3 litres of water as drinks at these meals. That is generally what I'd eat 7 days a week, with generally just the chicken cooked in different spices, or some days homemade wedges (basically just bigger chips done in spices, cooked same way using same amount of potato). Weekends I generally don't have the wrap with chicken tikka either, and usually just have a second apple.

Just looking for someone with more knowledge than me to let me know if that diet would be ok to lose weight. I'm exercising about 2 hours a day (low intensity cardio every 2nd day, and moderate to heavy on the other, and weight training different body parts every day).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Plug all of that into the myfitnesspal app (download it if you haven't already) and see how many calories it all adds up to. This is why specific quantities is vital as saying chicken, chips, half a grapefruit etc. doesn't mean much if you don't know exactly how many grams of each you've consumed. Buy a small food scales that you can use to weigh out what you eat.

You then need to work out your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) which is basically the amount of calories you would take in each day to remain at your current weight. Knock 300-500cals off this and eat at that calorie amount for a few weeks. Google "Scooby's Workshop Calorie Calculator" and plug in your details.

The exercise is good, keep that up but ultimately it'll come down to your diet if you're looking to lose weight. You're obviously making an effort to eat well and cut out the junk but just bear in mind this doesn't guarantee weight loss. Weight loss will only happen when you're taking in less calories than your body needs. Weighing out your food and logging everything you eat (don't forget drinks apart from water/tea have calories too) makes it easier to stay in a calorie deficit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Weight loss is very much subjective, someone 50lbs overweight will lose weight much faster than someone 5lbs overweight will on the very same diet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Weight loss is very much subjective, someone 50lbs overweight will lose weight much faster than someone 5lbs overweight will on the very same diet.

Ya, I'm 240 pounds so a decent bit overweight, so hopefully in the much faster spectrum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

What vegetables do you eat?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

panda100 wrote: »
    What vegetables do you eat?

If chips count, potato :) Other than that none. Eat a lot of fruit, vegetables aren't appealing though even though I know I should.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Plug what you eat into MyFitnessPal. You might need to get a digital kitchen scales but they're reasonably cheap so it's not an issue. Then you can measure the calorie value of everything you eat and drink. If you don't measure it you can't manage it.

It isn't necessarily a long-term strategy but use it as an educational tool to inform you of what is in what you're eating and to figure out the caloric value of different serving sizes so that after a couple of weeks you'll have a good idea of the calorie value of a serving size by looking at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,843 ✭✭✭SarahMollie

The things that stand out to me are the full fat milk and the olive oil. These are both easy ways to consume more calories that intended, so if you're using MyFitnessPal or similar, make sure to measure what you actually use, especially the oil, and track that - otherwise you won't get an accurate picture of your calorie intake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭Birdie086

I second Alf, get a scales, although mine isn't digital. I picked it up in Tesco for a few euro.

I used it religiously for a few weeks. It was a revelation for portion control, especially if cooking rice or pasta. It doesn't take up much space on the kitchen counter and I only use it how about once or twice a week to double check things or if cooking something new.

I would urge to try and find some veg that you like. They are as great low calorie filler, plus fibre and vitamins.

I also love to cook with turkey mince. One of my favourite dishes is turkey chilli on a bed of broccoli. When buying the groceries I split the veg between fresh and frozen that way we are not throwing out stuff at the end of the week and frozen broccoli/cauliflower is just too easy to prep.

Well done on the exercise, keep up the good work.

Advertisement