Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I a lazy teacher?

Options
  • 10-02-2017 11:29am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29

Hi folks

I have been teaching about 15 years in a working class area. Im a religion and English teacher. Mainly Religion.

We dont do it as an exam subject-Religion. Means I can apply some creativity to the course. Means no correcting. At Senior level I do the relationship and sexuality course.
    I do have one group of LCVP

At senior Level English I have one honours group/ One Ordinary.
    JC-I have an English Class mixed ability.

I correct mainly My honours LC English class about twice a month I take up essays. There are about 30 of them
    The English JC group-I take up something once a month.
    The Lc ordinary class has ten pupils . attendance varies wildly. I rarely take up anything as they rarely do Homework. I have done a few detentions but they drift back to doing no homework unless I give personal detentions

Most weeks I do about 3 hours at home. Some weeks nothing
    I often use my Religion classes to keep track of the School study group or other school related stuff. Sometimes in my religion class will plan for the English.
    The Lcvp class can require prep but Im only on half the year. When Im on it takes an hour a week prep.
    Let judgement begin.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭Jack the Stripper

You're doing grand. Same thanks you will get.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

I'm presuming this is going to turn into a "We teachers have it easy and ASTI should have voted Yes" posts?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 29 JakeSisko1980

Nope I'm asking a genuine question. Look teaching 30 kids for forty minutes is very tough. I'm not asking the General public but my fellow teachers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭2xj3hplqgsbkym

No I don't think your lazy, just very lucky to have a light workload . Surely other years you have several exam classes and little or no religion and those years are a lot harder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Hi folks

I have been teaching about 15 years in a working class area. Im a religion and English teacher. Mainly Religion.

We dont do it as an exam subject-Religion. Means I can apply some creativity to the course. Means no correcting. At Senior level I do the relationship and sexuality course.

I correct mainly My honours LC English class about twice a month I take up essays. There are about 30 of them
    The Lc ordinary class has ten pupils . attendance varies wildly. I rarely take up anything as they rarely do Homework. I have done a few detentions but they drift back to doing no homework unless I give personal detentions

I often use my Religion classes to keep track of the School study group or other school related stuff. Sometimes in my religion class will plan for the English.
    The Lcvp class can require prep but Im only on half the year. When Im on it takes an hour a week prep.
    Let judgement begin.

Shouldn't you be writing epic novels in memory of Ben Sisko? :P

Serious though, you're grand. Be thankful for a lighter workload, I've learned the hard way you wont get any real thanks for all the work beyond the call of duty you actually do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Just throwing this out there as a suggestion so don't bite my head off people, but is there a chance that your not a particularly good teacher or lack motivation so the Principle gives you an easy shift so that you don't affect the children's education?

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭dg647

I don't think you're lazy. What you are doing is sustainable. There are teachers who take up work very regularly, make up loads of notes, work on every committee going and take every sort of extra curricular activity going. These teachers won't be able to sustain that over a 30/40 year career.

If you give up everything for nothing it won't be appreciated. Pick the extras that you would like to do, let the kids make out their own summaries/notes etc. The teachers that do this will be the ones who will be still happy and productive in the later years of their career.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

I'm not a teacher, but had the great fortune of having a brilliant English teacher for first year secondary. He instilled in me a love of English poetry, which 40 years later is still alive and brings me great pleasure.

I think you are not doing enough for both JC and LC.

I think for LC honours, you should be correcting and encouraging at least once a week. In fact for LC, you should be correcting on a daily basis.

For JC, its mixed ability, so once a month is not enough. You need to give more attention to the bright students there, that they can progress to hons in LC and you need to ensure that the weaker ones at least pass the JC.

ravima wrote: »
    I'm not a teacher, but had the great fortune of having a brilliant English teacher for first year secondary. He instilled in me a love of English poetry, which 40 years later is still alive and brings me great pleasure.

I think for LC honours, you should be correcting and encouraging at least once a week. In fact for LC, you should be correcting on a daily basis.

For JC, its mixed ability, so once a month is not enough. You need to give more attention to the bright students there, that they can progress to hons in LC and you need to ensure that the weaker ones at least pass the JC.

With 30 kids in my fifth years correcting every day is insanity. They get one long essay a week which is about normal for that type of class. As for the JC class you might have a point. The bright guys could use a push but nobody fails JC English anymore.

Just throwing this out there as a suggestion so don't bite my head off people, but is there a chance that your not a particularly good teacher or lack motivation so the Principle gives you an easy shift so that you don't affect the children's education?

My marks are roughly the same as the others. I have looked

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

Nope I'm asking a genuine question. Look teaching 30 kids for forty minutes is very tough. I'm not asking the General public but my fellow teachers
    You're one lazy b1tch of a teacher, only joking :) I get out of bed at 5am and finish at 6-7pm 11 months a year 7 days a week and I still wouldn't swap jobs with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭feardeas

ravima wrote: »

Correct LC every day, yeah and while we're at it maybe cure cancer as well preferably before lunch.

As for the post linking this to one of the unions all I'd say is that this is a teacher reflecting on practice,trying to figure out if they're on the right track. It's the essence of a reflective practitioner. Not everything is related to a dispute that rumbles on and on.

As for the work, if the HL class get 18 pieces of work marked and feedback given then that is a lot and should stand to them.

For OL the two times I've had them I find it pointless fighting with them for work, it simply annoys them and us. It damages the dynamics of the class and is counter productive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,292 ✭✭✭0lddog

Does it matter ?

I can think of lazy teachers that are very good & also hyperactive but hopeless ones.

What have your LC results been like over the last number of years?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

I know ag science teachers that haven't a clue, just read the text from the book, absoute disgrace :mad:

Roughly in line with the rest of the school. It's a working class area with pockets of disadvantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

Hi folks

Let judgement begin.

I don't teach English but in relation to homework I can see why the students don't bother - what's the point if you're not going to correct it? I always correct homework and take up JC exam papers every week to check written work. I would take LC maybe twice a week depending on what the homework was. With those OL students, I would set aside a few mins before the end of class to get them started. I don't know what the students are like but I've had students that disliked my subject but with lots of encouragement - they made a good attempt at it. I've also taught children from the travelling community and again with lots of encouragement and them seeing that you have an interest in them will make them work and try. Have you given up on your students because of their backgrounds? Now I should also say - I don't have children to collect from childcare etc. so one/two evenings a week is manageable for me.

Just a few questions to consider:
    Have you a homework policy in the school?
    Have you a homework policy in the subject plan?
    Have you spoken to colleagues to see what they do with their classes?
    Have you thought of or had an inspection? Not correcting homework would work against you and that can be put into the report? Could you deal with letting the department down?
    Have you taken the view that teaching children from a disadvantaged area don't see the importance of education/your subject so why bother?
    How do you encourage the gifted students? Do you correct their work?
    Why do you use your religion class to plan for your English class if you are bringing creativity to these classes?
    What is the response from parents at PT meetings?

I don't teach English but in relation to homework I can see why the students don't bother - what's the point if you're not going to correct it? I always correct homework and take up JC exam papers every week to check written work. I would take LC maybe twice a week depending on what the homework was. With those OL students, I would set aside a few mins before the end of class to get them started. I don't know what the students are like but I've had students that disliked my subject but with lots of encouragement - they made a good attempt at it. I've also taught children from the travelling community and again with lots of encouragement and them seeing that you have an interest in them will make them work and try. Have you given up on your students because of their backgrounds? Now I should also say - I don't have children to collect from childcare etc. so one/two evenings a week is manageable for me.

Just a few questions to consider:
    Have you a homework policy in the school?
    Have you a homework policy in the subject plan?
    Have you spoken to colleagues to see what they do with their classes?
    Have you thought of or had an inspection? Not correcting homework would work against you and that can be put into the report? Could you deal with letting the department down?
    Have you taken the view that teaching children from a disadvantaged area don't see the importance of education/your subject so why bother?
    How do you encourage the gifted students? Do you correct their work?
    Why do you use your religion class to plan for your English class if you are bringing creativity to these classes?
    What is the response from parents at PT meetings?

I feel like the above is an interrogation. (Wink)Worse than I would get from the cops. I assume you are the perfect teacher ?! (Frown)
    A few points. Homework policies are by and large a ton of manure. Teachers do their own thing and I doubt your school is any different
    In relation to LC the attendance varies widely so it's hard to track student's work. I do encourage them but hard to do that when they won't return the effort. You Mr chips are obviously better at that than me !(winks)
    The system does not back me up. I end up doing detention to get any work out of them in my own time. I have stated this information already .
    At JC level I could correct more but I never said I don't correct at all. Like many teachers I'm trying to figure out a course with no training. I tend to favor having decent materials than correcting when push comes to shove. Ie an effective handout or something stimulating.
    It's pretty condescending to ask if I talk to colleagues about my work. Of course I do. We all find it hard to motivate at lc level. I have suggested lunchtime detentions but got nowhere with the idea. I often end up having to buy books for the lads because if I didn't they would not have text books . They generally refund me .
    As for religion classes it is wrong to use them for English prep pure and simple but with the way things have gone last few years I have been forced to do unpaid b post work in class time otherwise certain things would not be done at all in the school. Not prep work for English but running school things. I can't specify details. If I had a post I would have no problem doing them after school but I have no intention of taking time from my family to shore up state finances after all the cut backs
    Is it a management issue ? A union issue !Sure it is .I don't live or work in an ideal school.
    As for plans. I wrote the last one in 2011 and am the only teacher updating the new one . I get no help.
    As I'm writing this on my phone so can't insert the winks here and there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

You should have asked for monosyllabic feedback/replies to question if that's what you wanted!

You should have asked for monosyllabic feedback/replies to question if that's what you wanted!

I think the teacher above doesn't need Calvary!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭mtoutlemonde

I feel like the above is an interrogation. Worse than I would get from the cops. I assume you are the perfect teacher ?!
    I never said that - you started this thread as a reflection of your teaching and if I were you I would be asking myself these questions. Hence asking. Also I never said or stated that I was the perfect teacher and hopefully the previous point backs that up.
    A few points. Homework policies are by and large a ton of manure. Teachers do their own thing and I doubt your school is any different

Sometimes they are adhered to and other times not - I agree but giving students homework and not correcting it is defeats the purpose of the students doing it. I'm teaching a while and never had much of a problem with kids not handing up homework - now there are some students who will never do it or will put in a poor attempt who I will not bother with because they are just wasting my time and more importantly the students who work - their class time. I do keep a record and report it on journal.
    In relation to LC the attendance varies widely so it's hard to track student's work. I do encourage them but hard to do that when they won't return the effort. You Mr chips are obviously better at that than me !

Can't help you here - again concentrate on the ones who attend the most and have a small hand out for students who miss and tell them that's what they missed - it might work.

The system does not back me up. I end up doing detention to get any work out of them in my own time. I have stated this information already.

I do that as well - but it shouldn't be your time - put them in separate rooms - tell them what you want them to do (obviously the homework they didn't do), leave them for a while, have your lunch and come back before the bell rings.
    At JC level I could correct more but I never said I don't correct at all. Like many teachers I'm trying to figure out a course with no training. I tend to favor having decent materials than correcting when push comes to shove. Ie an effective handout or something exciting.

Yes I agree - can't get my head around how dumbed down the English course is - have made my views known in other fora. Effective marking with comments and reinforcement is more important than a hand out that will live on the bottom of a bag / thrown away / left in a locker etc. Again, if it's only your signature and the date - kids like to see it and a copy will last longer than any hand out.

It's pretty condescending to ask if I talk to colleagues about my work. Of course I do. We all find it hard to motivate at lc level. I have suggested lunchtime detentions but got nowhere with the idea. I often end up having to buy books for the lads because if I didn't they would not have text books. They generally refund me.

I didn't mean it that way - just asking your department members or other teachers if John in 6A is handing up homework etc. Is it just your class where students don't hand up work is it all subjects?

As for religion classes it is wrong to use them for English prep pure and simple but with the way things have gone last few years I have been forced to do unpaid b post work in class time otherwise certain things would not be done at all in the school. Not prep work for English but running school things. I can't specify details. If I had a post I would have no problem doing them after school but I have no intention of taking time from my family to shore up state finances after all the cut backs
    Is it a management issue sure it is .I don't live or work in an ideal school.

If having the extra work of the post is giving you too much work to deal with - speak to the principal and inform him/her. If they're not prepared to listen - contact the union.

I never said that - you started this thread as a reflection of your teaching and if I were you I would be asking myself these questions. Hence asking. Also I never said or stated that I was the perfect teacher and hopefully the previous point backs that up.

Sometimes they are adhered to and other times not - I agree but giving students homework and not correcting it is defeats the purpose of the students doing it. I'm teaching a while and never had much of a problem with kids not handing up homework - now there are some students who will never do it or will put in a poor attempt who I will not bother with because they are just wasting my time and more importantly the students who work - their class time. I do keep a record and report it on journal.

Can't help you here - again concentrate on the ones who attend the most and have a small hand out for students who miss and tell them that's what they missed - it might work.

I do that as well - but it shouldn't be your time - put them in separate rooms - tell them what you want them to do (obviously the homework they didn't do), leave them for a while, have your lunch and come back before the bell rings.

Yes I agree - can't get my head around how dumbed down the English course is - have made my views known in other fora. Effective marking with comments and reinforcement is more important than a hand out that will live on the bottom of a bag / thrown away / left in a locker etc. Again, if it's only your signature and the date - kids like to see it and a copy will last longer than any hand out.

I didn't mean it that way - just asking your department members or other teachers if John in 6A is handing up homework etc. Is it just your class where students don't hand up work is it all subjects?

If having the extra work of the post is giving you too much work to deal with - speak to the principal and inform him/her. If they're not prepared to listen - contact the union.

Thanks for the above. I don't have a post but it's work that should be a post and requires tracking kids down. I really don't feel I should do it in my free classes as I need those for prep . I would be pissing in the wind talking to our principal. But long term I'm giving up the extra work as it does knaw at me taking up class time . I d say I teach religion about 60% of time. I won't let that situation persist that long. A lot of the time doing it in free classes not practical as I need access to my own computer and my room gets used. By time I get another computer running class is often over!
    I appreciate your input. Apologies if I sounded ungrateful

Roughly in line with the rest of the school. It's a working class area with pockets of disadvantage.

I appreciate that they're a challenging audience but think you need to go beyond your own school to see what other English teachers are achieving in similar circumstances, especially if they're making better progress and obtaining better outcomes- if something is not working (like homework) then you need to try something else; otherwise you're always going to get the outcomes you're getting now.

I appreciate that they're a challenging audience but think you need to go beyond your own school to see what other English teachers are achieving in similar circumstances, especially if they're making better progress and obtaining better outcomes- if something is not working (like homework) then you need to try something else; otherwise you're always going to get the outcomes you're getting now.

That is very true but I know my limits. I do my best at the moment but would not rule out innovation soon. Just personal issues

Advertisement