Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottle cage holder removal

Options
  • 10-02-2017 1:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭

Hi guys.

Just looking for advice with the following. I am rebuilding a bike at the moment as a project. I cannot remove one of the bottle cage screws screwed into the carbon fibre frame. The allen keys won't fit into the screws, the screws are worn so the Allen key will not make contact with the screws to untighten them from the bike. I don't want to remove cage and having to break it off in the process. I have attached a picture of the bottle cage holder. Let me know if some one has ideas of removing it without damage to frame.

Thanks again.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,942 ✭✭✭Danbo!

Seadin wrote: »
    Hi guys.

Just looking for advice with the following. I am rebuilding a bike at the moment as a project. I cannot remove one of the bottle cage screws screwed into the carbon fibre frame. The allen keys won't fit into the screws, the screws are worn so the Allen key will not make contact with the screws to untighten them from the bike. I don't want to remove cage and having to break it off in the process. I have attached a picture of the bottle cage holder. Let me know if some one has ideas of removing it without damage to frame.

Thanks again.

Had a similar issue with a seat post bolt before, though not in carbon so others may be able to advise on that.

Things I tried after researching online
    - brand new Allen key - corners won't be worn so slightly better grip. This didn't work, but there was a more noticeable grip as it clicked around as opposed to just rolling around.
    - vice grips. The bolt wasn't recessed, but was a half dome shape so couldn't get a decent grip. Looks like it might not be an option from your pic.
    - use a saw to cut a slot into the head of the bolt and use a flat head screwdriver to remove. This is what did it in the end. Again I see from your pic it's in an awkward spot, but maybe a small hand saw or hacksaw blade could get in there, parallel to cage.
    - glue an Allen key into it using some sort of metal glue. never got to this method.

You've probably tried it, but could you remove the non stuck bolt and use the cage itself to pull and turn the screw? If you end up the glue route, it might work to glue the cage to the stick bolt, let it dry, then spin the cage? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Have you tried putting an elastic band between the Allen key and bolt to give it purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Mefistofelino

A very slightly oversized Torx driver will often fit into a rounded-out hex head. If you have to saw, a Dremel-type tool might be better than trying to fit a hacksaw blade.

The proper answer, however, is that you need a new bike. It always is.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Easyout and some carbon specific lube would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭carltonleon

Can you get a grip on it with a small pliers to start it off ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Have you tried putting an elastic band between the Allen key and bolt to give it purchase?

This or even a small bit of paper will do. I have used a bit of selotape with great success to do this.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,617 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Can you get a grip on it with a small pliers to start it off ?
    looks like (s)he's already tried that on the lower bolt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Dremel a slot for a flat scredriver and use a very short one to get better torque: http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/103241-6231931.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Use a bolt extractor, like a reverse drill bit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Just use a bolt extractor - like a reverse threaded drill bit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,372 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

What's so special about the cage?

Just cut off the cage and grab the bolt from the sides with a vice grip it should come out no bother. The only thing is if it's particularly stuck it may loosen the boss.

I'm not sure you'd get an easy out tool on straight with the top tube in the way.

If you're determined to keep the cage I've found using a snips/side cutter and grab the inside and edge of the bolt usually works if it's not seized in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,696 ✭✭✭Seadin

looks like (s)he's already tried that on the lower bolt.

I have tried that but to no effect. They were on the bike since day one.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭dragratchet

I had this issue.... was with my good race bike so took it to Harrys bikes (Clonskeagh) where they drilled the seized & stripped bolt and fitted a new grommet. i didn't trust myself to take a drill near my frame

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

The proper way to remove it is with a drill and an easy out. If you could the first screw out, you might be able to turn the cage (anticlockwise) to try and start the knackered screw turning.
    Some screw removal grip paste (screw doctor) might help if you can get some, or try a slightly larger allen key or torx.
    Failing all of that, I'd go with iwillhtfu's suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭perrier

Chop the cage off with a snips and remove the bolts with a small vise grips.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Literally, forget all these fancy destructive methods. Use the Allen key you have, and as said before, some elastic, or paper, or selotape. Put it over the end of the allen key, force it in, twist.

perrier wrote: »
    Chop the cage off with a snips and remove the bolts with a small vise grips.

Think it's the easiest option. Il do that and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

CramCycle wrote: »
    Literally, forget all these fancy destructive methods. Use the Allen key you have, and as said before, some elastic, or paper, or selotape. Put it over the end of the allen key, force it in, twist.

which end? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Em, not the biggest fan of easy outs. Biggest problem with them here is trying to drill dead ahead into the screw particularly when the screw is already in a mess. Nor would I start tapping with a punch as a guide for the bit. In this case they're very faffy.

I would get a narrow dremel blade and cut a notch for a flat head srewdriver first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭NeedMoreGears

Never had much (as in any!) success with easyouts - as Mycroft_H mentioned above, drilling is tricky to say the least - moreso with small bolts.

Before you go at the bolt with one of the above, it would be worth applying some penetrating oil to the bolt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Mr. Grieves

Hacksaw to cut a slot for a large flathead screwdriver works, I've done it in this exact scenario before.

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭ayapatrick

Second the suggestion of using a Torx head.

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭mackeminexile

Second the elastic band. trick, have used that a few times and its been more effective than an easy out bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 pikefisher

grasping at straws but remove the bolt on the left then turn the bottle cage anti clockwise , it might just be enough to slightly loosen the damaged bolt .

pikefisher wrote: »
    grasping at straws but remove the bolt on the left then turn the bottle cage anti clockwise , it might just be enough to slightly loosen the damaged bolt .

I can't remove either of them. I am going to try a few tips here and il report back.

At long last I got it removed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

Using which method?

Seadin wrote: »
    At long last I got it removed.

Well ya can't just leave it at that. How? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Don't leave us in suspense, please!

• Advertisement

I'm imagining OP standing proudly with bolt in one hand and hammer in another. Standing over a pile of splintered carbon yelling success. :D

Advertisement