Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Torn between moving to Liverpool or Sheffield. Thoughts?

• 10-02-2017 12:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭

Hi there. So I basically got accepted to study teacher training next September in 2 universities, one in Liverpool and the other in Sheffield. I have done the interviews, visited the cities and the universities and I am still torn.

I visited Liverpool for a couple of days this week. Despite the bad rep it has been traditionally given, I thought it was reasonably sized and city life suits me as a native Dub. The people seem quite friendly, cost of living is cheap and flights home are quite cheap and quick if I need/want to head back. The only downside is the uni doesn't appeal that much to me. Also the fact that my teaching placement could be anywhere in the Merseyside area means I need to have a car or rely on public transport to get to likes of Wirral, St Helens and places on the border with Chester and Lancashire. Maybe I am exagerrating but there seems to be quite a distance.

I also visited Sheffield. It's hard to get info from boardsies here but most online forums and students seem to like the city. It's quite student friendly which I like and Brits/people I bumped into who spent a year on Erasmus there have told me they like it. I actually felt very safe despite it can be run down in parts of the city and felt there was a lot to do, despite the fact it is a small city. I liked the uni and my building is beside the support services. The city campus means everything is a walk away and school placement are within a 20 mile radius. Tbh my heart is more tempted towards Sheffield but the fact I am training to be a teacher makes me realise I won't be a typical student and could find it difficult to fit into student life between teaching placements in a student dominant city, so I am wondering if I should still keep the torch for L'pool.

Any thoughts would be great? Even if you live in either city and could give your opinion of living there, that would be great.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 sassychick91

I know people who lived in Liverpool for a while. They loved it as the cost of living can be quite cheap and its a great spot for shopping/going out! there's a lot of Irish and Northern Irish over there and people of Irish background too, not that that should influence your choice.
    Go with whatever feels right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Thanks. I actually noticed there were many Irish going to do the course.
    I actually chose Sheffield as I preferred the uni. The city is nice enough and student friendly so that is my next move :).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Thanks. I actually noticed there were many Irish going to do the course.
    I actually chose Sheffield as I preferred the uni. The city is nice enough and student friendly so that is my next move :).

I think you made a good choice, despite the fact I don't know Liverpool that well.

I spent three years in Sheffield and enjoyed it a lot, and I still go back to visit now and again. Nice size city, lots of parks, Peak District on doorstep, lots of good pubs, and the people are friendly.

cashback wrote: »
    I think you made a good choice, despite the fact I don't know Liverpool that well.

I spent three years in Sheffield and enjoyed it a lot, and I still go back to visit now and again. Nice size city, lots of parks, Peak District on doorstep, lots of good pubs, and the people are friendly.

Yeah thanks for getting in touch. For me, I felt Sheffield had the better uni course, was a nice not too big nor too small place. Enough there to keep me entertained (great student vibe) and also near enough to Manchester. In general, it seems a better fit for me. Looking forward to the course in September :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

Are you going to Sheffield Uni or Hallam ? I live in Sheffield and its a fantastic city - locals call it the biggest village in the UK :-)  I work here but have been to lots of events in the unis and there's a lot of students here ! If youve any questions regarding Sheffield just drop me a pm

• Advertisement

snowey07 wrote: »
    Are you going to Sheffield Uni or Hallam ? I live in Sheffield and its a fantastic city - locals call it the biggest village in the UK :-)  I work here but have been to lots of events in the unis and there's a lot of students here ! If youve any questions regarding Sheffield just drop me a pm

It's the University of Sheffield. Great to hear that. Have visited Sheffield for two days back in February and I thought it was nice. Pm'd you.

Advertisement