Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weekend Route . South Dublin

Options
  • 10-02-2017 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi all

I am a new cyclist and In am in it more for the social side and cardio element more than the hard slog. I could never see myself cycling massive treks like some of you on here.

I am looking for potential routes for weekend trails around the South County Dublin area. I was thinking of starting around Rathfarnham and progressing around up towards the Merry Ploughboy and up along that road for more.

Is there a loop at the top of this road back into Dublin? I dont like the idea of coming back down the same road tbh and would prefer to go in a loop.

My max cycle at the moment would be 30 -40k.

Any tips would be more than welcome.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hi all

I am a new cyclist and In am in it more for the social side and cardio element more than the hard slog. I could never see myself cycling massive treks like some of you on here.

I am looking for potential routes for weekend trails around the South County Dublin area. I was thinking of starting around Rathfarnham and progressing around up towards the Merry Ploughboy and up along that road for more.

Is there a loop at the top of this road back into Dublin? I dont like the idea of coming back down the same road tbh and would prefer to go in a loop.

Thanks

Keep up past the Merry Ploughman onto Cruagh road, at the junction after the steep climb take the left turn to go on to Pine Forest road, keep going past Johnny Foxes down to Kilternan, take a left as far as Lambs cross, left again and back the Rathfarnham via Marlay Park. About 25k -30k depending on where you're starting from with a good stiff climb near enough the start and some lovely descending and quiet country roads. You can add a bit to it by going up Stocking lane as far as the viewing point and back towards Cruagh and Pine Forest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,145 ✭✭✭nilhg

Strava is a great resource for planning rides on roads you are not familiar with, the activity search makes it easy to filter by start location, distance, clinmbing and elapsed time, here's some 30-40km rides from Rathfarnam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Bikerbhoy

Hi all

Thanks

I have a beginner group leaving from under Luas Bridge in Dundrum 9.30 Sundays if you are interested average spin distance currently 30 40 k .
    You are more than welcome to join us

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Garthvader

Heading up Cruagh is a fairly tough ask for most beginners. That's a fairly serious climb, even if you turn left at the top towards Glencullen.

If you want to avoid a major climb (for now) - head past the Merry Ploughboy and take the left dip down Mutton Lane and head along Tibradden road and along the back of Marlay Park - maybe then climb toward s Lamb Doyles... to Lambs cross and head out via Stepaside to Enniskerry?

About 10 km from Lambs cross to E'Kerry - you can come straight back or loop down Ballychorus Road or Ballyman Roads? Have a look at Google Maps.

But, for all I know you many be a fabulous climber!!

Enjoy :)

Advertisement