Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adaption Grant query

Options
  • 09-02-2017 11:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Hi folks im in the process of Applying for an adaption grant for a Bathroom, i have got the occupational Therapist Report,it seems i will have to get some electrical work done,

But i am just wondering can i apply fora comp-lete House Rewiring and will the same application cover this, as well and would this all be done by the same contractor or do i have to go to an electrical company as well ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

As far as I know the grant will only pay for work needed for the adaption. Since the rewiring isn't part of this it wouldn't be paid for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

mickmac76 wrote: »
    As far as I know the grant will only pay for work needed for the adaption. Since the rewiring isn't part of this it wouldn't be paid for.

So its a different grant to apply for ?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

Somewhat depends on how flexible the Council inspector is willing to be. If the wiring is completely necessary for the adaption to be carried out (i.e., wiring in an electric shower) then that might well be covered. If it's a general re-wiring due to poor conditions, that could only really come under the HOP application (where you are required to be 66 years or over).

There is a grant for older people who are over 65 to improve their homes. Also the home renovation incentive is a scheme where you can get back 15% of the cost of home improvements. Check out the Citizens Information website for a full list of available home grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Somewhat depends on how flexible the Council inspector is willing to be. If the wiring is completely necessary for the adaption to be carried out (i.e., wiring in an electric shower) then that might well be covered. If it's a general re-wiring due to poor conditions, that could only really come under the HOP application (where you are required to be 66 years or over).

Thanks folks i am over 66 and the house is 40 years old i was just thinking if im applying for this work why not add the rewiring too ?

as a lot of the contractors who came to the house have said the electricity is well past its sell by date

is this how this works?

that citizens advice page is daunting :eek:

• Advertisement

I'd reccomend dropping into your nearest Citizens Information office as they would be more familar with the application process for your county council and they will be able to give you specific advise and help you fill out the application form.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,526 ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

The Housing Aid for Older People scheme is the correct one for general re-wiring works. I would ring up the grants officer in your local county council and explain what you want to do, around the same time as your submit your Housing Adaption application (or discuss it with the council inspector when they arrive).

I'm sure it's daunting but it's well worth it in the end!

Advertisement