Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magpie

Options
  • 10-02-2017 12:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

I saw someone on utube taking note of the location of magpie nests during the winter when there is no foliage on the trees. When nesting time arrives and the foliage appears they can then be dealt with. Does this method of vermin control work?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭blackpearl

with out a douth done it for years before larsen traps,you need at least 2 men with guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Except sometimes other species will use an old magpie nest so don't shoot until you are sure it's magpies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭minktrapper

And if I am on my own. If I fired a shot up from underneath would it have any impact.What sized shot would I use.

found killing the adults flying of the nest best results.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭minktrapper

Would lead penetrate through the nest to break the eggs. Do they have an entry hole that they use all the time.

• Advertisement

some of them nests the mags have are that thick you would need a m16 to bust it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

And if I am on my own. If I fired a shot up from underneath would it have any impact.What sized shot would I use.

You'll need 00Buck (9pellets).

When it's broken up a bit, 6 or 7's will finish the job, as the buckshot is around 1.00 per bang.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Eddie B

I think it is now illegal to shoot out any birds nest lads.

The quicker the better we get out of the eu with all their rules their will be no hunting in a few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭cavan shooter

blackpearl wrote:
    The quicker the better we get out of the eu with all their rules their will be no hunting in a few years.

There are stronger hunting organisations in EU Countries and I would be of the view if we can only work together we would be better off.

• Advertisement
Advertisement