Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No carbs after 6. Trust me brah.

Options
  • 09-02-2017 10:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭

I figured I'd log what I do in my notebook just to make it easier to look back in the future. It'd also be easier to post PR's here instead of the
    achievement thread all the time.

Background:
    -Bw-78/79kg
    -Doing weightlifting about a year
    -Best lifts are: 85 Snatch, 110 C+J/115 Clean

Thursday 9/2
    Power Snatch+Hang Power - 70-5x2- Felt pretty good

Power C+J Blocks- 85-3x3+1, 90-2x3+1- Also felt solid enough.

BTN Jerk - 110-2x1, 95-3x3 - Decided to go for a heavy single and worked up to 110. First attempt felt crap so decided to do it again and felt much better.

Back Squat- 120- 3x8 - Haven't squatted in 3 weeks as knees are **** again, so trying to get back up to strength with lots of reps at light weights. Knees felt crap at the start but got better as the sets went on. Quads are ridiculously tight.

As I'm on semester break until April I might just throw in training clips some days as I have more time. Maybe a weekly one would be more sustainable long-term but I tried this out a test anyway.

I have no coach (other than a nice, old german man who turns up every blue moon and shouts random stuff at me and the others) so I'd welcome any sort of criticism people might have technique-wise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

Friday 10/2

2 Pos. C+J- 95-2x1, 100-4x1, 105-1x1- Nice enough, decided to go up to 105 for the last set as 100 felt comfortable

C+J- 110-1x1, 115-1x1- Missed Jerk- Disappointed not set a PR here but equalled best C+J and best Clean. 110 was comfortable enough to be honest, and 115 felt much easier than the first time I did it.

Clean Pulls- 130-5x5 - Kept it light as I was quite tired and just did 5 sets instead of 3 which I normally do.

Strict Press (dead stop between reps) - 60-3x5 - Decided to do them from a dead stop to see what difference it would make as one of the lads (who's way stronger than me in weightlifting) did them on monday and couldn't do a set of 5. They felt pretty easy to be honest.

Leg Raises- 3 x a lot

Nice enough training session. Jerks need work though (cliche I know). If I'm going to C+J more I need to be confident about making them at PR attempts and it's just not there at the moment. I'll look to start doing them from front and BTN once a week from now on.

Monday-13/2

Hip+Hang Sn.- 60-2x1+2, 65-2x1+2, 60-1x1+2 - Tried hip snatches for the first time and my God were they shocking. First set at 65 was ok, but the second was poor and I missed the third so went down to 60 for the last one.

Jerks from Blocks- 95-5x3- Decided to hold the bar for 3secs after the last jerk for the first 3 sets. My body was v. shaky. Jerks themselves were alright though.

I wanted to squat aswell but there's something funky going on with my left quad. It's either ridiculously tight or something and there was a bruise on it this morning, and because of this squatting is just agony. Nothing but frustration regarding squats the past month or so, and I doubt it's down to volume at all as I put about 10kg on my front squat between October-December going 3x a week and had no issues at all.

Tuesday 14/2

Sn. Balance - 65- 4x4, 70-1x3 - Gonna start doing these before I snatch as I feel that forcing myself to do them is the only I way I'll get better at them. My most hated exercise ever.

Hip Sn. - 60-3x2, 65-3x2- Was pissed off at hip snatches yesterday so I gave them another go. Felt much better this time, even though I missed the last rep of the last set. Pulling under is a big weakness in my snatch so this might help.

Hang C+J- 90-2x2, 95-3x2 - Cleans were fairly crap, jerks better.

Front Sq. - 3x6- 80 (lol) - Quad is still crap like yesterday but I felt I needed to squat something, even bodyweight.

Wednesday 15/2

Drop Snatch- 50-2x3

Sn. Balance - 65-3x3

Power Sn. Blocks - 60,65,67.5- 2x3, 70-1x3,1x2 - Missed last rep on last set. Would've gone again but my thumbs felt 'squidgy?' and each now have lovely, matching blisters now. Should've worn straps but I try to avoid them as much as possible.

Sn. Deadlift - 120-3x5

Fairly 'meh' training session overall. 2nd time doing powers from blocks and they felt much better than last time. Nothing beats snatches from the floor though.

Thursday 16/2

Power C+J- 95 - 5x2+1 - Wanted to go heavier but was feeling quite ****. Missed jerk on 2nd set from just being an idiot and not focusing on actually jerking the damn bar.

Muscle Sn. - 50-3x3

Back Sq. -125- 3x8 - Sets of 8 = Cardio, which will ruin m'gainz. I'm sticking with them though as I'm still trying to learn how to back squat after not really doing them at all for 9 months or so. I won't be ignoring them anymore though.

Nice to actually squat some weight this week. Left quad is still feeling weird but once loosened out I can squat with minimal pain. I'm still weak as balls though.

• Advertisement

Friday 17/2

Snatch - 72.5 - 4x2 - First 2 sets were dog****, last two were much nicer.

C+J - 100 - 4x2 - No hookgrip as my thumbs are all ripped and the tape there was useless. Didn't really make much of a difference though tbh, as these were easy enough.

Cl. Pulls - 140 - 3x3

Pwr Cl. + Press - 55 - 3x1+5

Monday 20/2

Sn. Balance - 70-3x3

Sn. - 65,67.5,70- 2x3, 72.5-1x3 - My left shoulder seems to fatigue disproportionately to my right one, to the point where the bar actually becomes lob-sided slightly. Dunno wtf is going on there.

Sn. High Pull - 100 - 3x3

Back Sq. - 130-3x8

Tuesday 21/2

C+J - 95,100,105- 2x2

Clean- 105-1x2, 110,115,120- 1x1- PR'd my clean on first attempt aswell. Delirah.

Cl. Pulls - 140-3x3

BTN Jerks- 90-2x3, 95-2x3, 90-2x3

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

That's awesome

bluewolf wrote: »
    That's awesome

I'm nowhere near where I want to be, but I'm puttng around 5kg a month on my clean at the moment, so I can't really complain.

There's a good few issues need sorting technique-wise here for sure. I pull the bar quite high but I'm really slow under and it results in me collapsing at the bottom, which ends up making it hard to stand up, like here. I'm good for a lot more, but more reps and training is really what I need.

Thanks for the compliment though!

• Advertisement

Wednesday 22/2

Pwr. Sn.+Hng. Pwr. - 60-3x1, 65, 2x1

Jerk Blocks - 90 - 3x3

Deadlifts - 150-3x5

Press - 60-3x5

Pretty **** overall tbh.

Thursday 23/2

Drop Sn. - 50-2x3

Sn. Balance - 65-2x3, 70,72.5 - 1x3 - Much better now since I put them before I snatch. 75 is my best so I have to improve that.

Snatch - 70-3x3 - Happy that I can hit this easy for triples, even when I feel pretty tired.

Power Cl.+Hang Pwr.+ Push Press - 80-4x1, 85-1x1

Back Squat - 135 - 3x6 - Way harder than they should be.

No training until next week as I'm away. I need a break from lifting anyway.

Friday 3/3

Hang Cleans - 95-2x2, 100-1x1 miss, 90-4x2- Cleans were abysmal today

Jerk Blocks - 90-3x3, 95-2x3, 100-1x3 - Best I've done for a triple, hopefully will make this real working weight soon.

Cl. Pulls - 135- 3x5

I feel crap since coming back from a week of eating crap and drinking too much. I only have one more week before I'm off to America for a bit, so can't really plan ahead.

I tried back squatting today and it was utter garbage, got 1 rep of 135 and it felt 50kg heavier. I actually think that back squats are worse for my knees since starting back with them I've only had issues. I think I lean forward too much, whereas on front squats I sit back and am far more upright- and they feel much more comfortable tbh.

Monday 6/3

Drop Sn. 45-3x5

Hip Sn. - 60-3x3

3 Pos. Sn. - 65 - 3x1

Sn. Balance - 70,72.5,- 1x3, 75-2x3

Front Sq. - 115-3x5

Hip Snatches felt good, and since any form of hang is a consistent weakness, it might be a good idea to work on them in the next while. 3 Pos. Snatches were crap though.

I also noticed I am seriously ****ing weak overhead - like, I just can't catch anything after 30mins of snatching- so working on snatch balances will remain a priority for the considerable future. Considering my pulls is pretty good, and my bar path ain't too bad, catching is what's hindering me in the snatch, so it needs work for sure.

Tuesday 7/3

C+J Blocks- 100-3x3, 105-3x3

Cl. Pulls Deficit - 130-3x5, 135-2x5

BTN Jerks- 90,95,100- 2x3

Push Press - 80-5x3

Decent enough session, no misses, although cleans felt pretty poor tbh. Started back push pressing again, really trying to use my legs more as I'm pretty poor at them.

Wednesday 8/3

Pwr. Snatch+Hang Pwr. - 65-5x2

Pwr. C+J - 95-3x2, 100-2x2, 105-1x1

Back Squat - 135- 3x8

PR'd my Power C+J and squats were pretty damn good, though sets of 8 just leave me wrecked.

Friday 10/3

Drop Sn. 50-3x5

Hang Cl, C+J - 95-5x2

Sn. Pulls - 90- 3x3

Saturday 11/3

Sn. 70-3x3 - Right rotator cuff felt dreadful this morning but I went ahead anyway. Went for a 4th set and stopped after I missed the 2nd rep and felt bad.

Front Sq. 120-5x3 - Pretty easy tbh

Going on a trip for 10 days, so no training for a while.

Monday 27/3

Snatch Pull, Pwr. Sn., Sn. - 65-2x1, 70-3x1

Sn. Balance+Push Press - 65-2x3+3, 70-1x3+3

Front Sq. - 110-3x3, 2x5

Snatches felt alright tbh, although I felt gassed early on as work capacity is low after 2 weeks off. Weak as balls with the Front Squats but strength will be back soon enough. Feels class to lift again.

Probably should update this just for future reference to myself as I forgot I even had this.

Got an online coach via reddit who I was working with for 3months and found very good. Even though online coaching is kinda meh, my technique has definitely improved. I stopped though as I injured my tibia (which is still injured) which meant I couldn't do anything bending my knees at all. I'm also going back to Ireland soon where I'll hopefully get an actual coach.

I still can't squat, full snatch or clean, without struggling to walk after, which pisses me off but there's nothing I can do. It's slowly feeling better but for now I'm just doing powers, jerks and lots and lots of pulls and presses.

I also discovered that I'm quite decent at muscle snatches (did 70 for a double last week) and should be able to muscle snatch bw soon. It's also helped a lot with my regular snatch as I'm actually pulling under (if ever so slightly) unlike before when I used to just fall underneath and miss snatches I shouldn't miss.

Grip-widening in both my snatch and jerk has worked wonders and I know I'll be good for more when I'm able to move fully.

I did 3x3 power sn. at 75kg, 3x2 jerks at 100kg and 3x3 sn. deadlifts at 125kg today.

Really happy with the power snatches as they were easier than expected, and considering 80 is my PR, I know I should do more soon.

• Advertisement
Advertisement