Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on getting a PPL

Options
  • 09-02-2017 9:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

Aviation has been a passion of mine for a long time, and I've finally committed to getting a PPL. I'm colour blind so I knew I could never go commercial, but I was able to get my class 2 medical certificate with only the restriction that I can't fly at night because of it, which makes sense (nav lights, other aircraft directions of flight). Anyhow, I want to find out:
    • Do I need to get a student license before continuing building hours?
    • Is there a way to find other pilots that fly for fun to build up experience in the cockpit and split fuel costs? Join an aviation club, perhaps?
    • Is it still a practical idea to do training in the States? It's cheaper per hour to fly there but with livings costs is it still a good option?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

When you are going after your PPL, you are not building hours - you train! There is a syllabus full of maneuvers you need to cover with a certified instructor before you can do your solo, navigation exercises and ultimately - the skills test.

Bumbling around with other pilots who are not FI's will be of very little benefit to you. It helps if you are stuck in your progress and just need to clear your head. However, if you are only just starting off, you will only pick up poor habits. I strongly suggest enrolling into a flight school (club) and doing things properly from day 1.

If you are going after your full PPL, you no longer need a student licence. I think you only need it if you do microlight training. (btw If you know you are only stuck with private flying, microlights is something I strongly suggest you look into)

If you do your training in a club environment, you will have ample opportunities to ride a long, you just have to ask. A proper club with a proper management will set you up with someone. But you only need to think about it post ppl or if you are having troubles during your PPL training. Definitely not now.

If you are not going to go commercial, I always suggest to train where you will do most of your flying at. Folks arriving from states with their freshly mint licences with just 50 hours on them spent in a glorious Florida/Arizona sunshine is bad news. Irish climate needs some adjusting and I know one or two people who lost all their confidence in day 1 after returning and quit flying all together. Price gap these days isn't even that big to be worth it to be honest

Advertisement