Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Changes to Kilkenny/Waterford county boundaries

Options
  • 09-02-2017 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭

The land and people are in Kilkenny. Waterford can go to hell before they can take over a square inch. Any political party that supports this land grab will sign its own death warrant in Kilkenny. How would Waterford like if their land was taken.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

blackcard wrote: »
    The land and people are in Kilkenny. Waterford can go to hell before they can take over a square inch. Any political party that supports this land grab will sign its own death warrant in Kilkenny. How would Waterford like if their land was taken.
    Could you expand on your point or provide a link to what you are taking about please?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,968 ✭✭✭blackcard

Stheno wrote: »
    Could you expand on your point or provide a link to what you are taking about please?

This is in relation to over 5000 people now in Kilkenny being told that they will be in Waterford if the report of the Boundary Commission is adopted.A large tract of land is to be transferred.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

This is in relation to over 5000 people now in Kilkenny being told that they will be in Waterford if the report of the Boundary Commission is adopted.A large tract of land is to be transferred.

Hmm I'm not sure it belongs here, probably better in the Kilkenny forum, so I'm going to move it there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

May I ask why anyone would care?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,310 ✭✭✭Technoprisoner

Ahh we are going back to the days of plantations .... damn those Brits

• Advertisement

McGaggs wrote: »

Have you ever been at an inter county gaa game. You will see people that care.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,414 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Have you ever been at an inter county gaa game. You will see people that care.

GAA is only a very tiny part of it. For me, county is integral to Irish identity and an attempt to weaken and undermine in this sneaky, petty manner is grossly insulting.
    We aren't going to take this lying down.

So you wouldn't care if your neighbour decided he was going to take over some of your property?

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭BabyWillis

But no one is taking your property, your address just changes from kilkenny to waterford.

BabyWillis wrote: »
    But no one is taking your property, your address just changes from kilkenny to waterford.

So you wouldn't mind being English as long as you held onto your property?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭BabyWillis

I'm part of the Carlow laois review and to be honest it would make sense for graiguecullen to be part of Carlow. No big deal really.

BabyWillis wrote: »
    I'm part of the Carlow laois review and to be honest it would make sense for graiguecullen to be part of Carlow. No big deal really.

It is a big deal. There were over 19000 submissions to the Boundary Commission. Only 29 of these were in favour of moving the boundary. The Commission acknowledged that the vast majority of affected people did not want change and that their county identity was the most important issue. Maybe Carlow and Laois people are different and don't mind what county they belong to

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

blackcard wrote:
    So you wouldn't mind being English as long as you held onto your property?

Are you living in the area that's proposed to be rezoned?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It is a big deal. There were over 19000 submissions to the Boundary Commission. Only 29 of these were in favour of moving the boundary. The Commission acknowledged that the vast majority of affected people did not want change and that their county identity was the most important issue. Maybe Carlow and Laois people are different and don't mind what county they belong to

And most of them were if we apply some logic from well up the county and for whom this change (should is happen) would have no practical effect at all.

When you look at the recommendation you'll see that it involves people who are already in Waterford to work, get educated, be entertained, looked after (or of Waterford by birth and who moved across) or do the sick of that 3 KMs between Ferrybank and Slieverue get rushed to Kilkenny General?

And most of them were if we apply some logic from well up the county and for whom this change (should is happen) would have no practical effect at all.

When you look at the recommendation you'll see that it involves people who are already in Waterford to work, get educated, be entertained, looked after (or of Waterford by birth and who moved across) or do the sick of that 3 KMs between Ferrybank and Slieverue get rushed to Kilkenny General?

The majority of people in the area want it to remain in County Kilkenny. The argument about hospitals is pathetic. Loads of people living near borders go to hospitals in another county. That doesn' t mean that they should transfer to that county.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,762 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

I'm sure any people from Kilkenny who are offended enough are going to vote with their feet and relinquish their employment in Waterford.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

I can understand that people on both sides of the border would be annoyed. TDs and Councillors will be getting seriously strong representations from constituents. If you have grown up all your life a Kilkenny person or a person from any other county and one day, you are told you are a person of a different county. Its a whole identity issue, irrespective of GAA and elections.

Keep Kilkenny whole. I support the resistance!

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    I'm sure any people from Kilkenny who are offended enough are going to vote with their feet and relinquish their employment in Waterford.

People from the affected areas can buy a house in Waterford if they want to. Because people from Meath and Kildare work in Dublin, can Dublin take over part of these counties?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Mulbert

Are you saying 19000 different people wrote a submission to the boundary commission about this? I don't think so! That's taking for granted that there are 19000 literate people in County Kilkenny.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

OK lets keep it civil please, less of the generalisations & slurs. Stick to the topic at hand

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

So you wouldn't care if your neighbour decided he was going to take over some of your property?

Isn't it more a case of your neighbour telling you your house is no longer number 5, it's now number 8?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

As someone who is from the affected area, I'm worried about this. However, I don't think that this is gong to happen. FF have already said that they'll vote against it in the Dail and it needs a Dail vote to be passed. I just don't see a controversial bill like this even being put before the Dail given the current arithmetic in Leinster House, let alone passing.

That said, we shouldn't ignore the threat. I appreciate that there may be some Kilkenny people who feel, who cares, isn't that whole area more or less Waterford anyway? A big problem for Kilkenny, however, is that if the commission's proposal goes ahead, Kilkenny will lose a large chunk of commercial rates revenue(mainly from the port which is included within the area to be transferred). So that will mean either reduced services for Kilkenny in the future or higher local taxes. The move is nothing more than an attempt by Waterford to take over the cash cow that is Belview port. No Kilkenny person should take this lying down.

We've had one or two people here saying what difference does it make. Where you're from matters to most of us. If you meet a stranger, it's one of the first questions that you're asked - where are you from? For most of us, it's part of our identity and I don't like that being taken away at the stroke of a bureaucrats pen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

As someone who is from the affected area, I'm worried about this. However, I don't think that this is gong to happen. FF have already said that they'll vote against it in the Dail and it needs a Dail vote to be passed. I just don't see a controversial bill like this even being put before the Dail given the current arithmetic in Leinster House, let alone passing.

That said, we shouldn't ignore the threat. I appreciate that there may be some Kilkenny people who feel, who cares, isn't that whole area more or less Waterford anyway? A big problem for Kilkenny, however, is that if the commission's proposal goes ahead, Kilkenny will lose a large chunk of commercial rates revenue(mainly from the port which is included within the area to be transferred). So that will mean either reduced services for Kilkenny in the future or higher local taxes. The move is nothing more than an attempt by Waterford to take over the cash cow that is Belview port. No Kilkenny person should take this lying down.

We've had one or two people here saying what difference does it make. Where you're from matters to most of us. If you meet a stranger, it's one of the first questions that you're asked - where are you from? For most of us, it's part of our identity and I don't like that being taken away at the stroke of a bureaucrats pen.

If you are in the affected area why would you care about revenues going to kilkenny since you will be in Waterford?

Isn't it more a case of your neighbour telling you your house is no longer number 5, it's now number 8?
    No it's not, and I assume that you're having a laugh. Or else you really don't understand Ireland very well.

If you are in the affected area why would you care about revenues going to kilkenny since you will be in Waterford?
    My biggest issue with it is that I don't want my area to be transferred to Waterford. Some in Kilkenny might think that the move doesn't affect them. I'm pointing out that it's an issue which affects all of the county and not just the affected area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭granturismo

..... The move is nothing more than an attempt by Waterford to take over the cash cow that is Belview port. No Kilkenny person should take this lying down..

Is Belview not to remain in Co Kilkenny under the review? I still dont agree with the proposed boundary change.

Isn't this what a "city" is supposed to do?
    And these are government services, provided for the whole area not just "Waterford". That's why they are there. This is exactly the parochial and condescending attitude I have seen over and over re this area and Kilkenny in general.
    And if it's to have "no practical effect at all." why do it at all? Are you admitting then what it really is, a territory marking exercise.

Pinch Flat wrote: »

What ridiculous petty sh!te! Any employer worth its salt employs the very best staff they can get- in terms of skills, education and aptitude. Just because so many of them happen to live and come from Kilkenny is an employer doing exactly that, they clearly can't get what they want in the immediate vicinity.

Is Belview not to remain in Co Kilkenny under the review? I still dont agree with the proposed boundary change.

It's all remaining. This ain't happening regardless of how big Coveney's new found horn for Waterford gets.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

My biggest issue with it is that I don't want my area to be transferred to Waterford. Some in Kilkenny might think that the move doesn't affect them. I'm pointing out that it's an issue which affects all of the county and not just the affected area.

The larger revenue from there is because it's close to Waterford city right?

Advertisement