Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can you schedule iPhone not to receive any email between certain times?

Options
  • 10-02-2017 6:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭

I'd like to tell my iPhone not to go looking for email between 1am and 8.30am, so I can still have my phone on but not be disturbed by a buzz or sound while asleep.

I do want my phone on for other notifications from apps, callls texts etc.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Do Not Disturb can do this but will silence everything except calls from your favourites.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Tazium

Use 'low power mode', this disables push mail and notifications unless you open mail and refresh. Not quite what you want but in combo with 'do not disturb' will make things quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Do Not Disturb can do this but will silence everything except calls from your favourites.

Yup this or do what I do and turn off push email on both my work and personal phone. Life is too short to be disturbed by email so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Yea think your right just turn off push, should help battery as well, stepped back from a 6s to an SE and the battery is miles better, hence I was trying to hold onto push during certain hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,550 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

No need for phone to be on at night, I truly don't understand this behaviour, it's very unhealthy

• Advertisement

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    No need for phone to be on at night, I truly don't understand this behaviour, it's very unhealthy

How exactly is it unhealthy. You're sleeping, so as long as do not disturb is on and your set up favourites for emergencies. You miss out on photo processing and iCloud backup and other stuff that iOS does during the night when plugged in.

If you turn your phone off how does someone get in contact with you? Ring the local pay phone? :).

Wish life was still that care free, only get to turn it off when out of the country these days.

If you turn your phone off how does someone get in contact with you? Ring the local pay phone 🙂.

If somebody truly needs you they will knock on your door. I truly find this 24/7 contactability strange.

Some say having devices switched on in your bedroom can distribute sleep, even if they don't make sounds. We don't need to be contactable 24/7

Some of us do

Some of us do

I think many think they need to or are being made believe so, many truly don't. Push technology is relatively new, we survived fine without it. It can be quite unhealthy for us

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Either set your mail so that push is off, or actually turn off mail temporarily. My phone is set to pull, so I decide when I receive the mail to my phone. I actually don't understand why you'd have push mail, having those incoming buzzes all the time

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Push is actually more battery efficient than manual/fetch in some cases. It depends on the server, how often you check and how many emails you receive. Obviously if you get several email an hour your battery is going to take a hit from the screen lighting up all the time. I only have one account with push enabled. And I send Boards/social media notifications etc into a folder.

And I put my phone on Do Not Disturb at night for the reasons Creamy Goodness mentioned. I’m not contactable unless someone in my favourites calls and alarms still work. It’s the same as being off but means the phone is ready to go in the morning and I can still be contacted in an emergency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

SBSchedule

• Registered Users Posts: 5,634 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I believe you can set the 'Do not disturb' profile on a schedule? Setting/Do Not Disturb/Scheduled. Would that do what you want?

You can define exceptions for your favourite contacts or repeated calls or such.

Take it you've never worked on call?
    Or been away from your kids overnight?
    Or had someone in hospital?

You not understanding something isn't really relavent to the op, is it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Can you not turn off sounds for mail notifications?
    I don't get any sounds, vibrates, not in notification centre so I just have the badge app icon on.

So if I open the phone I'll see if I have mail or not.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,443 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

And the fact that the alarm doesn't work if the phone is off :(

D0NNELLY wrote:
    Take it you've never worked on call? Or been away from your kids overnight? Or had someone in hospital?

Most people have experienced these things, and most have survived by being relatively uncontactable. We 've gone contactable crazy. It is believed it makes us 'more productive', humans are not production machines

If somebody truly needs you they will knock on your door. I truly find this 24/7 contactability strange.

Some say having devices switched on in your bedroom can distribute sleep, even if they don't make sounds. We don't need to be contactable 24/7

I don't have a child but put yourself in these shoes for a moment. Friday night, your child is out, they don't feel safe to walk home as their friends have left early or they had some weirdo not leave them alone at a bar. Would you rather the gardai knock on your door or that your child rings you and your down in a flash to help them.

If the gardai knocked with bad news I'd assure you wouldn't have a disturb-free night ever again.

Some say it disturbs sleep? Got any scientific proof to back that up? Not saying you're wrong but it's bordering on "this lad down the pub told me something so it must be true" territory.

Most people have experienced these things, and most have survived by being relatively uncontactable. We 've gone contactable crazy. It is believed it makes us 'more productive', humans are not production machines

He asked how to do it, not if he should do it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Yourself isit

The main reason to keep the phone on (but screen off if course) is the alarm. As mentioned above.

Also remember landlines? They were always on and people had bedroom extensions.

Some of us do

I think many think they need to or are being made believe so, many truly don't. Push technology is relatively new, we survived fine without it. It can be quite unhealthy for us

100% agree now if we could just criminals to work 9 to 5 we'd all be happy and could turn our phones off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Eire Go Brach

Airplane mode for me. I can't sleep unless I'm listening to something. 😄

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

It's nothing to do with being more productive, more to do with being contractually obliged to being contactable.

As others have said, don't cast judgement when you don't have the full facts.

Advertisement