Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gutter cleaner purposely damages roof to con my mam out of €450!

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

That was fine until the piece about calling the Gardaí. People would just laugh at that. And the Gardaí wouldn't come just because someone knocked on your door.
    Indeed they do.
    I've called them several times over fellas like this and they always come and investigate.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭frank8211

would they be interested in cases where people are a bit anxious to get cash and then not quite finish the job? id have thought they would say its a civil matter, even if there is at least circumstantial evidence to connect the people involved to previous brushes with the law down under?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

OP I just now saw this thread.
    It wouldn't be usual to have roof ladder up to clean gutters on a normal house so those guys probably didn't go near your ridge tiles.
    As others have said don't entertain them or their likes again.
    If you need any work done get a local tradesman.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

If you're not getting a satisfactory response from the guards make a complaint. However I do concede I'm speaking from the point of view of urban Dublin. Our community guards are fairly good. What the situation in in a rural area I can't speak to.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

elperello wrote: »
    It wouldn't be usual to have roof ladder up to clean gutters on a normal house so those guys probably didn't go near your ridge tiles.

Why would you think this? They got up on the roof to show my mam after they brought her out. I'm almost certain they loosened the ridge tiles, it's far too coincidental that this roof is the only roof in viewable distance with loose ridge tiles.

There seems to be way too many people here reporting similar incidents, there's probably people getting scammed daily on this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,123 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

A guy called to the door last week. Gutter cleaning. He said he was doing a job for our next door neighbour. He even gave us her first name. He must have a Thom's Directory in his van because she is the one named in the directory. He then looked for our advice on where was the best place to park his van. Really smarmy. Gave us a very professional looking leaflet. Website site address as well.....except there was no website when you look it up. Needless to say our neighbour was not having any work done.
    I can't stand these leeches.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,515 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

cormie wrote: »
    Why would you think this? They got up on the roof to show my mam after they brought her out. I'm almost certain they loosened the ridge tiles, it's far too coincidental that this roof is the only roof in viewable distance with loose ridge tiles.

There seems to be way too many people here reporting similar incidents, there's probably people getting scammed daily on this.

i would say the vast majority of roofs I have been on have had loose ridge caps.
    it is just that you can see it.
    if you are up there you can lift them off. cement is too ridged for a roof made of wood that will continuously move around.

show us a pic of the loose ridge caps and the damage they caused

saying that these are probably cowboys.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I don't have a long enough ladder to get up there myself and wouldn't be too comfortable on a roof really, I can try get someone out to get up and have a look and to even check the rest of the ridge tiles to see if they lift off as easily, but you can clearly see, 3 tiles on my mams roof look much looser than the rest of the ridge tiles on her roof or the roof of her semi-d neighbour and the other 10 or so houses you can see in the distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,121 ✭✭✭✭elperello

cormie wrote: »

Sorry I didn't pick up from your original post that they were actually up on the ridge. There was no need to be up there to clean gutters and they had no business being up there without permission. If they got up there then it's very possible they loosened the ridge tiles to make a job for them selves.

As I said before, try to get an honest local tradesman to put things right. If you ask around the neighbours someone will put you right. Personal recommendation is better than ads or websites.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭kathleen37

Re the fellas in Donegal; they came back this morning and my Mum answered the door and said she spoke to her son and he said all good and nothing needs doing thank you very much.

All very polite, no problems.

• Advertisement
Advertisement