Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rod Advice - Dapping and Wobbling

Options
  • 10-02-2017 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 15

Hi guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice on two popular Irish fishing methods.

1. What should I be looking for in a dapping rod? Haven't held one since I was a kid and remember them being very long and very heavy. Looking to give the method a go this summer on L. Mask and L. Conn.

2. Wobbling deadbaits for Pike. I like to bring a pack of deadbaits when I go lure fishing to mix things up. But it's pushing the lure rod a bit hard. (rated to 10-30g). What do people use? I'm thinking around 10ft, but what casting weight?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

bazza85g wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Just looking for a bit of advice on two popular Irish fishing methods.

1. What should I be looking for in a dapping rod? Haven't held one since I was a kid and remember them being very long and very heavy. Looking to give the method a go this summer on L. Mask and L. Conn.

2. Wobbling deadbaits for Pike. I like to bring a pack of deadbaits when I go lure fishing to mix things up. But it's pushing the lure rod a bit hard. (rated to 10-30g). What do people use? I'm thinking around 10ft, but what casting weight?

10-30g is way undergunned I use a 12ft fox warroir I got one and now got two because there great rods, I'm not sure for wobbling deadbaits but I fish static deadbaits with a running ledger, Alarms the first rod is 2.75 test curve and the second is 3.lb test curve is not measured in grams because one 2oz ledger is nearly 80grams, you can use a 10ft for using sprats like lures cast them out and jig them!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bazza85g

I'm thinking along the lines of 10ft 2.5lb test curve now, balanced with a bait runner reel. Good all round combo. I want to cast lures with it too, so needs to be light enough to hold all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thefisherbuy

bazza85g wrote: »
    I'm thinking along the lines of 10ft 2.5lb test curve now, balanced with a bait runner reel. Good all round combo. I want to cast lures with it too, so needs to be light enough to hold all day.

Yes that should suit not sure though about casting lures though with mine 12ft ones id look a bit off lol, could be done but if I were to wobble/deadbait static I'd just bring a proper lure rod with me, as for baitrunners there's shimano st rbs on sale for 39£ got two of them a 4500, and a 6500 class reels!! On angling direct !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

I just use my spinning rod, its a savage gear xlnt... it casts up to 60 grams alto it can cast heavier, as i mainly fish canals its perfect, even use it for deadbaiting too. its fine for smelt and roach, i wouldnt go firing a big mackeral on it tho!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 bazza85g

kildare lad - thats the kind of rod I was thinking of alright, with a 4000 size baitrunner. For casting smelt and roach and some bigger lures too. Around 60grams sounds good.

• Advertisement
Advertisement