Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Which is the correct lane?

• 09-02-2017 9:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all,

On these roads, which is the correct lane to drive in?

https://goo.gl/maps/hMvtYXtAStD2

You can see both have arrows directing traffic straight, but the left also has an arrow for traffic turning left.

My guess is that the right lane is the correct one to drive in, but I'd like to be sure!

Also on this road: https://goo.gl/maps/UL8t6Un18FC2

There are no arrows indicating which lane to enter. If I am going straight on this road, should I be in the left or the right lane?

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

In the first one it's both! Cars that are in the right lane would be travelling straight, as those in the left will be turning left further down the junction. You'll also notice that the left lane merges in to the right (to one lane) after then.

The second is a little tougher. I think the rule of thumb is to stay left if you are going to turn left or go straight ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 HiThereHowAreY

me_irl wrote: »
    In the first one it's both! Cars that are in the right lane would be travelling straight, as those in the left will be turning left further down the junction. You'll also notice that the left lane merges in to the right (to one lane) after then.

The second is a little tougher. I think the rule of thumb is to stay left if you are going to turn left or go straight ahead.

Thanks for the answer!

Follow up, since I can use either lane in the first one, do I have to give way to traffic that is in the right lane or would they have to give way to me when merging?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

First one, you can drive in both but as always I'd recommend you keep left unless overtaking. Cars in front of you turning left will be out of your way much quicker than cars turning right.

Second one, I'm not really sure what we're looking at tbh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Thanks for the answer!

Follow up, since I can use either lane in the first one, do I have to give way to traffic that is in the right lane or would they have to give way to me when merging?

You should always give way to traffic overtaking you from the right, but when merging give yourself enough time to mirror, indicate, manoeuvre.

You'll be able to gauge cars that are coming up too fast on your right to pass you, but once you have enough room you can move over. It'll make more sense the more you drive in these junctions.

This is a little far fetched, but I'd recommend maybe observing traffic flow at it first to see what other drivers do.

Found this video which might help. It's from New Zealand, but the drive on the same side as we do!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

The general rule is to keep left.
    On the Dublin Rd on the first example I generally keep in the left lane and make sure I'm aware of who is to my right. From a legal standpoint, when two lanes are narrowing down to one the car which is ahead of the other has right of way but you should always proceed with caution and be aware of the cars around you.

On the 2nd link on Trinity St there are no clearly defined two lanes although "local rules" would generally have 2 cars side by side at the lights. If heading straight across the junction onto Narrow West St use the left side and use the right side to turn right into the bridge of peace.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,027 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

From a legal standpoint, when two lanes are narrowing down to one the car which is ahead of the other has right of way but you should always proceed with caution and be aware of the cars around you....
    In the first picture, IIRC the left lane must merge into the right lane (just after the convent). From a legal standpoint, I presume this would give drivers on the right lane right of way? (leaving aside the responsibility of everyone to take care).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,924 ✭✭✭MascotDec85

In the first picture, IIRC the left lane must merge into the right lane (just after the convent). From a legal standpoint, I presume this would give drivers on the right lane right of way? (leaving aside the responsibility of everyone to take care).

It's what you call a "merge in turn" and should be used as I described above.

Advertisement