Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Up to 100 MBps eFibre: Promised 70 MBps and received 32 MBps

Options
  • 10-02-2017 7:51am

Hello there,

My new Eir eFibre line was installed yesterday. I moved to Eir from Magnet because of the intermittent and low speed of Magnet's adsl service. The Eir sales team assured me several times that if I ordered the up to 100 MBps line that I would receive 70 MBps. I double-checked this with them team lots of times - they promised consistent 70 MBps and told me they knew because they were checking the line to my house from their computer. I am getting less than half that - various tests come in around 32 Mbps / 4 Mb/s.

Can someone please help me. Having just gone through an awful time with Magnet and Comreg, it makes my heart sink to be back into this kind of situation again.

Regards,
    Garry

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭Eir: Pamela

Hello there,

My new Eir eFibre line was installed yesterday. I moved to Eir from Magnet because of the intermittent and low speed of Magnet's adsl service. The Eir sales team assured me several times that if I ordered the up to 100 MBps line that I would receive 70 MBps. I double-checked this with them  team lots of times - they promised consistent 70 MBps and told me they knew because they were checking the line to my house from their computer. I am getting less than half that - various tests come in around 32 Mbps / 4 Mb/s.

Can someone please help me. Having just gone through an awful time with Magnet and Comreg, it makes my heart sink to be back into this kind of situation again.

Regards,
    Garry
    Hi Deleted User,

Thanks for getting in touch.

I can understand your concerns. Can you PM me your full name and account number and I'll look into this for you.

Thanks,
    Pamela 

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,286 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Put your phone number in here OP and see what it says: http://www.digiweb.ie/line-checker/

Or this one if that doesn't work: https://www.eir.ie/broadband/

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭ancapallliath

Hello there,

My new Eir eFibre line was installed yesterday. I moved to Eir from Magnet because of the intermittent and low speed of Magnet's adsl service. The Eir sales team assured me several times that if I ordered the up to 100 MBps line that I would receive 70 MBps. I double-checked this with them  team lots of times - they promised consistent 70 MBps and told me they knew because they were checking the line to my house from their computer. I am getting less than half that - various tests come in around 32 Mbps / 4 Mb/s.

Regards,
    Garry
    Is it FTTC or FTTH?
    If FTTC how far away from the nearest cabinet are you?

Are you testing speed on WiFi or network cable directly to the router?

Thanks Mickeroo and ancapallliath  for taking an interest. I have responded to Pamela separately.

The digiweb line checker doesn't work for me and I will have to wait until I get home to try https://www.eir.ie/broadband/. It looks like the latter checks the line from where you are currently accessing?

I didn't use the terms FTTC or FTTH though I think it is supposed to be FTTH. They said that it goes all the way to the apartment and that means that it wouldn't go up and down - would stay at 70 MBps. The eFibre map on eir.ie shows two cabinets (I guess that is what they are called) close by. Id say around 250m to 350m though I might be a bit off.

I do admit I haven't tried with a network cable. If it is the case that I just need a better router than the free one supplied then I will happily buy my own.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,286 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The eir line checker you can either put in your phone number or address, i'm at work and can check my home address.

Also, if they're saying you can only get up to 70mb it's likely FTTC not FTTH.

• Advertisement

i would agree with Mickeroo and tend to think that its Fibre to the Cabinet and not to the Home.
    Over 250/350 metres of copper from the cabinet to the home you can expect some bit of a drop.
    You can also expect a drop when testing over WiFi as opposed to direct cable

Ok, thanks all.

I tried www.eir.ie/broadband again and it says: "[font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]Speeds of up to 70Mb are available at your home."[/font]

That is fair enough about to the Cabinet and not to the Home - I'm no expert.

If it says that there then you should be getting 70mb or so. Try testing on a wired connection when you get home. I get 60mb in my house but if I test over wifi it can sometimes be half that.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    If it says that there then you should be getting 70mb or so. Try testing on a wired connection when you get home. I get 60mb in my house but if I test over wifi it can sometimes be half that.
    im actually with eir too and mine says "[font=GT-Walsheim-Regular, Arial]Speeds of up to 90Mb are available at your home.[/font]" but i know i only have copper from cabinet to the house

no harm in op querying with eir anyway because they may have ftth and there could be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

Hello there,

Regards,
    Garry
    70mbps is FTTC, not FTTH. Also, if you are in an apartment block that is the speed to the Comms room, the speed from there to your actual living space would then deteriorate. If its 32mbps on a wirless connection, then that is really good. Why do you want/need faster? That will do just about anything that you need it to do. 

• Advertisement

EverythingGood,

You make a good point though I don't want to bring my own internet usage into the conversation. 

When I ordered this, I had to balance up the benefits and disadvantages of the different broadband providers. For pretty much the same money, I could have gotten a Sky package that includes TV or gone with Virgin and gotten a much faster line speed. So, it is important to me that I get what I was promised.

Also, I'm no technician so excuse me if I don't get it exactly right,  but the speeds required are moving upwards. Things like 4k streaming are coming on-line now. Also, you don't need to use all the MBps to get the benefit of a faster line - from what I have seen a faster line is generally zippier for the small stuff to kick in too. 

Having said all that, if the 55% loss of speed is because I'm using Wifi rather than a direct cable then I will happily withdraw my query. I will check this as soon as I can get to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭EverythingGood

EverythingGood,

You make a good point though I don't want to bring my own internet usage into the conversation. 

When I ordered this, I had to balance up the benefits and disadvantages of the different broadband providers. For pretty much the same money, I could have gotten a Sky package that includes TV or gone with Virgin and gotten a much faster line speed. So, it is important to me that I get what I was promised.

Also, I'm no technician so excuse me if I don't get it exactly right,  but the speeds required are moving upwards. Things like 4k streaming are coming on-line now. Also, you don't need to use all the MBps to get the benefit of a faster line - from what I have seen a faster line is generally zippier for the small stuff to kick in too. 

Having said all that, if the 55% loss of speed is because I'm using Wifi rather than a direct cable then I will happily withdraw my query. I will check this as soon as I can get to it.
    I understand, in my experience, a 25% wifi loss is normal. Get eir to check your line profile (ie the speed sent to your hub). If your line can hand 70mbps, and your profile is set at 70mbps, this can cause issues, I know it sounds counter intuitive, but if that is the case, ask them to lower your profile down 1 notch - this is less than your line can handle but will result in a better user experience and a more stable line.

another thing to consider is if you have tv with them. HD channel streaming can take around 10-12Mb, SD maybe 2-3Mb

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭jd

You can check your line speed and attainable line speed on your cpe - login to the admin interface at 192.168.1.254 using your browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I understand, in my experience, a 25% wifi loss is normal. 
    Talking rubbish. 

Its not a percentage loss rather the slowest link in the chain will be effective. Claiming any portional loss to be typical is plain wrong.

That said in an apartment on 2.4Ghz hitting 30Mb would be on the better end of expected. Try flipping over to 5Ghz+AC  to see a stark improvement. 

Advertisement