Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arms

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Did they say if it's playable with motion controls only?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Did they say if it's playable with motion controls only?

No, you can also play with standard controls. I think they mentioned it during the Treehouse streams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

On the one hand it looks like it could be a lot of fun, on the other there's 5 fighters with only minor differences between them on show and 1 arena...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

Yeah, really think they need to add more characters, and areas to fight in. It looks good, just... well, slight.

Banjo wrote: »
    On the one hand it looks like it could be a lot of fun, on the other there's 5 fighters with only minor differences between them on show and 1 arena...

The Arms director has said there will be more fighters with more arm types, the ones shown were apparently the more basic arm types and there will be more different ones. He also said there would be different modes in the game yet to be announced. There will even be a way to play it with 1 Joy-Con, but that of course not be the most preferred way I'm sure. Very much looking forward to this actually.

Quote from him:

"The five characters in the demo are all pretty straightforward, with the ‘spring’ motif as their basis. Well, aside from the girl riding in the robot (laughs). There will be more bizarre characters like her appearing in the game. The cast will be very varied, with everyone having their own unique features".

• Advertisement

Talk is cheap!

But you know, all this talk of Demo is heartening... have it pre-installed on the Switch on Day 1 and allow a limited number of 2p bouts, and I'm willing to keep an open mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭hairball

Banjo wrote: »
    Talk is cheap!

But you know, all this talk of Demo is heartening... have it pre-installed on the Switch on Day 1 and allow a limited number of 2p bouts, and I'm willing to keep an open mind :D

Demo would be sweet. Really looking forward to this game a lot.
    The artistic direction looks great.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Josey Wales

I think I echo most of the statements in here by saying it looks pretty shallow. I'd happily download and demo and love to be proved wrong though.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think I'll wait to try it before buying.
    It might be a lot of fun but it's not a genre I would normally buy into.

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭earthwormjack

My most wanted game so far for the Switch.

I find it strange so few people are unfamiliar with demo/showcase versions of games though, saying the game is light on content or shallow when reports clearly say otherwise.

The game is months away from release so a slow trickle of info will be released over time. Yabuki himself confirmed more characters, stages modes, gloves and single player.

• Advertisement

I'm familiar with demos. I'm also familiar with hype reels, which typically at least tease the stuff that isn't 100% ready to show you. Also, months away is not that long if they have to QA features that aren't even ready for a prerendered, controlled showcase.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Set for a March release is it not?

I guess we'll see when the reviews come out, I'll probably get Splatoon 2 for multiplayer until I find this on sale somewhere. It does look fun though

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,625 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Edge just did a nice article on Arms in their preview section, looks pretty good.
    It's playable with the Joycon, so possibly there's two player functions without a second Joycon set being needed, at least if you don't mind not using motion controls.
    Looks good

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,494 ✭✭✭Nollog

Set for a March release is it not?

I guess we'll see when the reviews come out, I'll probably get Splatoon 2 for multiplayer until I find this on sale somewhere. It does look fun though

April I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,342 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I'm just not interested in playing something with motion controls - especially at €60. If the reviews are good and there is some depth to it, I might pick it up after a big price drop.

I read that it can be played without the motion controls too, where I'd imagine it possibly uses the sticks for the punches and the buttons for movement, in order to be able to curve the punches in the same kind of way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

I think a purchase of this depends on whether it's more like Punch Out than Wii Boxing.

And how good it is as single player.

I think a lot depends on whether this or another semi-essential title ships bundled with joycons in a good value bundle. Currently the buy-in cost for the big ticket mode (2 players flailing at each other in your front room) is way too high for a new IP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭kevin2me

Ive played arms and have some Youtube vids up @kevin2me but they horrid but it shows the fun I had with Arms. Its a definite get from me. Can see lots of competitive fun with arms.

Ud forget ur holding joycons when playing it as they so dam small. You simply clinch your fists and it feels like you simply punching the motion unlike wii motes they were too big unlike jon cons...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

There are just too many games out there to waste time and money on something like this. Shallow is being generous. It looks like a tech demo that should be bundled with the console. I also find it hard to seperate motion controlled game with shovelware.

A definite no for me.

• Advertisement

Apparently what's been shown so far is a very small taste though. I thought it looked slight, but look forward to hearing more so I can decide better.

Kirby wrote: »
    There are just too many games out there to waste time and money on something like this. Shallow is being generous. It looks like a tech demo that should be bundled with the console. I also find it hard to seperate motion controlled game with shovelware.

A definite no for me.

I'm on the same boat. I hope they go all out for e3 and give me some solid information.

Show another stage. Show someone playing online with a pro controller, possibly with another guy watching from the couch on his own switch as Spectator, controlling the camera and then effortlessly posting the video online. Show Dhalsim and Mrs Incredible getting a cameo. Feed the machine, Ninty!

And they really need a catchy song that explains the game in two lines, like "I'm a kid now, I'm a squid now"

Kirby wrote: »

A definite no for me.

There's a fair few videos out there that show the depth of the fighting in the matches. The motion control like/dislike will always separate people of course but the fighting seems to have plenty of depth after watching more videos of it, the initial video didn't get that across anywhere near enough.

Corholio wrote: »
    There's a fair few videos out there that show the depth of the fighting in the matches. The motion control like/dislike will always separate people of course but the fighting seems to have plenty of depth after watching more videos of it, the initial video didn't get that across anywhere near enough.

I don't have a problem with motion. I'd even say I enjoy them. That's how I'll play arms.

But rock paper scissors style gloves and curving your arm isn't deep. That's basic IMO. I want depth.

A decent sized story mode, loads of characters, more than one game mode, many many rings etc.

/\/ollog wrote: »

A decent sized story mode, loads of characters, more than one game mode, many many rings etc.

A little more info here regarding modes, characters and arms if it's any use. There'll be more stages too, themed after different characters I'm guessing. Although what has already been shown was hardly going to be all the content in the game.

http://nintendoeverything.com/arms-producer-on-the-games-origins-more-news-about-content-to-come-controls-more/

Character introduction video.

Weapon showcase.

Definitely looking forward to this.

Thought they'd said there'd be more characters etc...?

Star Lord wrote: »
    Thought they'd said there'd be more characters etc...?

I think they'll go the Splatoon route with this, and roll out content in the weeks after release. Splatoon looked light on content too and ended being one of Nintendo's best new IPs in years.

• Advertisement

Splatoon is a mostly-online team-based decorator. There was a decent reason for holding back weapons and maps and feeding them in piecemeal - to try to keep the playerbase on a reasonably even pace. It was a pretty new concept that required new dynamics (both for Nintendo and for the players).

Is Arms filling the same role? It's a fighting game, and while it has some nuance, the focuse is still on pounding the crap out of your opponent, this is a twist rather than a revolution. It's 1 on 1 and presumably any online game is going to follow the same format and rules as any offline game against the CPU so this is one where you can hone your craft before you get in the ring unlike Splatoon. Arguably the fewer options available on launch the greater the chance of the player-base to split, like overheated milk, into the curds of expert players who have mastered the limited number of arms and stages available and those left 'whey' behind. Yes, I know, that was masterful.

And that's assuming this is an online-based game. Surely just as much - and probably a whole lot more - an armchair vs experience? So what, I pay full entry price and I don't get access to everything I've paid for just so you can artificially control an online mode I have no interest in? One which you have STILL not told me anything about other than that you're going to charge me for it at some point - will that include gating future content for Arms offiline if I don't pony up for online? Talk to me, Ninty!

I really hope they don't pull a Splatoon on it. It's a poor fit, and it's a bad time. Similarly, now that Splatoon is out there, the skills have been developed and the strategic awareness is in place, there's no excuse for holding content back from the launch window of Splat2n other than as yet another snub to WiiU owners, pretending neither the console, nor the previous release, nor the players who made it successful ever happened.

Advertisement