Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dying hard drive

Options
  • 10-02-2017 10:27am

Hi guys, have 2 drives C and D just looking to determine which one is going to fail on me S.M.A.R.T info isn't giving me much to go on. Reason I know one is on the way out is I can hear it spin up every 20-30 minutes followed by a mechanical grind/click. No crashes as yet and performance doesn't seem affected so OS drive likely not it?

Other drive is for storage but rarely used and written to and only a year - 18 months old.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

Disconnect one, power up and see if it makes the sound.

Do the same with the other.

Or, do the above, but boot a live rescue disk to test the hard drives.

http://lifehacker.com/this-all-in-one-system-rescue-toolkit-automatically-rep-1788886935

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Copy all the important data from the bad hardrive,
    clicking noise means it might have a few days life left, save data to a usb drive or
    the other hardrive if you are sure its in good condition.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

riclad wrote: »
    Copy all the important data from the bad hardrive,.

OP hasn't determined which one that is yet

Open the PC case switch off pc, switch off all power to the pc,disconnect the power cable from the hardrive no1,
    turn on pc ,is the clcking noise still going on.
    then its likely to be hardrive no 2 .the drive still connected to the power cable.

https://s3.amazonaws.com/assets.mhint/product_images/342766/342766pro_2.jpg

https://usb.brando.com/prod_img/zoom/UCABL005000_03_L.jpg
    ide power cable
    or disconnect the 2 cables to the sata drive ,if you are not sure which one is the power cable.
    first turn off the pc, unplug the main pc power cable from the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭jenny smith

Try Hard Disk sentinel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I can hear it spin up every 20-30 minutes followed by a mechanical grind/click

Its your D: Drive. C: wont idle for that long while the machine is on.

IF you are browsing the web ,windows saves files to temporary internet history ,also depending on what programs you have open, how much ram you have it may you the hardrive to store various files
    So i think it could be drive c or drive d.
    disconnect drive d first,
    has the clicking noise stopped .?Then its likely to be drive d.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

riclad wrote: »
    So i think it could be drive c or drive d.

Seriously? What are you on about?

well good old....still in warranty D: gave up the ghost tonight so saves me checking now but thanks for the replies. Odd that a drive that saw very little attention and hard use outside a day one transfer to it should die so soon but there we go :(

last check 8000 hours vs 21k hours in s.m.a.r.t

Advertisement