Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A lot of Buddhism threads missing

Options
  • 09-02-2017 11:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭

I posted about this in World Religions forum but want to get answer here too.
    I was not using the Buddhism forum in recent months and hadn't realised it got merged into World Religions (Why?).

There are very few Buddhism threads there now.

Nearly all my posts in the Buddhism forum have disappeared as far as I can see. I spent a lot of time writing detailed replies to peoples questions. Just about 100 are missing. Perhaps not many but they were often long and written over a few hours. IT could be 300 hours of effort. I had thought they'd be a useful resource to people interested in Buddhism.

Are they all gone, deleted? Is there a way of retrieving them for my own record?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Have you checked out the Buddhism forum that is now closed?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=373

The posts are not deleted & still viewable.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Have you checked out the Buddhism forum that is now closed?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=373

The posts are not deleted & still viewable.

Actually tHB I've been checking and I don't think the forums in the Religions Archive are generally accessible. I'm discussing it with Taltos at the moment to see if we can fix things.

My bad. Thanks, Zaph.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

THBs link should work for you now.
    Thanks for calling this to our attention.

Cheers, Taltos!

• Advertisement

No worries, sorry about the messing about.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

Ok, great that you have fixed things so I can see stuff again.
    Are archived posts available to the general search function?

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭bou

What was the discussion around closing those forums? I saw nothing on that anywhere.
    Could the charter be edited to highlight where the old content can be found. It's not really at all obvious that it ever existed.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

bou wrote: »
    Ok, great that you have fixed things so I can see stuff again.
    Are archived posts available to the general search function?

A few tweaks were needed but the forum should be searchable now.
    bou wrote: »
    What was the discussion around closing those forums? I saw nothing on that anywhere.
    Could the charter be edited to highlight where the old content can be found. It's not really at all obvious that it ever existed.

I'm afraid I wasn't involved in the discussions about the changes to the forum structure so I can't help you there. As regards the charter, if you PM the mods and discuss it with them I'm sure they can add something.

Generally for archived forums they are just gone from general use and don't appear anywhere, as you can imagine as Boards has grown and changed there are quite a few and leaving them all visible would make for a very messy site.

For the religion sub forums, these were meant to appear where they are currently but I missed a setting on the permissions to make them visible to reg, unreg and subscribers, this was only caught by you after nearly a year of being like that.

Similarly with the search function, that's a custom feature I have to enable for the inactive forums so hopefully it works.

In terms of discussion, for some of these forums there hadn't been a post in 3 to 6 months so the admin team asked the cmods and mods if it was time to delete them and be done with it. They made a case to merge instead to continue to provide a place where people could come and learn about the religions and should demand reverse at a later date the sub-forums could be looked at again. As you're the first poster to ask about these since that change nearly a year ago it seems unlikely at this time but who knows in 6 months or a year should posting increase driving demand for a specific forum again.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement